Mid-Atlantic Roll Call

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi, Patti!
Let me state, I've only been a member since Sep of 06 so I think it sounds like we know each oter a lot better than we actually do. I just find it so easy to chat when your audience can respond at their leisure, and I'm not worried about calling them during dinner/about to go out/ sleeping late etc.
Good luck with the gardens this year's gotta be better- the drought was terrible last year- I even almost lost something that I transplanted in early Oct cuz it was STILL hot and dry!
This month looks to be making up for a lot of rain deficit.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Patti,

I want to welcome you as well! There's nothing scary about this site! Hundreds of people join every day and just find the right Forums to "jump in", where they are welcomed with loving arms and you, almost instantly, become one of "them"...ASK all you want, and you will have answers from across the country from experienced gardeners in a day or two. SEE a question from someone new struggling with something YOU are experienced in--just post an answer and try to help them out. This is the essence of Daves Garden!

I have to say that the Mid Atlantic Forum ROCKS! We are active, interactive, have the opportunity to meet once or twice a year (thanks to people like Critter and hart) and then become friends--personal--cyber or otherwise........:o)

I live near White Marsh Mall (in Perry Hall) in NE Baltimore County. I/we--(I am divorced) moved into out brand new house here in 1969. Talk about crummy soil! You know what all the builders do around new houses! Churn up all the rocks and clay and leave you to deal with it....

How old is your house you moved into? Has the soil had a chance to get more "organic/humosy" over the years? If you have any woods around your acre of land, see if you feel like going there and digging up some of that wonderful humus you only get in established woodlands.
I did that for a year and a half--until they tore down the woods and built more houses behind me. But--I tell you! It was all worth it! Just me and my wheelbarrow--digging and scraping hauling and digging some more. Besides---I got in really, really great shape doing all this.

Go to the "Composting" Forum and learn all you can do to recycle everything to make your Garden better. Leaves...kitchen veggie scraps,,,,dead annuals and perennials....
No matter where you go, you will find nothing but friendly people willing to help you out. In the process, you will, also, become one of "THEM", and help the next person.

There are seed swaps ans plant swaps. A nice way to get plants you could never buy in this area in your local Nursery. Please check the "haves" lists of everyone under "trading" under the "Extras" tab. Then just send that person a D-mail and ask for whatever you would like to have. Many people "trade"---many people just "share"---for reimbursement of the postage it took to send you the seeds or the cuttings.

Please check my "haves". I will be glad to help you out with seeds for just postage.

Welcome again, Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome PJ!

My dad and other mother live in Mt Airy. That area of Maryland is such a charming place. My dad has nasty soil, too. They grow lots of uninteresting shrubby things that defy identificatin as anything other that pinched weeds. I think that he has rock two inches down. Ahhhhh the mountains!

You're wonderful to try growing a garden in those conditions.

I'm so glad that you jumped it! That's how we get to know each other!

Welcome!

Elf

Damascus, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, Lastelf

Thanks so much for the welcome! I'd like to get more involved this year and maybe make some new friends and this just sounded like a fun group. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Gita
My house is 170yrs old, give or take a year. The soil is very rocky and mostly clay especially areounf the patio we put in, (you know what contractors do when they excavate. All the nasty soil is brought to the top and then you have to work it to get it back to where it was before they started. But, that's part of the fun of digging in the dirt!). The idea about going into the woods is great, I never thought of that and will definatly do it this spring. I do do some composting but need to get more into it. I'll check out the composting site

Thanks for the seed offer. I'll look over what you have and let you know.

Again thanks for the suggestions

Patti

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

Patti,

I used to live in Damascus, left just as the bedroom communities were springing up. Had a wonderful old weeping cherry tree in my front yard. Didn't do much gardening then (unfortunately), just raised two kids for a while. You have lots of wonderful resources there, WELCOME. Pam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! I'm late in coming to the "roll call" thread, but I've got a photo next to the short bio under my weekly article, and I've been chatting away on the "Think Spring!" party threads, so I figure you all are getting some sense of who I am... :-)

Name: Jill Nicolaus

Location: Frederick, MD, just south of the city of Frederick. The cornfield behind us is slated to becomes a housing development, but we've enjoyed it for the past several years. I love living in surroundings like this and still being just minutes away from grocery stores and other shopping (I don't need a "major mall" LOL).

