Chickens for Hart

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I took grandson JR to the State Farm Show today.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They have quite a poultry exhibit. Which I just happen to really like.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I took a couple of pictures and started to think about Harts chickens.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart how are you doing with your chickens?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just a couple more.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Last one, Hart hope you enjoyed the birds. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I bet she will . I did. The first one should be named Rod Stewart.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Pretty Tweeties, Holly. Thanks for sharing.

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

Rod Stewart. :) Chickens have come a long way. Enjoyed the pix, Holly-thanks!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful chickens, Holly Ann! That's so sweet of you to post them so I could see them. I especially love the fancy feathered ones. I don't have any of those except for one Buff Brahma with feathered legs. She looks like she's wearing pants. LOL Oh, and the Ameraucanas have beards, which is cute. They are the ones that lay blue/green eggs.

My chickens are doing fine. They started laying in October and, although they slacked off a little for winter, I'm still getting about 5 eggs a day. I was getting 9-10 eggs a day before winter.

thats a lot of omelettes!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Liked # 2 a Halloween Marti Gras Chicken lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I tried to get a nice sample of the very interesting chickens. They had the cutest ducks. Didn't get any pictures of them they were Bantam Ducks small and so cute.
Glad you liked them Hart and everyone else some of them were pretty wild to see. This group is a little tamer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, Glad your doing well with your chicks. We use to have a few laying hens, I've always liked chickens.
This is the shot that I really missed. They had a couple of Peacocks and while I was trying to get a good close up shot of his tail he turned his beautiful blue green head and looked right over his shoulder at me. A perfect shot that I missed, but the tail close up looks pretty good. This is pretty much it unless you want to see cows. LOL

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful photos, Holly Ann. When I was a kid, we used to go and spend the night with the lady who took care of us when my mom had her cancer surgery. She lived on a farm and they had peacocks. They were so spectacular. But so mean. LOL

I've never seen bantam ducks, I'll bet they were adorable. I like ducks but don't have any water for them here. Can't have them get into the water gardens and eat the fish.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Trying to catch up after being gone for a week - OMG Holly - I was driving through Dover on Thursday on my way home from Maine and saw all the signs for the State Farm Show! Thought to myself, this MUST be big to warrant traffic congestion and parking signs! Great pictures - brings back fond memories of my chickens - well, almost all fond :) Loved our Plymouth Rock hens, but your fifth photo looks just like our old rooster, Andy, who I hated - the feeling was mutual LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, Yep it really is a big to-do. You should have stopped by. Besides all the farm animals, you could have watched the draft horse or pony pulling contest, the sheep to shawl contest is always a big draw, Ric and I took little Jr and we watched the tractor square dance. Those guys can really drive a tractor. There is high school rodeo, lots of 4-H completion and tons of farm equipment for little ones to climb on. Then there is what everyone really comes for. The food, baked potatoes better than you have ever had, pulled pork and beef sandwiches, potato donuts. My favorite maple sugar cotton candy.
These friendly guys have been clipped and groomed and are ready for their competition. Jr 4-H Sheep Grooming.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

A girlfriend on mine in NC raises Chickens... Hope you do not mind if I add to the thread..

Thumbnail by JennGroves

nice chickens. that puppy a camera magnet or what?
Chicken story- Took kids to local park that has some farm animals. There was a chicken roosting in an unused feed cup of some kind, mounted on the wall of a cow stall, a nice size for her. When we approached her, she would start buck-bucking quietly. Closer we got, got louder and more frquent, till we got to her limit and she would blow up with a loud cakle BUCK BUCKBEGUCK! then we back off and she's back to the quiet. We got a good laugh out of the 'chicken alarm'

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

My friend is a little nutty with her chickens. Some stay in the house with her

Thumbnail by JennGroves
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, You are welcome to add pictures. What beautiful chickens and that dog is gorgeous. We've had quite a few animals over the years and have slowly cut back to just the house pests (as Ric calls them).
We had Bard Rocks and some kind of large golden red hens. We left some of them run loose for awhile. They would clean up the spilled grain in the barn. One of them would nest in one of the horse's feed bucket. I would have to chase her out and collect the egg before I would feed Twiggy. Sometimes you'd go down and she would be sitting up on her back. LOL

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Another chicken story: My friend, Lesley, from Cricklewood, England, grew up in a tiny row house near London. The house had a tiny back yard barely big enough to stand in. When she came to the US, Lesley had about an acre of ground, which felt like a great country estate to her. She had dogs, horses, chickens. One chicken was a special pet and would sit on her lap or beside her on the couch in front of the tv with her feathers all fluffed out. One day Lesley called in to say she would not be at work for a few days because of a death in the family. When the office manager found out that is was a chicken who had died, Lesley almost lost her job. But those of us who knew her knew that she truly loved that chicken like one of family.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

... I love those English!

(snort - DH is from Blighty, too)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.