Southwest RU, aka Spring Swap 2008

Phoenix, AZ

It's official: We have Ramada #2 at Papago Park, Saturday, March 29, officially starting at 10 a.m. and ending whenever everyone is either full or exhausted from swapping!

NOTE: Directions from Tucson: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Tucson+AZ/625+N+Galvin+Pkwy+Phoenix+AZ+85008/

MAP of Papago Park: ftp://www.phoenix.gov/pub/PARKS/papamap.pdf
Wildflower info: http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hikepapa.html

There is both water and electricity at the ramada.

If you have not already done so, please stake out your spaces to list all the haves and wants.

A few die-hard souls are needed between 9 and 9:30 to set up. So far, that's Alma, Christina, Marie and Lynn. D-mail me if you can assist in either set-up or clean-up.

BTW, I gave this an all-encompassing "Southwest Round Up" title just so members know this is for ALL members, not just us here in the Phoenix area. Start planning now, you New Mexicans, Californians and Texans! We'd love to meet you.

NOTE: Sunday, Feb.l0: It has come to my attention that one DG member has put out an open invitation to the Swap on Freecycle. That message/invitation has been cross-posted to another forum. If you are reading this and you are not a member of Dave's Garden, please consider how the swap works:

1) It is a Dave's Garden member event. Although members often invite friends and family, it is a private group event and is not "open to the public".

2) Both attendance and parking are limited by the Parks Department so it is important that we know how many are planning to attend.

3) It is not a wholesale plant give-away. Although DG members are very generous and happily share, most plants are 'spoken for' in advance by members who are looking to trade one thing for another.

4) You are MOST welcome to join Dave's Garden and participate in our Southwest Forum. If you love plants, gardening, and the fun of talking about all that, you'd love being a member here! We LOVE new members!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2008 9:16 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Excellent!!! Ok, this is MY space... mine I tell you... lol... I have nothing for the list just yet...
Brittany

Phoenix, AZ

Alma's space. Ditto Brittany.

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dan's Space

Working on things now...will post when I have it figured out.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 11:02 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Jill's Space
I have:
--rain lilies (surprise!) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2536/
--hopefully some tomato seedlings of various OP/heirloom cultivars, although no guarantee yet

I will start on request:
--male clematis drummondii (another surprise!) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53218/
--Parry penstemon
--kalanchoe http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54655/
--salvia coccinea "Lady in Red"

Reserved:
--C drummondii for TF, Ben, Marie, SunnyAZ, Robin, LoneDiver
--C. drummondii seeds for Lynn
--rain lilies for Robin, Rodica, Christina, Diane, Brenda, 2manyplants
--Parry penstemon for Ben, Rodica, Robin, LoneDiver
--kalanchoe for Robin, Marie
--blackfoot daisy for Robin
--salvia for Marie, Robin, Usha
--hollyhock seeds for Brittany

I'm on a quest for:
--Roving Sailor, aka Twining Snapdragon, aka Snapdragon Vine (Maurandella antirrhiniflora) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1203/-- I will get from Ben!
--Red Jacobinia (Justicia candicans)

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 5:45 PM

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 8:08 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Christina's Space

Seeds to start at request (lots of each!!!)-
Cypress Vine
Alyssum (Golf and Rosie O'Day) *I've not had luck with starting these from seed yet but will continue the effort!
Globe Amaranth
Moonflowers *There are at least 40 seeds I can start upon request
Cosmos (Sea Stars)
Nasturtium (Scarlet Gleam)

Herbs-
Jalapenos
Parsley
Thyme
Cilantro

Reserved-
Cypress Vine seedling-Marie
Cypress Vine seedling-Ben
Moonflower seedings x 3- Marie
Herb seedlings -Usha
Basil seedling- Robin (if you can't get a larger one)
Rosemary transplant- Robin

This message was edited Feb 16, 2008 4:13 PM

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

♥♥♥♥♥ROBIN'S SPACE♥♥♥♥♥

I HAVE:

CUTTINGS/SEEDLINGS ***Will pot up on request***
-Evening Primrose (4 - more seedlings as requested - also have seeds) http://www.azshowcase.com/Roses/07EveningPrimrose.jpg
-Aloe Vera 'Medicinal Aloe' (as requested-ea. are 6" or more) http://www.azshowcase.com/Roses/AloeVera1007.jpg
-Peanut Cactus (1-4 healed over babies that fell off) http://www.azshowcase.com/Roses/PeanutCactus1007.jpg
-Golden Pothos (12 rooted cuttings in water-huge leaves) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/56204/
-Spider Plant Variagated (several pups and Mama plants in water) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/33106/
-Snapdragon Seedling (dwarfs are dark purple w/yellow throats, regular are mixed colors) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=dwarf+snapdragon