Family: Jim & I will celebrate our 10th anniversary this spring. We were college sweethearts, but it took us a couple more tries to get the right person, right time, right place thing together. No kids despite some major jumping through hoops, so if you know of a potential adoption situation, please let me know. :-) We adore being "Aunt Jill & Uncle Jim" to our nieces & nephews, and we're blessed with the kids who are in our lives already.

We have 2 tabbycats -- Blake is 17, and Eliot came to us as a kitten at the end of last summer. I've got a few saltwater fish, and I am hoping to get my aquariums into better order this year and add to them. My DG name comes from my academic background in biology and my general love of critters -- I still get neighborhood kids bringing me toads and baby birds and questions!

Employment: I've worked as a teacher and would like to get back to it someday. I'm having fun writing articles for the DG daily article feature (look for me on Thursdays... for a linked list of my past articles go to my member page and scroll down). Other than that, I keep busy with a myriad of projects around the house!

Gardening Level: I'm always a novice at something. I'm easily fascinated, and I like to dive right in and try to learn a lot about a type of plant that interests me, hopefully improving my odds of not killing it right away.

Gardening Focus: Eclectic (see above). I like cottage style gardens, because they suit my desire to have one of everything and find a spot for it somehow. I'm learning to repeat elements (color, height, texture) and create "sweeps" of interest rather than just going with total chaos, but it doesn't always (ever?) end up quite the way I've planned it when drawing out the design on graph paper... :-)

We've got a little less than half an acre, but because of the shape of our lot at the end of the cul-de-sac, most of the yard is in the back yard. That's great for me, because I can keep a smaller front yard looking a little more formal, with some tidy lawn area, and the back yard can be a little more, umm, eclectic. People reading my posts tend to think I must have 10 acres because I talk about so many kinds of plantings, from fruit trees to lily beds, from butterfly gardens to banana plants... but I just do a little bit of a lot of things. The only thing we did a whole lot of was compost... the builder left us with some nasty clay, so we've had about 40 yards of compost plowed into the garden areas... that was the quick way to improve the soil, and it's working out nicely. Now, if I could only win the war against the Johnson Grass in the mini-orchard and the poison ivy in the fence row...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter!

Wonderful to have you check in! You're an important memeber of our little neck of the woods for all of us to get to know.

BTW: Bananas! That is sooooooooooooo cooooooooooool!

Elf

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

:-) The article I did ("Go Bananas!") led to our recent mini co-op, with Holly ordering dwarf bananas that she'll bring to the party/swap this month. I'm having a harder time convincing people to give the full sized ones a try... I do have a couple of extra pups, and I generally have extra pups each fall!

We have several writers in the MidAtlantic forum -- me, Dea, Debbie (rcn48), doccat5, Darius, and I hope I didn't miss anybody! There's an easy way to catch up on our articles, without going back through the chronological list of articles in the "guides & information" tab. Dave added a linked list of the articles we've published to our home pages. :-)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

That Dave, what a fella...but those "southern" boys are like that. LOL WOOHOO, another person from Fredericksburg!! Welcome, welcome!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone.
Name:flowerjen
Employment:stay at home mom/business owner hvac co.
Family:married 18 yrs with a 5 yr old boy and a 18 month old girl
Gardening level:Upper level beginner I guess. I have more time now to garden more
Garden focus:Trying to fix everything the former owners did(we've been in this house 3 years)but basically a blank slate to work with. So many different ideas, so little time and $, trying to take it slow 1 project at a time. Finishing up my shade garden this spring which was my first major project.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I didn't know there was a "real" Dave. Is there a bio I can read? I've only just visited a few forums since signing up, and half the time my satellite feed is slow or nonexistent, so when I get on, I tend to spend half the day and then don't get back for days or a week. This may not be the thread that mentioned it, but did all of the DC metro folks get together at the Willard? That sounded so cool. Almost made me wish I still worked, although I never worked in DC. I can hardly wait to hear about your seed swap on the 23rd. For the moment, I must live vicariously (or virtually?), so keep those garden stories, pictures, news of your lives coming. Love you guys!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's the link to Dave's member page: http://davesgarden.com/members/dave/

I think the photo is one that appeared in a magazine profile... Garden Gate, perhaps? I wonder if anybody posted it...

