Anyone in here grow orchids?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Orchids are a fave of mine as well! Here's an Oncidium "Carnival Costume"
I've rebloomed it for 3 years now.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

A Dendrobium "Salaya Minist" I've rebloomed for 3 years now.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Another:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Beautiful orchids Tommy! Indoors or out?

Outdoors from end of May until just before first frost. The Onc. and Dens and been blooming now for nearly 2 months. The Brass. blooms in spring. I have a Nun's orchid starting up one spike so far.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Do you have any transition problems when moving them in or out?

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

Well I had read over at toptropicals.com that she uses coconut shells to "plant' them in and I had to drill some small holes to get the "milk" out before cracking it in half so it won't be hold any water in it and I didn't plant it in like a normal plant I went by what y'all had said above. I printed it all out to go by. so I am planning on ignoring it so to speak and just mist it when I think of it LOL

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Tommy, and welcome - your orchids are beautiful! I am begining to think I am the only person on the planet who is a dismal failure with them!
Jen

Islandshari,
No problems with bringing them in or out. They don't get direct sun just bright indirect light. They love it out doors, the light and the breezes do them good and the cool early fall weather helps induce spiking.

Braveheartsmom,
I am a failure with Phals so don't feel bad! I kill more phals than anyone I think!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Phyllis, good luck! Sounds like you've got it started well.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I have a dendrobium planted in half a coconut shell and it's doing fine. I also have an Oncidium Nanboh Waltz 'Bosa Sweet' in a whelk shell (similar to a conch). The shell has a big piece of the top part broken off, so it doesn't hold water at all. It's been in the shell for 3 years and blooms every summer. I had one orchid growing in a high heel shoe for a while. I peeled back the sole at the toe for drainage. Did fine! Below is a link to that orchid.
Barb
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1312277691066400418SrKxBm?vhost=home-and-garden

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the tips and support I knew If I asked in here I would get answers.
I will make sure to take some pictures if it does anything so y'all can see

and Barb a high heel now that is an idea for a conversational pot.

Tommy wow those are beautiful

That high heel orchid is a hoot Barb! Very inventive.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Love the high heel planter! Gee, I have some heels that I never wear.....sure could put to use! LOL!

Ocean View, HI

I live in Hawaii and grow orchids as a hobby. If you have a garden my best advice is to take it out of the pot and find a big old tree and tie it to the base, cover the roots with rocks we have lava rocks so that works! Orchids are really an air plant so they really don't need any dirt. My girlfriend has an orchid farm that is just spectacular and I enjoy visiting and walking thru her greenhouse. This is how I started by watching her. I have many different varieties that I have used to landscape our fish pond with and I must say it does look rather tropical. All I do is take them out of the pot and lay them around the rocks and they grow!! Some orchids only bloom once a year so don't think it's dead if it doesn't do anything for a while. Not too much water either they really prefer a lite misting with a spritzer.

Hope this may help -
aloha

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Aloha Anne! Welcome to Tropical Gardening! What part of HI do you live?

We used to live in Kailua / Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, HI back in the 60's! Still love it dearly! You are very lucky to live there! Hope to see you around here again!

Aloha Anne, welcome from me too, don't be a stranger - I can use all the help I can get learning to garden here in Hawaii!
I would love to see a picture of your fish pond with the orchids, I bet it's gorgeous!
Jenny

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hi neighbour!!!! Where abouts in OceanView do you live? Is that HOVE?

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.