SEEDS
I contributed all of my seeds to the Community Seed Box.
If you requested some from me, they're in the box. :-)

I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE:
-Basil (apple cider vinegar killed mine)
-Mint (any flavor)
-Herbs (Thyme, etc.)
-Lycoris (Red Spider Lilies/Surprise Lilies)
-Rooted Rose cuttings
-Blue Hibiscus

CONFIRMED/RESERVED TRADES:
- FROM: TucsonJill -Blackfoot Daisy, Rain Lilies, Parry Penstemon, Kalanchoe, Clematis C drummondii
---------
- TO: Ben -Morning Glory 'Grandpa Ott's seeds, Yellow Oxalis
- TO: TucsonJill -Marigold 'Sweet Cream' seedlings or seeds, Night Blooming Cerus Cutting
- TO: NewHobby -Snapdragons (Dwarf & Large), Mama Spider Plant/Pups, MG 'G.Ott's', Golden Pothos, Yellow Oxalis
- TO: MarieOrtiz -Four-Nerve Daisy, Night Bloom Cerus Cutting
- TO: TomatoFreak -English Lavendar 'Silver Frost'
- TO: Bsavage -Yellow Oxalis
- TO: RodicaP -Yellow Oxalis, Freesia Bulbs (pre-blooming)
- TO: MrsJ -Freesia Bulbs (pre-blooming)

COMMUNITY SEED BOX
Heirloom Cantaloupe
Okra
Gourd
Baby's Breath Gypsophila muralis
Red Poppy Papaver rhoeas
Mexican Evening Primrose Oenothera speciosa
Candle Bush Senna alata
Indian Mallow Abutilon palmeri
Jewels of Opar, Fame Flower Talinum paniculatum
Shoofly Plant Nicandra physalodes
Wallflower Erysimum 'Pastel Patchwork'
Red Yucca Hesperaloe parviflora
Hollyhock Alcea rosea ' Red' and 'Summer Carnival Mixed'
Desert Larkspur Delphinium parishii
Vinca, Madagaspar Periwinkle Catharanthus roseus
Swamp Hibiscus, Scarlet Hibiscus Hibuscus coccineus
Flame Tree, Royal Poinciana Delonix regia
Yellow Bells, Trumpet Flower Tecoma Stans 'Sundance Esperanza'
Sweet Pea, Common Sweet Pea Lathyrus odoratus
Morning Glory, Tall Morning Glory Ipomoea purpurea 'Grandpa Ott's'

NOTE: All seeds above can be found in PlantFiles .

Robin

This message was edited Mar 21, 2008 4:15 PM

Ben's Space -- Now I "get" it! You use THIS space to keep track of the plants you want and are offering. Sorry. Still learning! ☺

Thank you to Jill for the Clematis

RESERVED:
"Tassie" Cuttings (if they cooperate):
Brenda
Jill
Marie
Lynn
Rodica
Alma
Brittany
Jane
Robin

"Kiss Me" Seeds to Robin (or if you want them before, please let me know and I will post them to you)

"Kiss Me" Seedlings to Rodica -- If I can get them to grow. If not, I will bring you some seeds.

Milk Thistle Seedlings: Rodica & Marie

Hollyhock Seed Mix: Usha, Brittany, Rodica

Wish List:
Penstemons -- Thank you again Jill!, Oxalis, Brugs, Gaillardia (blanket flowers), Echinacea, any herb, Heliopsis, Buddleia, Agastache, Globe Mallow. Hopefully a division of that "never say die" lavender she has growing from Rodica!

Allt he best,
Ben

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 8:22 PM

This message was edited Feb 24, 2008 1:21 PM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2008 12:47 PM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 3:01 PM

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 1:13 PM

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 7:43 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Marie's space

I have varigated lilirope (sp)
About 5 lycoris bulbs

Robyn-Basil seeds, lycoris bulbs
Jill -passion vine
Nancy-varigated lilirope
Jcochran- Lycoris bulbs
Ben- desert hyacinth
Ray- desert Hycainth

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 11:15 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Ben, I've got about a billion Parry penstemons. By end of March I may have either plants or seeds--I can't remember when the seed is nice and dry. Let me know if this is one of the ones you want!