Pam, I sure hope you can make it to one of our local gatherings soon... LOL, I want to meet everybody

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Welcome guys, I'm coming late again, I see. Our Dave is a handsome young man, by golly. I may decide to try one of those banana pups if you have enough. We just won't mention that to DH until later that day.........grin
Busy surfing the site, talked to our Miss Utility earlier. DH wants to till on that side and I'd rather avoid an "electrifying" experience for him. Don't think we have any underground lines, but it's better to have them check than get a surprise.
We want to add more ROS on that side, since mine are prolific it's a major freebie. LOL I actually have a burning desire to plant Thula Giants all along that frontage, but I'm afraid they would shade the road so much the neighbors down the road would have major problems in the winter. It's suppose to be state maintained, but nobody mentioned which state, I guess. Pretty spotty clean up.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, everyone! I am not on this forum as much as I would love to, but I get around on several different ones. I need more time in a day! I read more than I post. You DG's from the Mid-Atlantic area are so great! The friendliest bunch anywhere.

Name: RatherBDigging (because I would be!) aka LuAnne

Location: small town northeast of Lancaster, Pa in Lancaster County. Holly is fairly close but I haven't met anyone else from this area of Lancaster County on DG...where are you all?

Family: Live with DH. Married 21 yrs. Have two teenagers, a son of 16 and a daughter of 18. Our little Mia, a red, short-haired mini dachshund. She is 8.

Employment: I am a nurse, but I had to medically retire from my positions in the kidney dr office (which I loved so very much) and also dialysis. I loved my jobs and the staff and patients I worked with. I had Lyme disease (never, ever ignore a large red circular rash on your body, just because it did not bulls-eye...) and resulted in a neurologic pain syndrome that limits how much I can do depending on the levels of pain that day or time of day. I never let it break my spirit, though. Gardening makes me hurt more, but it is what keeps me sane!

Gardening Level: I guess I would say Intermediate. The more I read on DG, the more I am still learning.

Gardening Focus: Oh, so much. An dabbler in many; an expert in none. My mind is always working when it comes to gardening...I love my fountain in the front yard, which is alittle more formal than the cottagy back yard. I love landscaping with trees and shrubs, esp for winter interest. I love hosta, heucheras, grasses, roses, iris, grow some veggies and herbs, perennials and love to grow things even more based on foliage and textures. I love Japanese gardening and watergardening. My small pond we took up last year and had a man come with his machinery and dig out a 14 x 20 ft pond! My husband knows what our first project is this year. (He is great...he helps with whatever I need with not too much complaining...heehhee) I like working with stone and I also landscape to attract the birds. This year, besides the pond, I want to have a potting shed/storage shed built, but I want to have them use a used old door and two old windows to give it instant cottage look. I want to finish a few old projects and then build some trellis for clematis vines and my climbing roses. then maybe a pergola...then raised beds. Trust me, I hope just the pond gets finished!

Thanks! You guys are great. Hope someone from my area is one and listening. I've been in Maryland and Virginia...beautiful areas.

Lynchburg, VA

Name:Kyrina
Family:Married with a son
Employment:I am a full time Mama
Gardening Level:Lifelong novice
Gardening Focus: Edibles, natives, organic methods

Got my first garden plot at 7 years old and filled it with veggies which I proudly brought to the table...Many of my childhood memories centered around my own time in my gardens. I was the only on in my family who gardened. We moved a lot, and my parents were always great about giving me my plot and taking me to buy my seeds, soil, and poo!! I have always gardened organically, I had actually never even thought about using chemical fertilizers or pesticides...and I guess I have been lucky in never having the need to. My husband quickly learned that where ever we lived I would claim a part of our land for my garden...so far this is my fourth with him...I am hoping this is our last move!

I now have a few acres outside of Lynchburg, VA. An acre plus or minus were cleared in the woods for our home and I have started again, only this time on clay. I have always been a soil-builder, but sometimes I think this clay stuff is going to drive me crazy! But how can I complain? I have plenty of organic matter to compost, plenty of space to grow...look forward to getting to know and learn from the group!

