I did it!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I have joined the list of people who own the Harbor Freight 10x12 greenhouse. I ordered it last night. I think I have read just about all the websites and forum posts of those who have purchased and made modifications. In a nutshell, poor instructions, panels can blow out, anchoring issues. Am I missing any major issues that need to be addressed during installation? Looking forward to installation so I can get my seedlings started. Woo Hoo!!!

Melanie

Edited to say the 10x12 greenhouse, not the 8x10, don't know how I goofed on that.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 10:37 AM

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Don't forget re-inforcement Melanie! You need to brace it in some way. Some used metal post on the inside corners, someone else used metal poles across the inside where the roof meets the side walls.

Good Luck and congratulations!

MollyD

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Molly, missed that bit of important information. I'll certainly look into doing that too.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's a thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/793181/ where oldmudhouse talks about it. She's also got a thread showing step by step what they did but I couldn't find it. You might dmail her about it. She's very nice.

MollyD

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Melanie, Molly is really the nice one. ;-)

I finally built a little blog showing how we put up our Harbor Freight 10x12 and modified it for strength. We had a typical NM day here with annoying wind all day (I dunno, I guess 30-40mph) and I was glad for all our extra bracing and those screws in the poly panels...no worries!

If you've read many posts already, you may have come across most of the key points. I tried to put a lot of good ideas from many people in one place, and there might be some things in here that are helpful to you:
http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/08/this-is-greenhouse-we-bought-link-it.html

Congratulations, and feel free to dmail me anytime!
Sheri

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow Sheri, Here's a great big hug for your blog. I had seen it and my DH has said I need to start printing everything out.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

See post here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802813/

I will try to get a pic of the redwood frame inside.. my GH won't move a bit now.. I love it! No more rattling panels either.

I couldn't screw the panels in, I wanted to be able to remove them in the summer. The tape worked like a dream for me. Might not for one that big, but it's sure a big help. With the clear tape, you can't really see it either!

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

ZZsBabiez, I love removing panels in the summer too! In case it helps, I have all my poly panels secured with either one or two screws, and I can still remove any panel in just a few seconds with a screwdriver.

I remove panels to get easy access to things (I had to fish an extension cord behind a shelf the other day, and I didn't want to rake my arm over a shelf full of cactus, LOL!) I also take the panels in and out to replace them with screens I made to fit in the openings. The screw goes back in the same hole, pop the clips back on, and it's securely back in place. So, if you ever need to add a screw through your panel into the horizontal brace, don't worry about not being able to take your panels out.

The redwood frame sounds pretty too...there are many ways to modify these so they do what we need. I will look forward to seeing pics! I am not sure the shipping tape would last long for me (nasty desert sun fries everything here) but I'm not sure.

Melanie, I agree with your DH. I did print out other people's pictures to take outside with me when we built the greenhouse. The pictures really helped, since the manual only has small drawings. (Apparently there are no cameras in China.)
Sheri

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't use my greenhouse in the summer at all so I will be able to add caulk as well as screws to my panels. This is a high wind area (especially in winter). Right now we're under a high wind advisory, gust up to 50MPH.

Hi Sherri!!

MollyD

This message was edited Jan 11, 2008 4:52 PM

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow talk about fast delivery. I ordered the greenhouse on Sunday night and the delivery guy came today. 4 days is all it took. Time to get busy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

melsalz,

Please post pictures as you work! I know I want to see what you :-) and I'm sure there are others who would like to see them too.

MollyD

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Melanie, congratulations! Mine is not an HF, but I just joined the ranks as well. I'll be watching to see how it works out for you (and steal any ideas that I can use in the bargain.) LOL!

La

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

This is what I've done so far.

Thumbnail by melsalz
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL! You go girl!

(that really tickled my funny bone for some reason).

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

ROFL! Good one melsalz ! Now get that site prepared so you can start emptying that work of art ;-)

MollyD

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

Melsalz,

I have some projects that look amazingly similar. Could we be long lost cousins?
Mine usually have weeds around them though. Im sure weeds grow much faster in Arizona.

Farmergray

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I must be related to both farmergray and Melanie. We let our Harbor Freight GH age in the box for many months before tackling it (but only to let the flavor fully develop.) No weeds but a good coating of desert dust to add a nice patina...

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad you guys liked my attempt at humor. Unfortunately things work pretty slow around my house. Couple of things out of my control are holding back progress. We own a backhoe, we need to get it out to help with leveling the site for the green house. Thankfully we have had quite a bit of rain here this past month. But this has made the ground too soft to bring the backhoe out. Was hoping to make a stab at it this weekend but looks like we might be getting a snow/ice/rain mix on Thursday. That means continued soggy ground. Soooooo

Mel-

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I'm baaaccccckkkkkk! Hope your all still around. Here's where I'm at after a 4 year hiatus!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242728/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.