I am losing it! All the fresh air I got today has definitely had an effect on me! I thanked Robin for the Clematis when in fact Jill, I should be thanking you! Crikey!

I am hoping to collect as many different varieties as possible and the Parry is WONDERFUL! LOVELY! I hope I have something really cool I can give you for all you are giving me.

Thank you Jill...

Going to fix my previous post now... LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

No problem at all, Ben--I've certainly mixed up more than my fair share of names myself! I'll have either seeds or small plants for you come swap--have to see what I"ve got when we get there.

Hi Jill,

How wonderful. I thank you. I really hope to have some Tasmanian violets for all who want them. This is such a wonderful plant. Here is a piccie . . . .

Thank you again Jill.

Thumbnail by
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, reminiscent of "johnny jump ups"...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Oooh, those are pretty! Do they take our sun, or do they want some shade?

Hey Brenda - Yes, they have the pattern of a Johhny Jump Up but these are petite flowers. I used my macro lens to shoot these. I am attaching another piccie. I LOVE these flowers. I discovered these at Rillito nursery growing in the ground. They dug some up for me because they didn't have any for sale.

Jill, they will take Eastern sun but that's it. They will live and thrive through the summer when protected from the sun. I have all mine in pots. This is a trailing plant so it will overflow a container in no time. If you put it in full shade, you won't get many flowers. I create new plants by taking the runners overflowing the pots and burrying them in new pots. Before you know it, they have rooted and you can cut the new plant from the original. They are also not a huge fan of cold but they bounce back wonderfully when it warms. I have some overflowing at the moment that I have started in new pots. I hope to bring several with me by the end of March. I should be able to.

Thumbnail by
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ben would those violets make it in morning sun and afternoon shade? Since they were growing in the ground at the nursery I take it they self seed or is it from the runners?

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 11:14 PM

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ben I would love love love your violet! I used to have this, shared it, then proceeded to kill all of mine and those that were shared back to me :( It is a wonerful plant. I looked for it every time at Baker's this year the only time I saw it was in a huge liner type flat.

Uh, penstemon are the only thing you're after? I haven't begun my list yet, I should start thinking about it.

Hi Marie,

Yes and yes -- Morning sun and afternoon shade OR all day VERY filtered sun will be fine. I don't know if you make it to Tucson but there is a nursery called Rillito that has this plant growing in their demonstration herb garden. I believe that this plant will propogate mostly by runners but it must also self seed. When it "takes off" there is no stopping it. It is of course a weed in its native habitat but absolutely delightful here.

Hi Lynn -- I am going out today, small pots in tow and taking up any runners and burying them in as many small pots that will fit in the big pots where I have these plants. I had a wonderful specimen overflowing with runners and I started 1/2 dozen small pots all around it only to discover one morning that a resident rabbit enjoyed it for breakfast!!!!! I was not a happy camper. I think said rabbit is now gone because I have four hawks who have taken up residence near by and there is no more sign of plant damage. -- And I have less doves.

Anyway I have moved that specimen up higher and I am going to get as many starters going as possible.

As far as what I am after, penstemons come immediately to mind. I am "Easy Like A Sunday Morning" though and look forward to any and all offerings.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ben put me on the list for this violet them. I am sure I can come up with something for you :o)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Woo hoo! I'm sure I'll have something you "need" :)

Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

~Kathi's Space~

I will have cactus of course

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, if you have enough, Ben, I too would love one of those. I'll be starting some things for the spring swap, don't know what yet, but I'll have something for you too!

I just discovered that my oh-so-neglected work out room... which is no longer neglected (I'm kicking my own butt with Jillian's workout from the Biggest Loser) has a really nice couple of windows and unused dog crates on which to start seedlings! It's a win-win, it'll make my workout room prettier, and force me to go into it regularly!!! (Although truly, I can hardly type, I'm so sore from this workout!) OOPS, I digressed again.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ben, I would love a couple of Tasmanian violets. I absolutely love the way they look.
I do not kow what I will bring as yet but I will post it at a latter time.

Good gardening

Rodica

Hello everyone!

I am glad so many like the Tassies (as I call them).

I am going to make a list for all who want them so I can work on getting enough started.