Peace,
Kyrina

This message was edited Feb 23, 2008 12:17 AM

Crozet, VA

Wonderful to have you LuAnne and Kyrina. Thank you both for sharing. Kyrina, you are within a two hour drive from me, not terribly far. Your place sounds great despite clay soil, but most of us Virginians have that to contend with. Lu Anne, I have been through your area of the country several times in the past, you live in some beautiful country too.

This is a great group of people. Just wait until you have the opportunity to meet some of us. I was able to attend a Plant Swap last June where many of us came together for a day and we had a great time and everyone went away with lots of goodies from others gardens. Our Hostess, Hart made the day very special.

Today is a Seed Swap taking place in Frederick Maryland. I was unable to attend, but will certainly do my best to be at the next get together, whatever it be. Critterologist is hosting the swap today as well as a fall plant swap last year. She is another very knowledgeable gardener and writes especially great articles for Dave's newsletters.

Again, I welcome you both and hope to hear more from you.

Ruby

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LuAnne, love your user name. I have friends that live in Lancaster. Love it out there.
Welcome to you and Kyrina

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Flowerjen, are any of your friends in the Lancaster area on DG?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You know, it never came up. I'll have to find out.

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Hello fellow mid-atlantic gardeners!

Name: Michaeljo (not very original, when I signed up I didn't realize everyone used such creative names. If I could change to a more creative, funny name I guess I would pick some thing like 'garden_hoe' - I'd do anything to spend more time in the garden).
Location: West Norriton, PA, near the King of Prussia Mall, and within an hour's drive of Long Wood Gardens (to the south) and Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve (in New Hope to the North)
Family: DSO and I together for 9 years this April
Employment: Accountant, CPA - staring a new job on Monday, March 3rd -- very excited about this new opportunity.
Gardening Level: Well, I've been puttering around the yard for several years experimenting with plants that catch my eye. I'm a work-in-progress novice -- learning new things all the time.
Gardening Focus: I have a very casual approach to gardening -- I see a plant that I like, put it in perfect spot, then change my mind next year and move it to a new perfect spot. I spend most of my free time outside working in the yard, planning new gardens, moving plants around, feeding the birds, and fighting with the squirrels, rabbits, deer and ground hogs. I'm usually up at the crack of dawn (sometimes earlier), DSO usually finds me outside (with flash light in hand) digging in the dirt, watering the garden, playing in the compost pile, or checking on my newly planted babies. This year I decided to try winter sowing. I planted 30 containers -- I find myself checking them everyday, not sure why?? Most of the containers are still just full of soil -- a few have sprouts, which I have to admit is very exciting. Recently, I was inspired by a DGr's article on Rain Gardens. I'm planning to build one this spring, so now I think a have a new garden focus -- native plants.

Many of you have inspired me since I've joined DG in November 2007. Because of you I have starting composting, winter sowing and have become addicted bulbs, seeds, and Dave's Garden. This is a great group of gardeners and I look forward meeting and making new friends.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Michael, it's addictive isn't it????

"I see a plant that I like, put it in perfect spot, then change my mind next year and move it to a new perfect spot. "
You have been spying on me~
Welcome!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hiya, Michael!!!!

Welcome--welcome! Love having more "garden nuts" around....

It is the rare man we get here----always nice to have one's input! Beware!! You WILL be outnumbered! I like that you have a casual approach to gardening. So do I! I have learned, as I have grown older, that something as replaceable as plants and flowers just is not worth getting all stressed out about.

You are on THE right Forum here, all right! We rock and roll here!
Had to think about that DSO though! I think it is first time I have come across that here!

Gita

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you ladies for the warm welcome.

Flowerjen - I have withdrawal when I have to go to work.

sallyg - how funny! I thought I was the only indecisive gardener -- my mind changes with the wind and with every new plant I find.

Gitagal -- when I first joined DG's, I couldn't figure out what everyone was talking about when using DH. So I asked (stupidly) what is a DH? Thankfully, some kind soul simply answered Dear Husband, and explained that I may see DW, DD, DS and DSO (Dear Significant Other).

on occasion, D can be dam+ LOL
michael we are not indecisive, we are plant mobility oriented....
actually, I feel like I can't 'see' how the plant will look, or know how it will like, any one spot. Somebody else here once talked about her husband noticing how much she moved plants--oh, I think she goes by 'plantmover'

and the guys are good for bringing ice and drinkies to Swaps, or Costco yummy ravioli- where did Brent in No VA go??

