Winter storage

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

I am interested in trying to grow gladiolus this year. Being new to this type of flower as a grower, I have read the various entries in this forum on gladiolus.

My basement has two windows and so it is not dark during the day. The tempature will be okey because it is not heated. In order to create darkness, I will use paper bags. My question is ... when storing the corms during the winter in paper bags, do I close the top of the bag or leave it open?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is just my opinion--I'm sure there will be others. I don't store glads, but I'm not in Ohio either. But when I do have to store any kind of bulb (such as oxalis in our hot summer) and I can't for any number of reasons, keep it in the pot it originally grew in (which I do for a lot of bulb storage) I use very dry sand and a cardboard box (small). I just bury them in the sand--and I repeat, it must be bone dry--and put them in a closet. Watch them closely, though. I have successfully stored a lot of bulbs this way for up to 6 months with no problem.

If your basement is at all humid, I would not store in a bag. I have stored bulbs in an open bag for up to a couple of weeks when forced by time constraints. But we have a lot of humidity here. Glads I always leave in the pot they were growing in and just cease watering. But I take it yours are new Glad bulbs to you, right?
:)
Debbie

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I followed this guide:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3864466
but used lunch size paper bags instead of nylons- they seem to be ok. Not sure :) It's my first year overwintering them, too. I didn't use any insecticide-fungicide, they are upstairs in a bedroom, so I get to check them often enough, that I thought I could dump the bad ones in time, if they did get mushy.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They must have air circulation. I have even run a fan on low for the whole winter.
We usually store them in our walk-in cooler so we can control temperature. This year we are in the process of rebuilding, so have no cooler. We stored them in a corner of our wood shop storage room. It is unheated & completely dark. Stays about 40º in there. So far so good.
What we use are homemade trays, 12" x 24" x 3" deep. A ¼" screen on the bottom. Spacers are put between the trays so air can get around.
The first year we stored bulbs, when we took them out in the spring there was lots of mold. Moldy bulbs don't grow. Years since, we have lost very few.

Bernie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have been successfully storing glads in slightly moistened vermiculite in sealed freezer bags at 8C/45F for years. Note Calgary is extremely dry which is why I need that little bit of moisture. This year I ran out of vermiculite and stored them in peat. oops they are growing roots and it's too early to pot up in my zone so I've put them in the fridge which is at 4C/39F. Hopefully this will slow them down?

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I also found some glads that were sprouting, I've popped them in paper lunch bags and stowed them in the crisper drawer. I hope it works, they're so big and plump that it would be tragic to lose them.

dahlianut, pot them up in what ??

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm worried too grannymarsh. This is the first time they've broken dormancy for me. I usually plant them out direct after May 24th weekend. But I have potted them up in clusters in one gallon containers in April in the greenhouse and then planted them out to have some earlier flowers (July). Normally glads bloom August/September in Calgary (zone 3a)

ps. how do I get my city and zone with my name on this site???? Thanks in advance.

Thomaston, CT

I used to grow many glads (when I was more ambitious) & sell a few--I also have a cellar with windows & a french door, but managed to store in peat in a large fish bucket (plastic, but long & not too deep). A few corms sprouted but the sprouts never got very long, & they planted well, & bloomed successfully--in my zone I started planting end of April, beginning of May depending on soil temp. Now, like my dahlias, I don't store--just leave in ground & start anew in Spring.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh lucky you Robin Dog being able to leave your dahlias in the ground, says the girl with a hundred tubers in storage. Whew alot of work!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wlmicroman,

After I pull them up I spread them out to dry, usually in the garage on the inexpensive plastic pot saucers, dust them with a fungicide and put them in the kind of brown paper bags used to carry lunch. I don't seal or even close the bags. Then I put them in a corner in the basement, which is about 60 degrees. I've done this for several years, and it seems to work well.

Donna

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

dahlianut, got to 'My Info' tab on the blue bar at the top. There you will find all of your info, on the left you will see 'manage my preferences' where you can add your local time, etc, on the right of that page is a box with 'preferences' where you can add your location.

I have left my glads on foil trays in my garage under a window. All but one of the largest (darn!) are fine, we have had some earlier frosts but they didn't get damaged there. I think I spilled some water in the tray which probably sat under the corm which started to rot. Some are just starting to make roots now, it's been mild.

