new to tropical gardening and could use some advise?

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello All,

I popped into Tropical Gardening since I have had time to surf around with no work till Thursday.
Bad thing to surf around though *L*
I see LouC is here and a few other names I have seen around DG.

I got a portable green house from santa and have spent several hours looking at plant sites today.
Not that I would put everything in it since I only have some outdoor x-mas lights in it for a lil bit of warmth at night.
But I do have the itch to get some plants that I can grow in it once it warms up a bit more and will start out in the house til then.
I figured what better place to pop in and ask about some of the plants/seeds I am looking at and if any of you have experience in growing them that you might be willing to share :))
I've narrowed my choices down to the following....(has taken me almost all day to do ..so many to choose from I want too many of them)

From toptropicals.com
I am looking at getting
Magnolia (Michelia) champaca - seeds
Laurus nobilis - seeds
Stephanotis floribunda - seeds

and from Natural Selections Exotics
Plumeria Pudica "Bridal Bouquet"

I can do these in pots that can be taken inside in cold weather right?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Mibus, and welcome to TG.

Obviously I don't have to take plants in for the winter, but I believe Michelia, Stephanotis and Plumeria will all do pretty well in pots. I am not familiar with Laurus. Good luck with the Michelia, I couldn't get germination with those seeds at all, and ended up buying the plant.
We have some members that have awsome tropical gardens on the mainland, perhaps they will pop in and give you better advice than I can.

Jenny

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Mibus2...Welcome to our family!!!! 7b is a bit of a stretch...and stranger things have happened!!!
One of the 'THANGS' about tropicals is that the seeds usually need to be VERY VERY fresh... and this is not the time to find them fresh.

Good luck in your search....

Carol

Perhaps why I couldn't get any germination, that and a rather brown thumb! Bought mine from E-bay, probably not fresh at all as they had come all the way from England.
I have a Stephanotis seed pod on the vine right now, I would be glad to send you some fresh seed as soon as it is ready, trouble is I am not sure how long into the future thats going to be, it's my first Steph baby.

Aloha thanks for the welcome
I think I kinda meet both of you before when LouC had me pop over a couple months ago, but I started driving a school bus along with my cooking job so I lost where I had been *S*
I had mentioned that I have that lives in Hilo if that rings a bell. while looking at the wonderful pictures of all the plants and flowers blooming over there

Anyway the seeds are coming from Punta Gorda - Florida and they say they harvest them almost daily so I figure with them not costing more then $4 .95 for a packet I could give them a try.
The Laurus is actually Bay Laurel and IF it germinates then I can give one to my boss at the restaurant as we use Bay in our creme brulee and a few other things we make fresh.

If I had the means I would hop a plane and come get fresh seeds from HI *L*

Phyllis

Oh yes, Phyllis, that does ring a bell, so sorry, chalk it up to my senior moments which are starting to become more frequent. Anyway, welcome BACK.

Oh no need to be sorry I get lost and forget too not sure it is senior moments it just might be so many places to post at here LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

When you talk about tropicals, mibus2...remember they need a lot longer hours of light and more warmth than, perhaps, you cn give them. We grow Laurel...it does need warmth....

But....there is nothing wrong, at all, with pushing the envelope!!!!! Go girl.

Carol

Light won't be a problem as hubby has offered to put a floodlight in the greenhouse..he is thinking it would give off more heat then x-mas lights.
but then I do have some rose bushes in the back room that my mom and I bought when they were here for Christmas which they will pick up on their way back to Illinois from Mission Texas so I can make part of that room for plants if the greenhouse won't be warm enough.

I've been known to be one of those people that will try something just to try it and show it can be done :)

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Mibus, I believe I met you before. I'm a newbie here myself, couldn't help but chime in about the michelia champaca seeds. I was warned those are very difficult to germinate. . .that if you sow them in winter or spring, you would need a heat pads and a humidity dome. Michelia champaca is actually my 2nd choice. I wanted Michelia alba, which my sister has and is trying to air layer me a piece, but I'm not sure it will take, especially at this time. Alba seeds are sterile so I thought I'd like to try the champaca seeds, but I haven't ordered them yet. I may wait until summer. Would you keep me posted if you try them? Thanks

Hi karma I sure will keep ya posted as I ma going to try starting the seeds but in the back room of the house the site I ordered from has links on starting from seed so I am going to read up on what they have to say so hopefully it will work for me ...if not then I am only out 4.95 for the seeds

Are you the one that was asking about bamboo roots for the running kind? I still have plenty LOL with new shoots coming up all the time even in the chilly weather

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The Michelias are fairly easy to airlayer. I sowed some seeds of M. figos and nothing happened.

Consider flourescent lights over a flood light....cheaper to run.

