In flagrante fructifero...

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I found Ilex verticillata 'Shortcake', 'Tiasquam', 'Quitsa', and 'Aquinnah' (Gay Head) growing in what I would call a bramble of invasives at Polly Hill

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

My untrained eye was unable to distinguish any differences between the four Ilex verticillata. I. 'Shortcake' did however seem to have a darker leaf, and although I expected it to be a smaller version I didn't notice any size difference.

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Ilex verticillata 'Tiasquam'

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Ilex verticillata 'Quitsa'

Thumbnail by runktrun
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think a levee broke in Edgartown...

Nice run, runk - what a bumper crop of oncoming fruit! I hope the relatively regular rains keep going here, and I may just be able to match you berry for berry (except for the Vaccinium).

That viburnum with the ? is Viburnum dentatum or a very close ally. That's handsome for a tea viburnum, too.

Reading a little deeper on Polly Hill's selections reveals that 'Shortcake' is listed as semidwarf, but that all of these were chosen and named for hardiness and drought resistance. 'Aquinnah' ("gay color by the seashore") was additionally selected for dark red depressed globose fruit. I guess after 30+ years, they'll all reach similar dimensions.

But to more important matters.

It's not often that I drop what I'm doing and run to google for an hour and a half, but that there (above) is the first I've heard of (much less seen) Viburnum melanocarpum. Sheltered life I lead here among the commoners, I reckon. Good one.

Shame I couldn't find anything written about it! Plenty of citations of where it's from, but nada on hardiness, cultural information, or much else. Suddenly the Ilex as subject have taken the back seat.

Did find a website listing 441 different Viburnum taxa - like Christmas in July...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

How about a fruit of a different flavor.
My callicarpa getting ready for fall.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Weerobin,
Great looking callicarpa and much further along than any in my neck of the woods actually I am feeling as though mine hasn't had leaves for more than a few weeks. Do you know how early in the fall your berries change color?
VV,
You've gone ahead and given me a great excuse to stop back at Polly Hill to ask about Viburnum melanocarpum and of course buy a few plants while I am there as well.

The town/tribal village of Aquinnah (Wampanoag for "land under the hill.") changed its name from Gay Head some time in the last ten years. Gay Head is in reference to the colorful clay cliffs and was coined back when whale oil was the oil of choice (shortly after the revolution). The Vineyard Sound was loaded with ships headed further out to sea with the high hopes of slaying the mighty whale and becoming a captain of great wealth. Acid rain has taken its toll on the cliffs which are not as brightly colored as they use to be, but that doesn’t seem to bother the nude sun bathers that hang out there today.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Runk, my callicarpa is still flowering on all the distal stems, but nice berries forming proximally.
The one I posted is callicarpa dichotoma Issai.
If I dust off my rusty neurons I vaguely recall Issai implies either early flowering or early fruiting, or both.
So maybe that explains why mine's ahead of yours.
But it's a very rusty neuron, so I'm not really sure it means anything.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, all,

~~Just peeking into this forum because we are getting ready to plant a number of shrubs and trees on an acre yard (mostly sunshine but some shade with various wet and dryish areas in the yard. We are in Zone 6 (Cincinnati) and have wet winters and hot humid summers.) There are so many great suggestions on this forum it's hard to narrow the field to just a few, but thanks for all the good info and tips, everyone!

So I want to plant some shrubs for the birds and I was wondering if the Winterberry is a good candidate? My neighbor has one out by her mailbox and it is drop dead gorgeous in the wintertime (I bet it's that 'Winter Red'), but do the birds ever eat the berries?

Also would like to plant some viburnums in a hedge row. Are there some that might work better to shield out the neighbors' yard? I thought I could possibly interplant them with some conifers or evergreen for a mixed border effect. Is that a reasonable idea? I wonder...

And back to the hollies, I would like to plant 3 or 4 evergreen hollies that don't get too big and rangey. Is there one strain/variety that is better than others? Again, I would like the berries for the birds.

I'm making a new thread for my questions about spruces (or other conifer type possibilities) so I hope to hear from you over there on that one.

Thanks so much. t.

Thanks again. t.

About hollies---I've been wanting this cultivar from Rutgers.
http://agproducts.rutgers.edu/red_beauty.html

I'd be interested in any opinions about it. I like the columnar form, size, and fullness.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I planted Cotoneaster frigidus in April after seeing the pic Resin posted. I wasn't sure it would do well here but it looks good despite our weather up to near 100 degrees recently, with humidity. I didn't think to ask, is it self-fruitful? I only have one plant.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Cotoneaster frigidus .... is it self-fruitful?

