Germination Station

I just got a couple of Germination Stations and need to know if I need to keep the seeds coverd with the lid ? If so when do I uncover them ?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

flowerpower57 - Keep the lid on until the seedlings are starting to touch the top of the dome. Then, either transfer the taller seedlings, or take the dome off.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't wait until they're that big--once my seedlings have germinated I usually start weaning them off the dome. Otherwise it's too easy for it to get too humid in there which encourages fungal problems like damping off. I always do this gradually though, starting off opening it for an hour or two, then increasing the amount of time every day until the dome is always off. If you just all of a sudden take it away, the sudden change in humidity can be stressful for the seedlings.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It all boils down to what works for each person - and what seeds are started, I suppose. That is what worked for me the last few years. Climate might be an issue as well. Where in zone 8b are you, flowerpower57?

Monticello, MN(Zone 4b)

Weaning the seedlings from the dome has always been my routine. I usually prop up the dome as soon as the seeds have been up for a week. I have read that the humidity collected on the underside of the dome can cut down on the light transmission. Also, make sure you have good air circulation... a fan is a must!

I am in zone 8b also. It seems like takes awhile for my soil to dry out,so I guess that my air must be moist. I had two of my hibiscus to die so I took the tops off to let them breath some air. This is my first attempt to start seeds and I have already gooved up because I planted all kind of different seeds . I have found out that some grew tall very fast and some have now even come up yet.Different plants have diffrent needs so I guess that I should have planted all of the same thing. Boy is this harder than 123.Now where to find a bunch of cheap pot ?

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I know some people make pots out of newspaper. Also, I often use the small plastic solo cups, poke a hole in the bottom for drainage, and then keep them in a container you can cover. I use a lasagna pan with a lid and sit the cups inside.

Great idea ,Blue-eyes

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't do any weaning...lol (makes me sound so mean!) I just remove the plastic as soon as I get over 50% germination, but I do mist twice a day for a few days after I remove the plastic. I also start to water instead of mist after they have germinated (usually a few days after I remove the plastic) and then I start to let the soil dry out some to get better roots.

I think that I am watering them to much,because I can get them to come up but than alot of them die...argh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.