New Years Day - Clear and 62!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

BB; Just to make you feel better, the January record for Lawrenceville is minus 8 degrees set in 1985. Have a quite aways to go yet.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Farmerdill:

Minus 8?? That's why I left NY!!

Susan:

He's been had his well. Someone must have messed with him. His wife is really suffering from Alzheimer's and I haven't seen them a lot but I will ask him when I see him.

That is too funny about the pot plants. I converted 2 rooms of the house into little greenhouses. This was right around the time when they were busting all of the grow houses in the sub-divisions. I really hoped the cops wouldn't show up on my doorstep if they saw the light racks etc.

BB

BB, my DH and I have been sick with the crud for going on 3 weeks now. Hope you and the Mrs. get well real soon. :)

It's 31 here already and falling. Brrrr! I hate the cold! Sure hope I don't lose any of my plants. I've done the best I can by all of them. Guess I'll see in a couple of days. The brugs are already toast. I've cut them off and covered them with pinestraw. Am going to try to root the pieces I cut off. I did it last year and they did just fine. If they make it, I'll have some for the GA RU come spring. :) Y'all stay warm!!
~Susan from waaay down south. :-)

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Susan, The brugs should be alright unless it gets lower than 25. It is colder than I ever want to feel. Pity the poor souls that have jobs that are outside now. I would be taking time off or quiting. Everyone around here has been under the weather the last few weeks. My DIL had pneumonia last week and another DIL's mother was admitted to the hospital today with pneumonia. Just hoping Bobbie doesn't come down with anything.

Jim ... bundle up tmr when you have to get out to go to work. We don't want you sick now, ya here! I wish you could just stay home snug as a bug in a rug. LOL. Just be careful out there and don't forget to check in when you can. :)
Hugs&blessings to you and Bobby
~Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim, is everyone doing okay??

Worked outside yesterday and got lots done.. This is more my speed.. high of 72 today :)

Susan

It was a beautiful weekend.

Got another greenhouse bench built. The electrician came out and gave me a price for running power to my GH.

Built another 4 raised beds.

It was really nice

And today is fantastic!

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

BB - You sure are building those raised beds. I remember last year you built a bunch. How many do you have now?

I got a few weeds pulled and some sawdust put down as mulch (paths only). Tomorrow and Wednesday are supposed to be just as nice. I hope to get some more chip mulch down. I need to work on re-arranging the greenhouse so I can get my lights up for seed starting. I have a wire shelving unit I want to move in there, but it may not fit.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Jim,, hope you and Bobbie are doing ok??
BB, how much did the electrician want for running power to your greenhouse, if I may ask? And how far from the house. Did he quote as running it from your power box on its own switch? I am tired of the orange power cord out to mine.. I love those raised beds.. a lot easier than digging down in that red clay thanks,,
whew,,, glad that short cold weather is gone...drag plants out of greenhouse, drag plants back in,,, drag them out,, sighhhhhhh... and when to start those seeds. maybe in the ground in the spring..
hi Susan E down south. Hope you are doing well. I still have a brugmansia for you... grin.
Elaine

Beclu:

80 and counting. I am going to post some pics in the veggie forum when I get a chance. I'm also building permanent trellises for beans and cukes.

Elaine:

The electrician is charging me $50 per hour and it will be about a 4 hour job. Our purchasing manager said that was a little on the high side but I'm ok with it. This is one of the senior guys that does the electrical in the homes we build. And I'm factoring in that he will probably be able to bring the company's trencher with him which would save me the rental fee of about $100 or so bucks.

The run is about 200-250 feet. He's going to set up a dedicated circuit and run it down to the GH. He suggested that I put a small sub-panel in the GH which I brought yesterday. I've brought just about all the materials except for the wire and I don't think I've spent $50 bucks yet. The wire will be my biggest material expense.

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

BB - 80!!! OMG. I don't even have 8 yet. Are you planning on farming full time??? I would like to cut down a few more pine trees so I can add more. Good luck with your GH wiring. Sounds like the electrician knows what he is doing. Mine is so small, DH ran conduit underground from a basement outlet. I only have a small space heater on it now. I'm a little leary of adding the fluorescent fixtures for seedlings, but we'll see. It does have GFI. Run is only 100 ft or less.

Ooooh, I want another green house!! I did get my shelves and lights set up. Have ordered tomato seeds with one of my friends and am getting itchy fingers. This weather is beeeautiful!

Elaine, thanks! You shoulda seen my poor brug after that hard freeze last week. :-( I cut it off and piled pine straw around it. Don't know if that was the right thing to do, though. I read somewhere where I was suppose to wait, so might have killed the poor thing. LOL

Susan ... I got a Dmail from Jim. He's okay ... just been a little down I think. These blasted winter blues! yuck.

Okay, it's time for the DH.
~the other Susan LOL

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

BB, I asked Hubby (electrician) for a little info on your wiring. Your main cost will probably be in the wire to run the sub-panel especially being 200-250' away. It would be less expensive if you buy regular romex (he said something about 8 gauge) and put it in underground conduit than to buy underground wire. He is gave me this info based on his guess of a 50 amp service. If your panel is going to be 75amp, he said it would be much more expensive. It sounds like a wonderful GH, I cant wait to see pictures. :)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

WOW,,, 75 amps.... we could light up the woods of Lizella with that.. (couldn't hook the motor home to it though) LOL,
BB, thanks for that information. that helps me in deciding,, sounds like he is doing a good safe job (most important) I am guessing the sub-panel would be for plugging other things in.. heat lamps, grow lights.. ?
Susan E. I bet your brug will make it. I put pine straw, leaves over mine that are planted in the ground back in early winter and I think the roots are ok. I had one that I just dug up and transplanted and the roots and bottom of stalk were green and firm and we had 17 and 20 degree temps last week. I have a spindly tomato plant in greenhouse with one tomato on it. and a few eggplants.
Elaine

Thanks for the info Chris:

Always good to hear another point of view. We thought about conduit but the topography of the land is kinds funky so I'm going to stick with the wire he recommended.

Elaine:

That's my challenge now, trying to decide what size box to put down there. Originally I was going to have the electric company drop another pole which they would have done for free but I decided against that. The electrician told me to try to think ahead as to what I might want to do electrically in the future so we can put the infrastructure in now.

Beclu:

We were planning to have my wife run it full-time but decided against it because we don't want to give up any health insurance. Luckily my wifes schedule at work has changes as well as my son's so there will we can get more work done at key times without having to make a decision on whether to risk leaving a job right now. Lord works in funny ways sometimes.

I'm planting so much because the demand for good veggies is so high but I can't recruit enough farmers to meet the demand at market. We are also adding some chickens this year too

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.