Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 2

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey Guys and Gals, a brand new thread to chat about everyday things. We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/799046/

So, what's new? : )
~Lucy

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh don't I know how rough things look out there right now! I just went out today and dumped about 40 pots of pansies! And believe it or not, only one of the planters was busted, I was so surprised.
Clicking my heals, trying to get Spring here more quickly!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

oooo Misty,,, 40 pots?? wow.. I bet they will be so pretty. I can't plant pansies (deer food here) hmmm, just thought about my mustard greens. They better not even think about them.. Spring,, well, we had 17 and 20 degree temps 3 nights ago and then it turned warm. high 60's today.. and 70 tomorrow, then rain. Bring it on. oh yes, I have to show my carnival amaryllis --again.. giggle
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

I have a couple of planters that have broke, but the plant broke them, not the cold. lol
Sorry about yours.

Elaine, that amaryllis is beautiful. Your mom picked out a pretty one. She taught me how to float amaryllis seeds to start them. I have a few lil babies now. : )
~Lucy

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I thought they might do better out of the pots, so I lined one of the beds that is along the driveway with them with hopes of them just taking off and growing all over! LOL
Ya ya, keep showing the Amaryllis and making me mouth water! LOL
These planters were only 50 cents a piece, flowers and all, so no biggy! :) These were the $15 ones originally, too! Shaun did good one these for sure! :)
Amaryllis seeds-someone sent me some, but I don't think they were, cause they were limp, flat, and yucky looking. I ended up throwing them out after a few weeks cause nothing was happening.

LOL Amaryllis seeds always look limp and flat....

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

OOPS I forgot! LOL about the move that is!
I had never seen the seeds before, so didn't know what to expect from them.

Yes, like Dutchlady said...they are limp and flat. LOL Next time you will know. : )

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I grew some old varieties from seed and it took them forever to come up.. Also some rotted from too much water.
Elaine here is my Christmas cactus,,

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

Wow, that cactus has more blooms than leaves. Very pretty, Elaine. : )

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just toss the amaryllis seeds on a tray of potting soil and get good germination. Then pot up the individuals when they are big enough to handle. I had about 100 of them coming along last year til the dern lubber grasshoppers found them and ate them leaves, bulbs, and all. I just noticed a few days ago that a few of them survived the attack and are now about 8 inches high (even after the freezes). They probably take about 3 - 4 years to reach blooming size, but I'm willing to wait to see what sort of new hybrids they might make, or if they revert back to the standard red amaryllis. In any case, more is never enough for me with amaryllis.

Jeremy

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you,,,, The leaves looked awful actually..I almost killed it back in the summer. Guessed that shocked into blooming so well.
Elaine

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

oooo, I hate those grasshoppers. I remember those awful big ones when I was growing up.
Elaine

Jeremy, I don't know how you have time to do everything you do, and garden, too. I would feel snowed under. You always amaze me. : )

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

We didn't have grasshoppers here til I started gardening, now watch out! We had them all over the place growing up, but I liked playing with them then! LOL

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Good fish bait..
Elaine

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Are they good for anything other than fish bait?

That sure is a pretty cactus plant DD. It is good to be home! Will plant my Amarillas now that I am home.

Welcome Home, Rene. We missed you! : )

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome home sis!!! Get them amarillas in the ground.

Elaine that is one beautiful Christmas cactus!

I am so tard I have been taking christmas decoruptions down all day. Have one more day of it and i should be done but now everthing looks so boring. ugh guess I need to get something for valentines.

Lucy do you stay up late like i do?

I just looooked at the old thread KNOTHEADS? Only in the south lol

You have to be patient with us Lucy we are just a little slow!!!! hehe

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I found this for knotheads and though it was cute! LOL

http://www.mysweetdreamsbaby.com/images/Knotheads.jpg

That was cute, Tammy. : )

Linda, I am more of a night person than a day person. I think I went to bed about 3:30 this morning. Tonight will probably be around 2, cause I'm tired. Just me and the kitties up right now. : ) DH goes to bed between 9-10.
~Lucy

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Lucy. :)
It is nice to be up by yourself and just enjoy the piece and quiet, but thinking I won't make it to 2am like I did last night, even after a short nap on the couch today!