They didn't' have any potted ones for sale that were in my range so I opted for the seeds to try.

Yes florescent is much cheaper to run over a flood light ...he was thinking of the flood light for the greenhouse at night for warmth and since he is talking about the back room for plants and my sewing machine I figure I will slowly work on getting things set up for plants back there.

If he is thinking we are growing grass over almost 2.4 acres in Texas then I have the right to work on plants for gardens, 2 pecan trees, 2 apple trees and flower gardens in the yard plus wonderful smelling plants in the house...giggles...right?

Then dream of how I could use everything to be able to stay home and garden instead of working 2 jobs

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Phyllis, I've often day dreamed of that too...I would always be busy full time gardening!

I have alot crammed in my journal/blog - and it might be fun clicking around and looking at pictures..
can give ideas...the most popular blog is called OFF THE SHELF GARDEN TIPS H202/ASPIRIN AND....it's a collection of ideas, techniques etc.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/rjuddharrison/

Rj

Thanks RJ wil check it out!!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Mibus, yep, that was me and the bamboo. Maybe I need to consider clumping bamboo instead. Do you have problems with it running everywhere?

AlohaHoya, I got that term air-layering from an old thread about propagating Mich alba. That was you! My sis was explaining to me what she did and so I started asking around and someone pointed me to that thread. She did something very similar to what you did. She has it in her unheated greenhouse right now. . .should we leave it be until spring or can we check on it? It's been about 2 months since she started it. Thanks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning everyone,
I've been following your thread Mibus2 for a few days now. I've been growing tropical in the same zone, and didn't think twice of any obstacles. I'm relatively a novice when come to germinating seedlings. Though, I've success and enjoy them tremendously when I tried.
I've noticed you've discovered the beauty of plumerias. The seeds are relatively easy to sow. As far as purchasing them I've had positive experience from www.mauiplumeria.com It took them a mere two days to ship their cuttings, and the bonus seeds they sent me. They germinated one by one. Some are slower than others, but I've got a 100% success with them.

Editted to add some threads that you may enjoy looking at my experience as my garden grows. I hope you'll find some tips on the growing of some of my tropical collections.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2116/

This message was edited Jan 3, 2008 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I am getting so excited I want tropicals now ...LOL

Karma I would say if you really want bamboo and it is not for a privacy screen for a large area go with clumping not running.
Although when I was at Chamblee's getting a rose for my mom for x-mas they guy waiting on me told me the best way to contain it without using plastic was to dig a ditch and put rock salt in it around the bamboo and it will not go outside of that area.
also keep in mind that what I have here was planted before we even got here and nothing was done to keep it in check sp hubby has spent his first 4 months in Texas cleaning and clearing up the whole lot.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I found a good site for bamboo info, and it addresses cold hardy and all!
http://www.bambooweb.info/

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Karma...I would wait on checking the airlayer...you can 'squeeze' it and feel if there are roots...but the more you leave it the best it will be! Good healthy growth hasn't started for this year yet.....

I grew running bamboo in Seattle for years and followed the directions given me:

Every August September the bamboo will put out underground runners perpendicular to the planting. The NEXT year these runners will pop up. SO - 18-24 inches out from the planting, dig a trench about 12" deep (without a barrier the runners usually don't go so deep) and snap off any of the runners. They will not have formed roots then. Year after year do the same thing....it works and the trench gets easier to work every time.

BEST IDEA...don't plant running bamboo!!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Mibus! Got to warn you that you'd soon be one of the 'deranged' group of trop addicts here! We also tend to be extreme zone pushers! But with loving hearts, many will ensure their adoptees' rate of survival are better with us being more informed. Hmmm. ..that said, is DG really a blessing being it boasts thousands of enablers?
RJ...you brought tears to these old eyes. I read 'The Year it Rained Friends - 2007' and the title itself touched me. Thank you RJ, you are a great friend too! Though I still believe you have some garden genies helping you :P
May your tropical gardening endeavours take roots like kudzu Mibus!

there is a site called bamboo crafts.com (all one word actually) they have a ton of info on bamboo and the guy who started and runs it lives in Austin TX that is where I found out what mine was.
But I do agree the best ida is DON"T PLANT IT ...LOL

heavenscape thanks for the warning but I think it is a lil late ...hahahahahaI have always had the plant gardening bug it was put into me by my grandma who raised and sold African violets form her basement and had flower beds outside and a big garden every year.
I just never had the room to really get into things ...mind you I still have to figure out the time frame to get everything done I want to do but heck who needs to sleep LOL

ok have to go came home to get my candy flavorings since we are dead at the resturant so we are going to make my hard candy today for something to do LOL...be back tonight

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Rj, thanks for the link. I read "the year it rained" too. . .I didn't want it to end, but I'm looking forward to your next one. . .2008.

