Count down to Spring 2008/post your Spring pics!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

daffs from eflowergarden yrs ago

Thumbnail by notmartha
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

another one of my favorites....I should never have started..I'll be posting forever!!

Thumbnail by sarv48
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Keep posting I love them AND the daffs I have lots of them all yellow
G .

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i always lose my dahlias when i store them so i gave em up!

here is the myrtle spurge!

Thumbnail by notmartha

you could see this one way across the yard...it was electric!! Sure hope it spreads!!

Thumbnail by sarv48
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dorie where do you get your plants from ??? I want Need alot of them for the back yard this spring some for sun and shade
G .

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have been trading here at daves now for 7yrs and buy lots from local places!
Come over this spring!!!!

another tulip from eflowergarden!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll be there I cant wait to see your gardens
G

where do you live from the air port?.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2008 8:16 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Im on fraser rd(6mile) mackinaw road is 5mile
its between Hotchkiss and Salzburg(closer to salzburg)
im like 8miles from the airport(north-east)
im 1/2 mile south of US-10

Mini Iris

Thumbnail by notmartha
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I used to live on Salzburg on the bay-mid line
G.

are we planning a picnic at Dori's house? LOL

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Celandine Poppy

Thumbnail by notmartha
Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, sarv, it'll grow.......
and grow and grow and grow.....

I'd dig up all mine and send them to you, but it would take my lifetime.

This last week our local Family Fare had potted bulbs , just ready to bloom. (Daffodils, Crocus, Grape Hyacinth, and regular Hyacinth.) I'm kicking myself for not buying some. It set me salivating for flowery tea cups on the wall rack, potted bulbs blooming and bird music. Time for Tea! I got those Christmas decorations down SO FAST!!! LOL! And now the catalogs are here and I can't think about anything but spring! Tomorrow I'll dig out my dirty smudgy garden plan from last year......

This message was edited Jan 3, 2008 5:55 PM

pj- I need to find my garden journal and see when I started planting last year. If I remember correctly, I did wave petunias in January...and man were they a roaring success!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm going to plant my FIRST ever seeds this Tuesday on my day off
Gloria

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh dear... its only January and you gals are getting Spring Fever already?!?
I know about March I get antsy and go buy anything potted and blooming and then the nurseries start selling Primroses and then I really get Spring Fever.

Heres some Double Grape Hyacinths

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Heres the loot from last February's shopping at the nursery

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

sarv, you mean you started the seeds inside in January and then put them out after last frost? I might go out and get some seeds!

pj- I hauled out my garden journal from 07 and found that I didn't start my petunia seeds until March...waaaaaaa I so want to get gardening!!

The petunias were plenty big, so I will start them the same time this year!! Only 7 weeks to go...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I think the single biggest mistake indoor seed starters make is getting too eager to get going and starting the seeds too soon. Read your packages and go by what they say for your zone on starting times. If you start them too soon your plants will outgrow the pots and become 'leggy' and spindly because they really need to go into the ground. I find most seeds should be started about 4-6 weeks before planting time which for our zone is usually the last week of May or middle of May if you're having a warmish spring. That translates to starting seeds around April 1st. Some perennial seeds take longer to germinate so you can start them sooner. Know what you're growing and follow directions. Some seeds need a cold period and have to go into the refrigerator. Some seeds are so hard they need to be scratched and presoaked to crack the seed open a bit to make it easier to germinate. Some seeds need light to germinate so you sow on top or near top of soil. Some need dark to germinate so you have to put the seed down into the soil usually three times the size of the seed in depth. Again, know the seed and it's requirements so you won't get disappointing results.

Have a very good light system on your plants and the lights should be on them about 14 hours a day minimum to get good strong plants. The light source needs to be very close to the plant so it doesn't have to stretch it's little neck up to reach for the light and become langy.

Have fun with your baby seeds. You will love them more than any others because you gave birth to them. :)

Brenda

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Just wanted to share what is in Bloom Today in my flowerbed & I would not have known it if it had not been for my brother
He was here to put a roof over the walkway so i won't have to shovel snow any more :))
Great brother I have .
any way this Pansy was sent to me from another gardening friend Annie.:))

& this is Mich :))) thank you for letting me share .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh lucky you !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello ALL,
I have nothing blooming yet!! But I am hoping my wisteria has the same beautiful blooms it had last year. I have waited 25 years to see this!! I would never do it again. I'd rip it out before I'd ever wait 20+ years for anything to bloom!!!
Love seeing all your pics.
Dori I would love a piece of your dwarf dark iris. I have a yellow dwarf rebloomer i could trade you!!
Are you going to the plant exchange at Freeport this late spring??
Julie

Thumbnail by jazzzy704

beautiful wiseria. I don't have any, but my gardening neighbor whose garden backs up to mine has two that are trees. They are always sending tendrils out and latching onto things! They are gorgeous...some years moreso than others I find.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is the white verbascum I sent people that wanted seeds
its in the rose&lily garden

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my wisteria bloomed last yr finally after 9yrs of waiting!! there is suppose to be a pink one growing on the other side but no blooms from that one yet

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Virgina bluebells

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Siamese painted daisy=james kelway

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

foam flower

Thumbnail by notmartha
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The Virginia bluebells are lovely Dori. Can they be planted in partial shade or do they do better in full sun?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mine are all in shade to partial shade

this is a tulip

Thumbnail by notmartha
Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey thanks for the kind words Sarv48.
I always love to see Doris pictures!! I have to take more pictures. I'm not real good at it but I see iot wets the appetite for spring and brings back fond memories of forgotten plants!!
Julie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

maybe this would be easier a little walk through the seasons on this gloomy afternoon!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/670999/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/670190/

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dori, I have a nice shady spot that I think I might add to.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I tryed to do a pic of my Disney land rose but I guess I don't know how to get it from there to here so I think I need more lessons from my gs

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I just viewed the gardens of Not Martha and i swear i could smell those flowers!! Thanks for giving all of us a little piece of your heaven to hold us over!! Great pictures! i don't know how you do it with all those kids at home!! Super Mom eh?
Thanks for the view!!!
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,

I was just looking at your pictures. They are soooooooooooooo beautiful. It is nice to visit gardens when the world is so white with snow. Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to visit them often. I wish you could store them all on one of those photo places where you can click a button for slideshow. It would be so much more fun to view the pics like that I think. Don't you? I think it's free to join those sites like Kodak. Not sure though.

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.