I think I trained myself to stay up late when the kids were little. It was the only time I had to do things I wanted to do. And then, I started staying up late waiting on them to come home.

But then again, I have always stayed up somewhat late, even when I went to school. I was always sleepy after lunch period, and could hardly keep my eyes open. I never fell out of my desk, but it's a wonder. lol : )

Cute tammy!

Thats about me Lucy i go to bed anywhere from 1 till 3. I used to go to bed early and get up early now i go to bed late and i don't do mornings at all.

Tammy how do you sneek those naps in with little ones?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I really never was a night owl until I had kids. I was one that never had to be told to go to bed cause I was always there before they knew where I went! LOL I didn't even care if we had company and my friends were there, when I was tired I went to bed. Sienna is a real night owl, which causes me to stay up later than normal just waiting for her to go to sleep. She is gonna have it rough when she has to start school in the summer! Glad to hear you never feel out of your desk! LOL

We have a fellow Missourian that will be on The Price is Right tomorrow! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well DH was home today, so it wasn't so hard. :) But even if he isn't, her room is right here at the LR and I can nap on the couch while she watches Toones, etc...Don't happen often, but she is great when I do! :)

Linda, I like mornings, but I don't see many of them. lol I do try to arrange all my appointments and my MILs appt. really early tho. Sometimes 7:30 or 8, because I hate to sit in waiting rooms. That is one of my pet peaves.

It is good to be home & no plant losses except some coleous, thanks to my wonderful sisters who covered my Orchids, not a one was hurt! I have a bloom on the tree, a white one! Not quite open yet. Lorine

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

ohhhh, I am soo jealous on that orchid bloom.. I have grow lights on mine...sighhhhhhh, coleus are cheap...
Now, funny,, I am working in 2nd grade for a few weeks. And I had 4 of them go to sleep on me this morning. Well, one was sick, bless his heart. Now, that really shows trust the way I look at it. And they obviously needed the sleep. And not one fell out of the chair. yawn,, I personally do better around 8 in the morning til 10 at night. Of course, I never had little ones or big ones,, LOL
I like early doc and hair cut appointments.. they have to be sharper.. so to speak. ROTFL...
Elaine

Rene...Hope you had a real good time. I tried to keep Elaine and Linda out of trouble while you were gone. (snicker)

Also, I didn't get to see Linda's Christmas decorations in person, you think she could put them back up so I can run down there and see them? Maybe I'll ask. : )

Take a picture of your orchid so we can see. My white one has about 8 fixing to come out, which will probably be 16 blooms. I can't wait. : )
~Lucy

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Just stopping in to say hi! Hoping we don't get blown away with everything going on here. Had an unconfirmed tornado about 20 some miles West of here that was suppose to have taken out some buildings!

Oh my, Tammy. : ( You stay safe, and stay tuned into the weather. I hope no one was injured in those buildings. Tornadoes scare me.
~Lucy

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Lucy! They keep giving severe weather updates on TV, so I hope they will keep us updated on what is 'close' to home! I went through one years ago as a kid and it scared me like the dickens! We had one come through here last year that missed us by about 2 blocks. It swayed our tree in the front yard and I had to run and wake Shaun up! LOL He works nights, so was sleeping during the day. It took the roof off of the Middle School Gym where my middle child was and it was way late when he finally made it home. We wasn't allowed to get to the school to pick him up, I was a mess!
Oh, your seeds went out today Lucy. :)

Thanks, I'll get yours out probably Weds. Is it cold up there, will the plant freeze?

I just looked at the weatherbug for your area...it doesn't look very nice up there tonight. What big city are you close to that I would know, so I can better visualize where you are?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I think it is suppose to start getting cold this weekend.
Closest to us would probably be St. Louis and Springfield. Or if it allows zip codes you could try ours-65559. It isn't doin much here yet, and I hope it stays away!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately, 3 have been confirmed dead in Marshfield, which is closer to Springfield. THe one closer has 25 dead cows and lotsa damage with power outages. If I disappear it doesn't necessarily mean we got hit, having puter problems, too! :( The other went to PC Heaven AGAIN, so using the old SLOW Dell till we can see if our friend can fix it again. They did just say that the worst has not hit, that another front is coming through, but hope it stays far away!

Yes, it let me put in the zipcode. That's some nasty looking weather.They have a watch box all around you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.