Aloha, thank you for the advise on Michelia. I will ask my sis to give it a squeeze and a hug. :)

Mibus and everyone else. . .okay, NO running bamboo!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your sure welcome...
it was a fun year...

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

rj...where is the article...I can't find it and I want to read it. WAAAAH

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Carol, I think this is the link
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/rjuddharrison/
Scroll to the bottom for the Friends article. So much wonderful info and so fun to read!

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Hi Mibus!
You are brave with the seed thing. I am a wimp, and to make life easier, in your position, I would just get the plants at first and then work towards the seeds later. I REALLY admire the seed people. That takes great dedication, knowledge, and patience. It's hard to do in my position when the plant is for sale in front of my face.
Also don't listen to anybody who says "don't try to grow those here". Try anything you want. The rewards are great.
Good luck to you my friend!
-Don

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I now have it on the photo forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801989/

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh wow! My friends are all together now. Listen guys, Phyllis is the sweetest of the sweet. Promised her I would meet her this week but wound up with my grandaughter and well, sorry, Phyllis. I know you understand although you are way too young to have a grandaughter. I have sooooo many places I want to be at the same time. Let me just tell you, she never, ever sleeps. I have a wonderful basket sitting on my desk that she made from ......WISTERIA.....who'd a thunk. This girl never stops. I will not be surprised at anything she attempts.
Rj, just send a little seed or two and you will be sooo proud of the outcome. Carol, this is a keeper. Jaye, we got us a real friend. All of you, glad I found where you are hanging out.

Lou
C

Aloha Lou C - hope you have a lovely weekend with Payton.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay...what seeds am I sending?
I do have some Stephanotis floribunda - seeds on hand that I brought back from Hawaii.

Gee miss stopping in for a day and I have alot of reading to do LOL
Don umm thanks for the compliment...giggles...I figure if ya don't try you'll never know so why not try.
I can't afford to buy alot of plants right now even on sale so seeds are the cheapest way to go and IF it works then super if not then I try another road later. Instant gratification is great when you get a bug to get something but in the long run knowing you started it from a lil seed is so much better.
Tell me I might not be able to and I will try anyway just to prove the point LOL

LouC
Dang she found me ...hahahaha....Yes I understand they grow up way too fast so you have to enjoy the time you have when you get it.School starts monday so I will be back to driving the bus and working the restaurant everyday but Sundays unless school is out so we'll just have to figure another time out. ...I had wanted to get over and see Cocolulu too but didn't make it there either.
Gee your telling my secrets LOL...and ya know flattery can get you almost anywhere ROFL

to be honest I kinda already have grandchildren two girls I had in foster care several years ago came back to see me after I was divorced and brought their lil ones and referred to me as Grandma.
but hubbies middle son does have 2 children so I guess I am a step grandma, but they are back in Illinois and probably won't see them for some time.

hey Rj next time you go to Hawaii ya got room in your suitcase for me????
that is someplace I hope to get to see before I die and there is a 70some year old lady I have talked to for close to 11 years in Hilo I want to meet in person :))

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Phyllis, welcome back! Glad you got some time off from work so you could visit us in the Garden! I'm sure that you are getting some great advise from Randy's blog, and from the other folks...I'm just dropping by to say Howdy!

Thanks Shari I hope to be able to make it in if nothing else at night once I get home from work once school starts up again.

Yes Randy's logs are great reading along with everyone else and over in the plumeria forums they have some sticky's that Clare put up that are helping me get ready to grow mine along with other tropics so hopefully I will have pictures to share this summer. I just want my seeds to get here so I can get started with the stuff I ordered then start picking out what next to try and grow from seed ....(Oh no am I showing I am crazy for plants)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yup...Phyllis...you're showing signs of Plant Obsession Disorder!!! Ain't that wonderful? :=D
~Jaye

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not so loud ....don't let them look in the back room and see the 4 rose bushes and the 4 bags with cuttings in them hoping to root and lord knows not to look at my history to see where all I have been looking and dreaming at plants not to mention my nightly prayers for the Lord to show me the way to go to not have to work more then one job so I can be home more and do more in the yard and with plants.....ROFLMAO

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

psssst..at least you're talking to the One and Only right Man above!!
Nite nite Phyllis. :)

I hope he finds a plant for me I want to do so much here with all this room but need to find the time to be able to do it all

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Morning Phyllis!
Lolol...don't be like me!! I keep getting plants, cos "it's a must have" at that time!! Then found myself swamped when they arrived!! I tried to limit myself, but it's impossible..then I justify these enthusiasm to the Lord!!! He would want us to seek only GOOD activities!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pity, I'm just about to remove 6 huge brugs from the back garden. I'm clearing this area for new tropical landscaping...the brugs are so tall you see the trunks only.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.