New Years Day - Clear and 62!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

...and I have about 150 bulbs to plant! Guess what I will be doing!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year everyone. I hope to plant some basil seeds to get them started in the greenhouse.

Happy New Year to everyone! It's been unseasonably hot here, and we've been under a tornado watch this evening. It's calling for a high of 68 tomorrow with a low of 48, but you know those weather lyers. LOL It was 75 today. :) Did y'all get any rain up your way? It only sprinkled in south GA. Maybe we'll get more, but it doesn't look too promising right now. Y'all have a blessed holiday.
~Susan

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, weather.com says 41, windy, and partly cloudy with a 20 degree freeze that night for New Years Day. Yuck! Where did you hear 62 and clear? I would much prefer that!!! :)

Happy New Year!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 12:46 AM

Danita
Like I said, you can never be sure with those weather lyers ... but that's what's posted for Lowndes county. We'll wait and see. LOL
~Susan

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Yesterday morning the dadgum NOAA site said 62 and clear. Liars! Look at it out there...41 and fog as thick as pea soup! I don't know why I even look at the weather channels and websites. The best thing to do is just look out the window when you get up in the morning.

I am VERY grateful for the rain yesterday though. It rained softly all day. Hope some fell in Lanier.

So much for my exciting New Years Eve plans of getting 100+ bulbs in the ground. Oh well, I know we'll have a day in the upper 60's at least once this month. The bulbs with just have to deal with it.

P.S. I have 10 pink perfection lily bulbs I received from B&B in mid December. Should I plant them now, or try to keep them moistish and plant in March.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy New years ya'll.. My collard greens are almost done in the pressure cooker.. Black eye peas with ham n' onions and rolls!

I probably will only make it till 10:00.. maybe 10:30! I get up before the chickens.. I don't have chickens, but I'm sure I'm up before they are.
:)

Susan

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Rolls!?! Don't you know it's supposed to be cornbread? Are you a carpetbagger?

Just kidding! :)

I can only force one bite of the greens down...but hey, that counts!

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Now, don't ya'll know it's black-eyed peas, corn bread and mustard greens.. LOL (with left-over ham bone) I really like beans better. yummm making me hungry,,
Elaine HAPPY NEW YEAR

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Black-eyed peas and hog jowl for us y'all with Cracklin cornbread and turnips. yum yum...Please no one tell me what a hog jowl is. I don't even want to know.

Ooooh, no no no ... I'm with Susan. LOL I've got my collars, black eyed peas and have my sweet taters ... but I'll be havin that corn bread to go with it. LOL Happy New Year to everyone! Hope you all have the rain you need. grin
~SusanE

Hi Deborah ... we cross posted!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy New Year Susan!!! Cheers!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I'm from the south ... and whatever part of me isn't southern, isn't from the US :) When I was posting I realized I had forgot to get the cornbread started and it was too late.. I'll make it today.. These leftovers will be so much better anyway. I butter up and heat the skillet in the oven and pour the batter into a crackling pan.. I put real corn in my batter too! There! Am I redeemed some??

Do any of you use pressure cookers? I love mine.. Got the collards started at 6 and we were eating by 7:15 and they were wonderful. Very tender and could have convinced someone they were cooking all day.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I love pressure cooking too. Really need a new one though.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

HAPPY NEW YEARS GA Gardening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish all of you and your families good health in the coming year! Because if you cannot think of a single thing to be thankful for this year, be thankful that we are alive to garden another year.

Before I get to my menu for today; TSK TSK TSK.

Greens in a pressure cooker???? They are supposed to cook slow!: Let the essence of the porky bones flow through them. If I cooked them in a pressure cooker, I wouldn't have time to sober up! LOL

SoulGarden: Pressure cooker aside, any family that's eatin collards at 7AM is a family after my own heart!

I was sick all the the Christmas Holiday. I'm better now: But Mrs Bronx: Not so good.

So I'm pampering her and finishing our meal.

Which is

Peas and Rice
Blackeye Peas
Puerto-Rican Style Roast Pork
Turnip Greens
Potato Salad
Fried Chicken
Cornbread
Pig Feet
Chitlins

The last two are my special dishes. I don't eat them any other time of year.

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL OF YOU!

BB

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I love pig feet! Now that's what I remember about my grandmother cooking in a pressure cooker. Then, after they were tender, she would meal batter them and deep fry'em. Oh the memories! I would eat them just so I could gross out my friends. (I did love them though) BB, keep the chitlins, I'll eat the hog jowls from parts unknown. I admit though, my granny would boil those chitlins outside in an iron vat. Then she'd bring them in to batter up and fry. Does this computer have smell-a-vision? I remember the aroma just thinking about them.

LOL

Yes. The odor is why we only have them once a year! LOL

Now the only jowls I have had have been smoked ones that my wife used to get from her hometown in VA. She used them as a seasoning meat. Good but faty. So she would slap my hands when I started to pick the meat off the one she took out of the pot to cool.

Now Pig Ears are a WHOLE nother experience!

BB

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Pig ears. That proves it, you can eat every part of the pig save the squeal.

Hope Mrs. BB is feeling better.

Yep

From the tail to the snout...
Nothing gets thrown out...

Ode to the Pig!

She's ok!. I think she's milking it! :-0 LOL

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

You DO get the essence of the pork in the collards through pressure cooking! It's some of the best food I've ever had.. out of my pressure cooker. You get a pressure cooker and see for yourself! My sister went to school and is still friends with a girl from another country where they pressure cook all kinds of meats before they really cook and flavor them.. She told us all about it when she saw my cooker. DH's secret for ribs is that he pressure cooks them just enough to get them super tender and then he throws them onthe big green egg and they are the best I've ever had...

