WS Container

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Does one put holes in the bottom of the container for drainage?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, nice big holes for drainage. Very important.

Karen

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

How "big" are the holes you guys cut into the bottom for drainage? On the winter sown site they say to make "drainage slits" on the bottom of your containers. Somewhere else I have read to make "pencil" sized holes. Also remember reading that you shouldn't make them as big as regular size plant containers. Would like some guidance on this since those are the guidelines I used for the ones I have done so far and would like to know if I need to pull them out of the snow in order to make bigger holes.

Mel

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 7:47 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I usually use a couple of slits about an inch long, made with a utility knife. I always put a couple on the very bottom side corners, where they will not be in contact with the ground and they drain better. I also swiss-cheese the bottom on the line that's elevated, also not in contact with the ground. Sometimes I poke a few small holes with an ice pick, but that just takes longer.

As the season progresses you can add more slits if you think you need them, or tape some up if you want less.

Karen

Karen
thanks for the info,,it was really needed as last winter I tried 1 container with no holes and got no germ.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, that's just sort of my haphazard method. Lack of drainage will keep containers way too wet and larger seeds can even rot. But then in spring my weather tends to get hot pretty early and I have to water pretty much too. I'm sure the drainage and ventilation you need will vary with your own weather, but you can adapt. I just think it always preferable to have too much drainage than too little.

Karen

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

To right, Karen, you can always water some more if it drys out too fast.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Drainage holes are very important! Soggy, saturated, smelly soil will quickly rot your seeds. What to do? Add more drainage holes! Problem solved!!

I also use an ice pick to make my drainage holes on the bottom and lower sides of my plastic jugs.

Do not try to puncture the container while having it resting on your lap. The ice pick or scissors can cause some nasty wounds!!! Always make sure your container is on a solid surface before make those drainage holes!!!

LOL, Shirley, I love it.......guess what I did to myself the first time I tried putting in drainage holes.........major DUH on my part.........

doccat5: Don't feel bad....been there done that too! Another major DUH!!! I just hope I'm saving someone that pain!!!

Doesn't it just make you want to smack yourself on the forehead!

SMACK !!!

ROFLMAO!!! Amen!!

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the great advice kqcrna. I was have done quite a few jugs and was worried that I did something wrong. I am definitely learning as I go!

Mel

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

mellymass: We all learn as we go, this is good. Except for a few basic principles, like good drainage and some ventilation, you are limited only by your imagination. Wintersowers come up with all kinds of unique containers to fit their needs. If it works for you, it's good to use. And most of us, after a year or two, have favorite containers because we know what has worked well for us and is doable.

Karen

Hi all you are still giving me info I need it seems.
Karen--what is this about ventilation holes? where do they go and how many?
In case you are wondering why I don't go to Winter sow org...I did..but it is very difficult for my eyes to cover all that info. My son got me a new monitor in Oct and I can make Dave's sight messages quite large so they are easy to read. I
can't make WS lines as big.
Thanks to you all for adding to this posy.
Helen
PS Now I see why I had no germination in my one container attempt last year. I had a swimming pool of slime green and black. I wondered where the seed had gone as by mid spring I felt through the dirt for it went (It was 1 tree peony seed I recd. as a gift with a trade.) So it rotted;;eh?
Duh, duh' and quadruple duh.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

gammy: You need drainage holes on the bottom AND ventilation holes on the top. How many and where will depend on the type of container. With milk jugs, just throw away the screw on lid and that opening will let rain/snow in and humid or too-hot air out of the container. This is very important. As the air temperature rises in spring add more and more holes to the top. Then remove the top (like the whole top half of a milk jug) when temperatures are right.

With other types of containers you will probably have to cut holes in your lid.

Karen

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I took an old woodburning set and melted the most perfect size drain holes(4) in the bottom of those plastic jugs. I sure hope it works. I even melted the sides back together. For me, half the fun is experimenting with the whole process. It is even more enjoyable because of all the expert advice available from DGers☺

Use your fingers to check to soil for moisture, if after a couple of days it still feels too wet, you need more drain holes. I use an old pair of kitchen shears and just poke some more holes in the container.

gammy, if you want to increase the text size in the treads, go up to the top on your browser where it says view....scroll down to text and over and increase it as much as you need :)

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

After using everything from a screwdriver to a nut pick to make holes, I finally bought a cheap soldering iron. Works so much easier. It doesn't smoke too much. If I can, I do all my bottles at once outside.

Wichita Falls, TX(Zone 7a)

I have used a knife, icepick, scissors, and soldering iron in the past. This year I used a drill. (And, yes, I did drill my finger.) DUH!!!

Necia

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

You can get a glue gun and they go thru milk jugs really easy they are cheap at the dollar store and put a hole or two at the top of your container just for air when it starts warming up.

I go to my recycle center and get jugs they are getting to know me pretty well lol

Lea

Hey, that 's good information, LeBug, thanks :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I find the quickest, easiest thing is a utility knife. I just slice and twist a little. I have also used an ice pick but that's slow and the holes are small so I usually end up making more slits anyway for bigger openings.

Karen

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Okay, I had to laugh a couple of times at these messages! :) I just made my holes today. I used a soldering iron. Last year, I used the knife-rather scary. The soldering iron worked wonderful. I put lots of holes in the bottom of my milk jugs. I'd rather water more often than have to punch more holes. Next, I am going to make markers with blinds. I'm doing this in stages. One day get the jugs and wash. Next, holes, and fill with starter soil. I finished cleaning all my seeds yesterday. I am a little slow. This fall just went too fast. I had so many things I had to tidy up in the gardens. Actually, the winter is going by fast also!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

If anyone is interested, I created these directions on how I wintersow. http://www.lakehousecreations.com/wintersowing_directions.htm

Excellent information and well illustrated, Anitabryk2. Hope you've added to the DG winter sowing database.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'll do it as I go. It would take too long to add all my stuff from last year.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, now you've given me another job to do. I put holes in the bottoms of everything, but not sure they are big enough, so here I go checking them and putting bigger holes. #*^##!!!

Anitabryk2 .....your directions make it seem so simple...thanks for adding the pics...they are always so helpful.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

What do you use to put holes in the 2 litre water and coke bottles and stuff.
The only way I can do it is with a drill and it's not always around. There has to be another way!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I've read the hot tip of a glue gun works, without the glue.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I use a utility knife

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Let's see, I probably shouldn't use a knife, I'd stab myself, probably burn myself with hot glue gun. MMMMMM Oh well, at least I'll have drainage holes.
Seriously, thank you. I have both, just never thought about it. Of course everyone knows with a glue gun you can do anything

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.