Anyone Have Seed Sowing Instructions For These Seed?

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

I've searched the internet, but unable to get seed sowing instructions on these seed. If anyone has ever grew these from seed please email me or post here the instructions. Or where I can find instructions on the internet. Thanks in advance!

1.) Brunfelsia Americana
2.)Michelia Champaca
3.) Lactea
4.) Cestrum Noctrum
5.) Akatsu Ki No Tiuyu....I think this is the correct spelling.
6.) Heia No Umi
7.)Brunfelsia
8.) Heliopium Indicum

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never tried any of these from seed I can't help you how to start the seeds, but I might be able to help you search for some of them better.

#3 lactea: this sounds like a species name rather than a genus...there are a number of vastly different sorts of plants from different genera that all have this species name, so you might find better info if you know the genus name to go along with it. Here are all the plants in Plant Files that show up when I put lactea in the species field, hopefully you recognize one of them as the one you have: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=lactea&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

#4 Try spelling the species nocturnum instead of noctrum

#5 I think Akatsuki is probably one word

#5 and #6 I'm assuming are both Japanese morning glories? If so, I'd just search instructions for how to sow JMG's, the particular cultivar shouldn't make any difference in how to start the seeds.

#8 Try spelling the genus Heliotropium rather than Heliopium

(Zone 9a)

cannagirl, can you post some scanned images of those seeds.
If you can show me those seeds and give me a good idea of what
climatic conditions the plants do well under I think I can help you.

I'm already going to go with the plastic bag method for the Cestrum. :)

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Ecrane for all those tips. It has been a big help, I'm happy to say! Lol, it never occured to me #'s 5 & 6 were morning glories.

Germinater, Sorry my printer doesn't have a scanner, and my camera decided to stop working before Christmas. Thank you for the offer, and if you don't mind, when I replace my camera I would love to send pictures.

(Zone 9a)

If I'm still around I probably will not be up to much.
I'll be waiting. :)

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Hay Dollie, those should be
Heliotropium indicum
Brunfelsia lactea.

The JMG should be
Akatsuki no tiuyu
Heian no umi

This message was edited Jan 6, 2008 8:03 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Good Lord, Ecrane,

You are amazing! How on earth did you figure those all out?

Suzy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've grown Cestrum nocturnum and Heliotropium, so I knew the right spelling for those right away. And I knew there was a plant called Euphorbia lactea, so because of that I figured lactea was a species name not a genus. And the Japanese names I figured had to be morning glories, the other plants that I know of that have Japanese cultivar names are things like hydrangeas that you would need to start from cuttings rather than from seed.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

You're good!

S.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah, ecranes good! I've even stalked (lurked?) her posts at times because you never know what tips and info she'll provide along the way :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Everything I know I learned here! :-) I guess I read a lot of books and magazines too, but really a lot of what I tell people is just things that I've learned from other people here!

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Caren (Heavenscent) & Ecrane3, I'll get the correct spelling on them.

Lol, just amazing Caren & Ecrane3......I still don't understand how either of you knew !!!! You both are just mind boggling with your knowledge. Now I know who to call when I need this type of information: 911-Heavenscent or 911-Ecrane3. Thank you both so much for all the help you given me.

La Honda, CA

Brunfelsia should be planted fresh and kept warm - they may take a while to sprout, upto a couple of months. The Cestrum nocturnum should come up in a couple of weeks warm.

(Zone 7a)

Hello Cannagirl,

Since straying into the morning glory forum a couple of years ago, I have learned that Akatsuki no Tsuyu and Heian no Umi are cultivars of Ipomoea nil, and EmmaGrace asked me to write up her notes on germinating the most commonly grown Japanese MGs like those belonging to I. nil. Those directions are in a link in this post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4300616 . I loved her step-by-step method that helped me to understand when, why and how to nick large seeds like these.

But let me point out that I piggy-backed her essay onto Critterologist's thread on germination that became a compendium over time of lots of valuable info relating to germination. The way so many folks pooled their knowledge (much of it learned on DG) kind of reminded me of days singing in a choir - it's a thread of many voices. Of course, if anyone else should like to chime into it, too, new harmonies would be most appreciated.

ps - It's nice to keep track of which species a morning glory belongs to because of some very interesting goings-on with regard to crosses & hybrids. Ipomoea nils (1) have been bred since ancient times by the Chinese and then the Japanese to have a wide variety of exotic, gorgeous silky blooms. Ipomoea purpurea cultivars (2) may be somewhat less showy, but as a rule have more disease resistance and vigor than the nils. Well, Dr. Yoneda hybridized Ipomoea nil with Ipomoea purpurea in the 1970s to produce Ipomoea youjiro (3), which combines the characteristics of both. Watching these genes play out in my garden from seeds shared with me on the MG forum made for one of the most fascinating summers last year of my gardening life.

(1) http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/slides/slide068-079.html - some of these I. nil cultivars were lost during WWII and are being bred back into existence; others were kept going by private gardeners in spite of the war's destruction.

(2) http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/slides/slide164-177.html

(3) http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/relatives/04_3.html Ron_Convolvulaceae says that I. youjiro is now mostly comprised of genes of I. nil with very few (if any) genes of I. purpurea present. Theoretically, we should be able to hybridize both I. nil and I. purpurea with I. youjiro.

I hope y'all don't mind my stuffing so much information in this post, but if anyone is fascinated by the mysteries of germination in general, then germination with regard to one of the most mutable (changeable) plants on earth has got to be a compelling direction in which to go.

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

J.L. Hudson thank you for the growing tips on Brunfelsia & Crestum Nocturnum. It has been a BIG help!

Bluespiral, Bless you for all those threads you posted! What a ton of information that I, and I'm sure others will use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.