new to tropical gardening and could use some advise?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh my Randy! What are you going to do with them? I sure hope they find a good home...or are they past prime? What are you going to put in that spot?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Randy put them in my box and I will share with Phyllis.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I DO Have a box don't I?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hahahahaha....Christi, how could he possibly say "no"?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, girl, where you been?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Lolol!!! Go on Christi and rescue them! I can't babysit anymore...the two I have are driving me nuts. In one hand a bottle of Neem and the other a moisture meter, each time I look at them :(

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Computer problems and working in the garden! Lots to work on cuz we have had monster winds lately, and everything is being lashed to death by its neighbor! I have one Ti next to a bougainvilla...the ti looked like shredded paper after being whipped around and through the bouger! Christmas decor boxed up, put away...all that domestic brouhaha...How was MIL's birthday??

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Really, Jaye. started 4 from seed last spring. Mitch scared me to death by butchering a perfectly good plant right in front of me. Made 1 plant into 12 and all but 2 have sprouted. Haven't had a bloom yet. They are in my makeshift greenhouse and have some pretty cold nights. Have a cheapy heater from HD that is keeping everything toasty. Got to 75 today so opened the doors and let some fresh air and sunlight in. They look really good...so far.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Turned out really nice. Of course, her son, moi bestest friend did the cooking.
18 people showed for beef tenderloin, potato, salad of everything and potato rolls. Then the necessary birthday cake. She was really pleased and that was a thrill for Mike. And when he is happy, I am happy.

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

see what I mean here I am off to work all day come home after 9:30pm and get on to check things and I read my name for something LOL..leave it to LouC ....hahahahaha

Sure I am game to give them a try but am I gonna get to see what all is in the BOX????? LOL
Besides I do believe I commented somewhere about RJ could come and help me figure out what and where to put things...LOL

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mibus ~ I grow the bay ~ Laurus nobilis. Mine started life with me as a plant not seed so no experience to share there. OTOH, I have been told it is hardy and doesn't need tropical protection. I have it in a medium pot and still overwinter it on an enclosed porch with low temps of around 50. This winter, I am amazed as it is putting on lots of new growth.

A side note, this summer I picked up an allspice plant ~ Pimenta doica. I had it on the porch also, minimum temp 50. At 50, it wilted severely. I brought it in the house and in an hour of civilized temps it perked back up. In the house it will stay till summer. Have found a few more "tropicals" that react to the cold in the same manner so be careful and good luck.

thanks for the info podster I am hoping to get more herbs to grow but as with everything else I just have to figure out where is the best spot to put them so they are easy access to the house for cooking or for grabbing to take some in to work.

I'll keep everyone posted once the seeds get here and I get them going.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hey Pod, thanks for the tip on the bay laurel and allspice. Looks like my kind of ez trops!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

If you smell the allspice, you will know you are in the tropics! 8 )

whooo hoooo my seeds Magniolia champaca, laurus nobilis and stephanotis floribunda come today in the mail and they are soaking right now. they send a page of information directions with them......I am soo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Alright!!!!

now if I could jsut wiggle my nose and make them start growing LOL...I want more plants now

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You have the same tolerance for patience that I do, sweetheart. NONE

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Tsk, tsk, Christi...but Phyllis knows how to pray like us ;) Lolol!
Boy don't we need all the help!

Oh ye of little faith...hahaha..... I have patience..ya know I am a Virtuous woman...and one of those virtues is to have patience..Okay so maybe I ma not quoting the bible per word but the idea is there
Yes I do know how to pray and I know he answers in his own time so you have to be patient...but that does not stop the desire to want MORE PLANTS NOW ...hahahahahahaha

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Now, now, covetousness is not encouraged...but I do covet ALL plants.....still according to His will!! Lolol!

ROFLMAO does this mean I needot go find by bible and start looking fo rversus again I know they are there just dont recall all of them. LOL

my Plumeria Pudica "Bridal Bouquet" from Natural Selections Exotics
showed up today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am thrilled but it is in just a small little pot man I have to do some serious re reading to get this started any tips from anyone???????

and the seeds I ordered from toptropics came monday and are already soaked and planted to sprout

When you say small - how small are we talking?

3x3 and 5" deep
it is 3 ft tall ffor mthe top of the pot to the tip of the tallest branch
has 3 branches on it with leaves which I know probably will fall off due to shipping?

That's not too bad.....I am assuming you will keep this warm. In which case I would say step up to a gallon or even two gallon pot, nice, loose, well draining soil, and start fertilizing. Dynamite or another, general, timed release fertilizer is good this time of year.
It might keep some of the leaves; these are pretty tough plants.

Here's a picture of it

Thumbnail by Mibus2

It's terribly lanky. Once it is established you might want to trim that tallest branch off (you can root it easily and then you'll have TWO plants).

Here is what I would have considered a good looking plumeria Pudica plant....

Thumbnail by

Oh yes I will keep it warm it is staying in the house til it is nice enough to go outside

I wasn't expecting it to be so tall already I figured it would be small

and I am still planning getting with you once I get paid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.