Thomaston, CT

Dahlianut---I leave the dahlias in the ground, not because they'll come up again, but because I'm too lazy to pull & store, & find them rotted or withered. Saying that, we did have a few winters mild enough for both glads & dahlias to return--this is not one of them, however! My stepdaughter lives in Long Island, not many miles away from us, but 2 zones warmer--her dahlias return, but never as good as the originals. Do you have any favorites? I've ordered a bunch this year--hope to do better at the fair this year, but I like them all--I order from Swan Island, & Dutch Bulbs, & they seem very reliable.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I never met a dahlia I didn't luv RobinDog. Swan Island is a fav supplier in the US I hear but there there so many! By "Dutch Bulbs" do you mean "Van Bourgondiens"? I've heard they're great to. I am committed to ordering from Canadian suppliers only so that the availability and variety of dahlias in Canada will increase but I'm dying to order from VerwerBros in Holland.
http://www.Verwer-dahlias.nl/ The most widely known supplier in Canada is Ferncliff Gardens. They have developed some of their own hybrids which are worth checking out.
Do you have a particular form, size, colour that you prefer? or name for that matter. I HAVE to have the "Rumble Bumble" LOL.

oops we should be in the dahlia forum probably?

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the link---lovely flowers! I really like the cactus varieties, and those that have 1 color in the center, & another color on the tips. Saying that, I have grown all shapes, sizes, & colors, & have never found one I didn't like! The Dutch bulbs is Dutch Gardens--the company is in VT--expensive, though. The town to the north of us also has a bulb importer, Van Englund---but the catalog is not in color, & I've got to see the picture. Also I think you have to order at least 5 or even 10 of some varieties. But you should see the front of their property in Spring--tulips galore. What does "Rumble Bumble" look like?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is the 'Rumble Bumble'. Ignore the price. This supplier is notariously overpriced but it's my favorite picture of it. I've seen it in the US for $5.00

https://www.gardenimport.com/spblvl3.php?lvl=Dahlia&nm=BUMBLE_RUMBLE&ref=DA1475

Thomaston, CT

Very pretty--it has the multiple colors I like--I usually do't grow the collarettes, but maybe I should give them a try! All the entries at the fair this year were huge doubles--a gigantic yellow & lavender won best in show for all flower entries--the only flower of mine that placed ,was a second for a purple angelonia. Oh, well, every judge has a different like or dislike--I'll try again this year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Congrats on placing!! We have garden competitions for different spaces and I'm working towards entering one day. I'm ripping out the driveway next year and putting in a dahlia/rose garden that I think might have a chance to place. Even if it doesn't it will be fun to show here where not many do standard size dahlias. Let us know how you do in this year's fair.

Thomaston, CT

Dahlias & roses---Nice! Your zone is much colder than ours--5--so perhaps the larger dahias don't have time to mature? Good luck on your venture.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That's exactly the problem Robindog. If started in the ground they don't bloom here until mid-to late August and we can get frost then. I start mine in containers in the greenhouse in March but alot don't have greenhouses.

Thomaston, CT

Me either--my next door neighbor has one, & keeps only a few orchid cactus---she used to keep cockatiels in there--what a racket they made, plus I guess they ate her plants. Her husband died in July, so I don't think she has the cash to heat it any more--his cancer meds took a lot of money, plus they had adult kids & grandkids living with them--sad situation.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's my storage glads.
This room stays about 40º - 50º.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

911 HELP! MY GLADS ARE IN DANGER!!
Background:
"This year I ran out of vermiculite and stored them in peat. oops they are growing roots and it's too early to pot up in my zone so I've put them in the fridge which is at 4C/39F."

It's too cold. The peat is quite hard, although not solid and there are ice crystals in the bags!!!! Should I gradually warm them or do it quick on a heat register? Are they goners??? ARGH!!! Why didn't I check sooner.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I would warm them slowly & then get them laid out to dry. Might even run a fan over them.
We've had bulbs grow that we missed when we picked them up. Our ground freezes good in winter.
Best of luck,
Bernie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well like it or not the glads are awake and growing (the silly things). I will pot them up this weekend in bunches in large containers, and fire up the greenhouse. Not enough sunlight yet but that's the best I can do.

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Eeeek, I better go check on mine. They better still be sleeping...I dont have a greenhouse. : (

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They are in to warm of a place. Keep them under 40º 7 they won't grow.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

CountryGardens these VERY determined glads woke up in January and even accidently freezing them (oops) isn't slowing them down. They're at 37F and besides roots now have emerging albino foliage. See above for the history of the "texas" glads as I now call them. They got their name from me saying "Where do you think you live? Texas?" LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No wonder they are growing, you have them packed in peat moss. They need air movement.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin' LOL. Won't do that again.

Colville, WA

This is an interesting exchange of information. May I suggest if you are interested in gladiolus culture you check out www.gladworld.org ,in addtion to this site. This is the website of the North American Gladiolus Council. On this site you will find a wealth of infomation, including affiliate Societies, many of them in states you write from. There is also a forum open to the public. You do have to sign in which protects members from invasion of privacy. We have a forum page dedicated to Species Glads which is not use and I would invite those of you interested to contribute you knowledge in this area

Good growing,

LD

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you LD (ColumbiaViewGlads) for the website. It was perfect to learn how to grow my first glads. Texas_rose_mom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.