Hmmm, not sure. It is naturalised around here, the one in my photo is a bird-sown tree. So of course, there's plenty of them around. But I have an idea it may be a self-fertile apomictic species. If I remember rightly, it started flowering/fruiting age about 9 or 10 years; it has fruit every year, but variable quantity (a good crop last year, about half that this year). Watch out for fireblight.

Resin

PS Nice to know my posts have some influence!!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Who's got berries?
My callicarpa is doing it's thing.
Here's a shot of a mixed planting w/ typical and white berries.
Let's see those viburnum berries!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's Viburnum dilatatum Michael Dodge, with Erie in the foreground.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

V. nudum.

M Dodge, closer.

Blue Muffin from July. The birds took care of these quickly.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Callicarpa again.
Still looks great.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ilex verticillata

Thumbnail by Weerobin

OK, got things together enough to show off a few.

Viburnum x 'Conoy' - whole plant

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Viburnum x 'Conoy' - up close

Viburnum setigerum up close, young plant only 2 feet tall and cicada-ravaged...

Another (slightly older) tea viburnum...

Look what my Cotoneaster frigidus brings!

Thumbnail by Resin

Here's looking at ya! Thanks for the berries!

Thumbnail by Resin
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That's one happy bird--love those pictures!

Thanks!

More pics on the Bird Watching forum here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/973581/

Resin

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi John I just want to say the Witch Hazels came and look fantastic.
Viburnums here are sad. Beetles have ruined them beyond what 6 years of neglect did.
I doubt DD is in the market for more.
Patti has been so great steering me at you.

ge1836:

Glad they arrived, and that you're happy.

Sad to hear of victimized viburnums - but who is DD?

Patti is P. T. Barnum's separated-at-birth twin sister, I think.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You are a riot just as Patti said
DD is my daughter Sarah the solid citizen. The other kids didnt make the cut as to who I would be living with.
My litter counts up to 4 all daughters.
Happy to meet you VibValley

This message was edited Apr 24, 2009 5:01 AM

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Viburnum Valley, I have just begun garden for the birds, and must say that your 'Winter Red' winterberry are beautiful...Got to add winterberries to my garden, for sure!
DeeS

You will not be sorry to add winterberries - read up on them, and find appropriate pollinating partners, so that you get the full fruiting flourish.

Where in the world is Ladoga? I'll look it up in the map book...

And...it's not too far from Lizton! I have bought scads of plants from a woodies nursery there. You should be able to grow Ilex verticillata just fine, if your soils are even remotely similar.

You should also have as many other species as you can cram into your landscape, and work on converting nearby residents as you inevitably run out of space. The birds will appreciate a neighborhood full of choices, and people will realize that their efforts have value beyond treats for the eye.

Cornus, Amelanchier, Viburnum, Sambucus, Malus, and so many more will diversify the seasons that will be fruitful - for you and the birds.

Here is some of the display provided by Viburnum dilatatum.

Quoting:
Where in the world is Ladoga?

Huge lake just east of St Petersburg, Russia.

Resin

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

VV, Lizton, is only about 16 miles away.(and Resin, altho, I love water, I do not live in a lake..lol..). Last fall, I hit a great sale where they had all of their shrubs (2 or 3 gallons??, anyway they were nice sized), on clearance for $5-$7. While they weren't all marriage material,( to each other, anyway..lol), I figured it was a start. So, I grabbed anything that might produce berries.I bought viburnums, Autumn Jazz,Mohican,Arrowwood and 2 American Cranberries, a service berry that bloomed beautifully, this spring, and is making berries, as we speak.I also grabbed a variegated red twig dogwood.I have also added American elders, 3 Northern bayberries(very small, but they will grow),and a rosa glauca. I have a neighbor that has viburnums. The only one that I'm sure of that she has is Korean Spice, altho I know there are others. I must get over there for a visit.
Also, VV, I have oodles of the info that you have written here, and the GW, copy and pasted into notepad. Thanks, so much, for your generous sharing of info.
DeeS

I imagine the birds are sending you "thank you" notes by now.

Glad to have been of assistance. We'll expect full reports, replete with pictures of progress.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Haven't received any thank you notes yet, unless you count what one robin dropped on my head while I was mulching the other day..lol.Being the true gardener that I am, I had to finish the mulch job(was almost done), before getting in the shower.Will definately post pics as things progress..
Dee

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

As fasincating as it sounds, I can skip the post of the bird dropping...

That's known as free fertilizer - 'bout the best birds bring.

Cotoneaster frigidus does it again . . . this time, Redwings

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Billingshurst, United Kingdom

Took this pic today when walking the dog across a housing estate. I thought it was a Malus, but now not so sure. Anyway, it is lovely

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.