So far I have:
Brenda
Jill
Marie
Lynn
Rodica

Did I miss anyone? How about you Alma?

I found it encouraging when I looked at the large pot dedicated to this plant. There were a lot of runners. The problem is when the weather is cooler, they take a while to root. I sure hope I have enough! Smiles.

All the best everyone!
Ben

Phoenix, AZ

Count me in, Ben! I love a plant that reproduces itself easily. Relieves me of a lot of work and worry. I think I have just the spot for your 'Tassie' - underneath my big chaste tree where it will get some morning sun and filtered shade later in the day.

Hi Alma,

That seems like the perfect growing conditions.

I think I will go out with a blow dryer to warm up the big pot so it will start sending off longer runners. I just pray for no temps below freezing.

Crossville, TN

Hi Alma....Would you like this Swap listed in the Round Ups at a Glance Forum? That way all can see it and be invited. Jo

Phoenix, AZ

Great idea, Jo! You want to do it? I didn't know this forum existed.

Crossville, TN

fI do all the posting of R U's At a Glance in the RU Forum...I'll put it on there tomorrow...I'm off to bed now. Jo

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Rodica's space.

I have some mystery plants. I had some seeds from Usha, when we had the swap at sir Jonny. To my surprise they germinated and they look interesting. I will take a picture and maybe somebody will identify them.
I will see what else I will have by them.
Reserved: Tasmanian violets from Ben.
Kiss me over, from Ben-I hope
Rain lily from Jill
MG seedlings from Nancy
Canna Begal Tiger from Nancy (if she has some)

Wish : some Perry Penstemons from Jill

I will bring reserved plants: Oxalis-Usha,Ben,Ray, Nancy, Lynn (am I missing somebody ?)
Queen Ann lace : Nancy
Lavender cuttings for Ben

This message was edited Mar 12, 2008 10:39 AM

This message was edited Mar 14, 2008 3:18 PM

This message was edited Mar 16, 2008 4:47 PM

I just figured out how this works. You use the post that marked your space to keep track of plants. Sorry about that everyone! I am still learning. I will be old hand by the autumn swap. Rodica, I have put you down for some seedlings but I am hoping to have actual seedlings. Wouldn't THAT be cool!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Rodica--got you covered! You're on the list for rain lilies and penstemon.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Have....just added some seedlings onto this list, the ones that say they are babies- please be aware they will require extra care.

2 baby orchid trees (3" tall! babies)

2 scarlett red runner beans

2 variegated ornamental peppers (these are babies!)

1 walking stick kale (baby, too!)

1 turk's cap rooting in water

4 red dragon asarina (very much babies!!!)

1surt's desert pea (baby, difficult to transplant!)

I will also have canna wyoming this time, no requests please! first come first serve, hopefully there will be enough so each member who wants one can have one.

for me :o}
Alan, chocolate rain lilies
Ben violet and milkweed seeds
Rodica, oxalis
Jill, penstemon

Reserved
Alan rain lilies
Jill rian lilies
Don- MG seeds
Mickey datura seeds
Judy intrigue canna, rodney
Brittany watercress
Brenda watercress, bloodflower, rodney, tree germander
Jim, canna, castor seeds, datura seeds
chris barleria seeds, rodney, bloodflower
Rodica milkweed seeds, rodney, bloodflower, tree germander
Marie walking stick kale, asarina, sturt's desert pea, tree germander
Nancy asarina, sturt's desert pea, milkweed seeds, rodney
Ben bloodflower, rodney, milkweed seeds, tree germander
Diane bloodlfower
Jane bloodflower, tree germander, rodney
Alma bloodflower
Susie Rodney
Robin rodney

This message was edited Mar 6, 2008 9:37 AM

This message was edited Mar 16, 2008 4:09 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will take a rodney baby. Where are you moving it to?

Lynn, may I request a tree germander? Thank you very much in advance!

Ben

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

If there are enough Ben! You're #5 :)

Marie, Rodney is going out front...a shadier spot where hopefully he will have larger leaves and be more attractive. I have him in a very sunny spot...so he grew and grew and grew all summer, was easily 6' by the time he bloomed in later summer. He also needs more room than I gae him, I kept having to tie him up.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

You can give mine to Ben Lynn. Rodney is going to think he has been a bad boy.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, I guess that moves him up the list then doesn't it? Rodney has been a bad boy marie :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.