BB, Thats alot of food!

Glad your feeling better.. Holidays can be rough if your not well.. Been there. We all have.

Susan

You know what's funny Susan?

I have a pressure cooker. Actually a pressure canner but same soup right.

When I was growing up in the Bronx, you used to hear these urban myths about pressure cookers blowing up and taking someone's head off.

So I guess I'm still a little gunshy. Now. I'll can with them without a problem. Go figure.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Green Egg!

Happy New Year!

BB

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Well I've never heard of the Green egg. What is it, some kind of stove top grill thingy?

It's a grill.

A very expensive one. I think $400-500 dollars for one.

But everyone that I know that have cooked on one says it's the best

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Is it used out doors only?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes about the green egg, and it is the best... Looks weird. Dh loves it and I'm glad cause there are plenty of meals he makes on it.

The pressure cooker I have is stupid proof.. I can't take the lid off till the pressure has come all the way down. I do remember my mom forcing a lid off and seeing the splat on the ceiling.. it really can be dangerous if you do that! I kinda think that might be why they aren't more widely used.. Mine is a stand alone plug in model.. I set it and walk away. Like a slow cooker on high speed. So easy for the lazy cook that wants great tasting food. I do broths, soups, meats... collards!!..all kinds of stuff in there. If I get a rotisserie chicken from the store, I wont throw it out till I've made chicken broth in the pressure cooker. I freeze and use it as a base for most all my soups...rice.. whatever I need it for.
:)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

We've had a green egg for 25+ years. We don't use it as much since DH got his gas grill. It is a great charcoal grill. We used to cook whole turkeys in it at thanksgiving. Smoked flavor but still very juicy inside (no stuffing though). We've had to replace the feet and cap several times, but so far have been able to find them. It even has a wok.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Two first for me: a plug in type pressure cooker and a green egg grill that can last over 25 years with only minor replacement parts. Yep, gotta have'em on my wish list....

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.amazon.com/Russell-Hobbs-Stainless-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B0000BVQEO/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_pop_t looks just like mine.. I like mine, but I've read some really bad reviews about that model.

Yes, Dh does the Thanksgiving turkey in the egg :) The thing is durable..
http://biggreenegg.com/ I think there are people that are crazy about their eggs. My only complaint about the egg is that I wish it had larger cooking surface when i want to do grilled veggies as well as the main.. Sometimes it's a two step process for the smaller area compared to a large grill.

oh and the cornbread is done! :)

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

3gardeners, You've got to tell us how many bulbs you got planted today. It was pretty enough around my neck of the woods to plant some.
I just didn't get around to it. Keep having to make trips back and forth in the attic putting away Christmas decorations. Every time I thought I was through, a little elf on a shelf would stare me in the face.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, none.
I have some sort of mild stomach virus and haven't left the house in 2 days. I think I'm on the mend now, so maybe I can get to it sometime this week. We're supposed to have 40 mph gusts of wind tomorrow. But, who knows with these weather guessers.
Happy New Year!!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have always heard about the pig that you can eat everything from the toot to the poot. About covers it around here.

Happy Newyear everyone.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Too funny. Glad to hear from you Jim! Wishing yall a happy new year.

Hey:

What happened to 62????

BB

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I was going to plant my bulbs today. NOT! I almost froze letting the Labs out to feed them.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm still sick and I guess it's just as well. This weather is crazy cold. Esp. because of the wind! Only 32 at my house and the wind is really blowing. Looks like that may be the case until Monday. I should surely be well by then and hopefully I can get out and get these bulbs in the ground.

My 80 year old neighbor let his sprinklers run last night. It looked like the arctic over there this morning. His driveway was a complete sheet of ice.

He LOVES his grass. He has a well and waters every night, rain or shine. Well someone must have said something to him about watering during the drought because one day, I'm coming home and there is a big sign on his lawn that says "Water from Well". I guess they pissed him off.

If he were younger, I would speak to him about his water use. But he's up there in age and both he and his wife have increasing health problems so sometimes you just need to leave things be. When I see him again I'm going to see if he wants me to look at the settings. I've seen the system come on during a thunderstorm.

But his impromptu ice show was pretty amusing.

BB

Feel Better!

I'm better now but I completely infected Mrs. Bronx. She was in bed NYE and all day yesterday!

I ate so pork yesterday i think I started to squeal in my sleep!

BB

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Jim good to see you around :)

Omgoodness it is freaking COLD!! I can take the heat, but I can't take the cold.. And my husband took our oldest to ride his dirtbike??? I barely could get from the car to the store and out again.. And I have to scream and repeat... "OHMYGOODNESS!!" the whole way out and back again. :) And I was supposed to start some things up in my garden early Jan.. not till we get some heat here!

BB... yes, if he has a well..let him be.. did he get it this year?? He could be as perturbed as i was before i got my well at the water police coming up my street every day to check if I was legal.. I would just smile and wave and swear I'd hold the hose in the street when they drove by after I got my well installed.. of course it might not be exactly that he's mad at, but you never know whats got him deciding do something illogical.. I do have a permanent sign attached to the mailbox and all my neighbors do know not to call on me :) They will have to find something else.. my all time favorite being when the police showed up to make sure these wild sunflowers weren't pot plants... Right in the front yard and everything?? I told them I would never grow pot plants out front like that...only in the basement and the one cop was amused and they other one wasn't. :) A gals gotta have her fun too.

I also did the stupid watering/freeze thing one night when I was inexperienced with programing the new digital sprinkler system they installed after hooking to the well.. and I woke up to a driveway with some ice down on the bottom and felt kinda silly and hoped it would melt before many noticed! :) oh well.. Live and slide. :)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.