Certified Wildlife Habitat

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

This is something that has interested me for a few years now. I noticed that Becky (Bec_No_VA) recently had her backyard certified as a habitat for wildlife. I believe that I have most, if not all of the makings to have my yard certified as well, but I'd like to learn more about the certification criteria.

Who is the certification body, and does it vary by state and locale?

Becky, do you have "running" water in your habitat and is it in the form of a pond/stream?

Do we have any others who have had their gardens certified? I have so many questions!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

http://www.nwf.org/backyard/

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Victor. I didn't realize that it was a national organization. It appears that I meet all of the requirements already, so I started the online application process but then hit a few server errors. I'll try again another time.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You're welcome!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Wrightie - yeppers, they do all the work for ya on the website - just fill it in - pay your fees you and "is certified" - I have a heated birdbath - and a fountain - and both apparently counts :-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I did it years ago and had a plastic plaque for it. It is kinda neat. At the time I don't think the requirements were too strict or hard to meet.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I must admit, I thought that it was a little difficult to obtain certification, so was surprised last night to see that I more than met the basic requirements.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

cuz you're just so darn good!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh. I'm. Sure. That. That. Is. True.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think I probably have most if not everything I need but have never really checked it out. Thanks for the link.

Germantown, MD

I did NWF.org certification about 6 months ago - put the plaque in my front yard and get loys of questions/conversations on it -- even in a very urban street, people are very interested in the wildlife gardening thing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.