HELP!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Need suggestion
for a blue Ameona tall bearded for a friend
Thanks

Santa Ynez, CA

do you need a suggestion for a blue iris in general?

South Hamilton, MA

Sky Puffs=clouds

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

An older one but still lovely, 'Dover Beach'.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

how blue-light blue?

Thumbnail by notmartha
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

For those of you not familiar with the terminology, "amoena" refers to an iris flower with white standards (upper petals), and colored falls (lower petals). In this case, Anita is looking for recommendations for a tall bearded iris with white standards and blue falls.

Santa Ynez, CA

one that is absolutely beautiful is Busy Being Blue, if one had to choose one blue that is what I would pick.

Santa Ynez, CA

in response to laurief, I would then choose Mariposa Skies

South Hamilton, MA

Help needs a new name, not an existing plant. Introduced amoenas are great by this seems to indicate a new seedling waiting to be called something.

South Hamilton, MA

If you want an existing plant 'Whole Cloth' has been in commerce for years--first grown in Indiana. Mariposa Skies has done well in different climates as has been sugested. I must have misinterpreted the original question. Look at a couple, one can use different seasons of bloom, an early bloomer followed by a later bloomer to have a long amoena season.

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Best Bet

Thumbnail by Ladysaltfire
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I like Sierra Grande.

Why a blue amoena in particular, Anita?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the explaination laurief. I appreciate that kind of info.
I learned something new today, I just doubt I will retain it.

South Hamilton, MA

Does 'Stairway to Heaven' have enough contrast for you? It is a good grower.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a friend in Israel who is looking for tall bearded. In exchange he sent me VERY VERY rare species aril seeds. Blue and white are Israel's flag color and I will get him what ever he wants
:)
LadySaltfire love Best Bet
Iris MA stairway may work as well
there are a lot of reverse amoenas thanks to Keith Keppel

keep trying
I will send these recomendations to him and see if he is interested in any of them
A

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

both of those I sent langbr
thanks for the info

A

This message was edited Jan 9, 2008 9:27 AM

Santa Ynez, CA

Best Bet is awesome, it grows well and is a re-bloomer the colors are incredable:)

South Hamilton, MA

I liked reverse blue amoena ,'Brussels' (T. Johnson) at Mid-America garden in 2006, but have not seen it anywhere else so don't know how it grows.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Clouding Up...

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

...Colombia Springs....

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Color Coded...

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

...or Elegant Pursuit.

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Habit, although it seems more purple than blue to me...

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

...or maybe Ruffled Ballet.

Thumbnail by weegy12
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Weegy12 I sent him pics of Elegant Pursuit, Colombia Springs
and Ruffled Ballet
Thanks
A

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Glad to have helped. I love sharing my photos anyway!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Yea so do I
A

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

;-)

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Weegy..with all your irises you should have some blooming by now, don't you ? Mine are a month behind but almost ready to open.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yes I do have a few blooming right now, Sandy... It is so nice having them blooming now. I took 2 pictures today of 2 I have blooming here in the small garden but the big garden has quite a few more. Will take pictures of those and share.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I figured you would...yes, share the pics when you get them.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

All those photos were beautiful! As I look out on my snow covered landscape, I am amazed that anyone has iris blooming this time of year. I am definitely living in the wrong place!
Can't wait for the new pictures.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I hear you, Paj! Guess our snowcover is good insulation for the rhizomes and helps to keep critters from munching. Trying to look on the bright side!

Love the pics of all the beautiful amoena's. Louise, I especially like the ruffles and subtle blue falls of your Ruffled Ballet.

I know this pic of Full Tide isn't an amoena.....but it's blue!

Thumbnail by jh_gardens
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you so much jh. I also have Full Tide. Blue is my favorite color and it's so good to see all the blue combo colors I have.
Paj, none of the photos I posted are from right now. I took them last spring. But I do have some blooming, just none of the blues.
Here's 2 I shot from my small garden here.

Here's Floorshow...

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

This is bluish/purple, no name that's blooming. It's a very reliable rebloomer with lots of buds.

Thumbnail by weegy12
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

notmartha.....hi there !.......your 'Babbling Brook' Iris is beautiful ! Thank you for your input........we love seeing photos of everyone's Iris ! Got anymore?!

weegy12........your flowers are always wonderfully photographed !! Please keep posting them !!

avmoran.....hi.......'Keizer's Heritage' is another amoena that you might want to consider.
I received a 'Keizer's Heritage' from Schreiners last summer, and I can hardly wait to see it bloom this year!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Granny, I'm glad they're being enjoyed here as much as they enjoyed in my gardens.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

jh_gardens, I love your picture of Full Tide. It is so blue. I am going to have to get one of those one of these days. I think I used to have it years ago and somehow it didn't get moved to this house.
Yes, I am sure the blanket of snow is good for the irises, but it is pretty hard on me! I still have a lot of time before my first bloom.
Weegy, your pictures are much appreciated. It really helps me get through this long cold winter.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Awwwww, so glad I could help. Will post more when I get pictures from the big garden. There's quite a few blooming there. I am sooooooooo looking forward to spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.