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 5:30 PM

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, Michael! Welcome. You are not too far from Lancaster area. That is where I keep moving my plants all around at. My DH cannot understand how I get so much fun out of this either!

Fredericksburg, VA

Name:Paul
Family: yes
Employment: Rugs Direct
Gardening Level: Level A1A
Gardening Focus: Perennials, Perennials, Perennials. AND Merrifield Garden Center.
I put in about 2500-3000 sq/ft of beds in the back yard a couple of years ago. Last year was the first full season. Some of my pictures have been posted here. I am Very eager for the sping to come in fully. My daylilies have already poked their heads up. Still looking for fairly large Buddleia alternifolia, not a 3" pot.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Mos, nice to have you onboard.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Welcome Mosby

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hello, everyone, from the Garden State (I feel compelled to say that to remind people that the city images of the Sopranos are NOT representative of most of NJ)

Name: Denise (Nisi was a college nickname that some of my alumni friends still use when addressing me)

Location: Bordentown, NJ--that's just south of Trenton. Close enough to Phila to be a diehard Phillies fan.

Family: My DH was a widower with three sons when I married him almost 25 years ago. We (technically he) have three grandsons. He and I then had two daughters who commute from home to part-time work and community college. We also have a black Lab mix who loves to dig. Please see below.

Employment: My DH took early retirement because of his painful arthritis--today was his last working day. I work out of my home doing medical transcription.

Gardening Expertise: Edited to change "expert on tomatoes" to "some experience with tomatoes, as do most gardeners." For other vegetables I always consult my various gardening books before I plant. I am a rank novice at growing flowers, but will be trying that this year.

(If the following looks like too much to read, you are welcome to skip it and go to the summary at the end of the post.)

Gardening Focus: My beloved late father worked at an electrical wholesale distributor, so he had access to lighting fixtures. He set up lights in my basement, and I use them to grow about 50-60 4" pots of tomato seedlings each year, most of which I sell at flea markets and at a stand in my suburban front yard. I also grow some for sale in 6 packs. Whatever doesn't sell goes in the back yard garden or in many containers--from Earth Boxes to Gardeners Supply self watering containers to 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. I also plant bush and pole beans and zucchini. There are strawberry plants but the voles (field mice) ate every single blossom last year. The pest guy put out traps and I hope there will be no little scurrying "surprises" in the garden when I go out there this year.

In my heart I have always wanted be a farmer. I love the countryside (and yes there is plenty of it here in NJ!) But all I had was a back yard. My DH has always said that back yards are for playing whiffleball, so I was allocated a 3 ft x 30 ft strip of area along the back fence, out of the way of the "playing field." During our first few summers the horrible native Bordentown clay soil had dry cracks in it like the desert; it has been amended over the years. I am very happy with the Gardener's Supply Company grow beds (black plastic 3 foot sides that join together to make raised beds). There are several of them, one planted with fall bearing Caroline raspberries last year. Our dog loves to dig, so we had to put up a fence. The back yard is cut in two by a split rail fence with wire mesh to keep him out. The girls are now too old to play whiffleball, so I inherited more space, and the abandoned swing set is going to make one amazing A-frame!

There is a small parking lot farmers market in Bordentown where I would like to sell extra tomatoes, but the market requires organic practices. The Miracle Gro I have used on the plants has rendered the soil officially unacceptable for three years. (The organic farmer said that MG is not disallowed just because it's chemical. It actually does its job too well -- it makes the plant grow so big so quickly that the plant uses up all of the micronutrients in the soil, which MG does not replace.) So I hope to use that area to grow beans for the family and cut flowers for sale -- using organic fertilizers. I'm really nervous about trying cut flowers for the first time. Have bought seeds for zinnias and ordered lithianthus plants. Any suggestions are welcome. Meanwhile this year's tomato plants will go in new raised beds with imported soil.

SUMMARY: Have grown vegetables for years, am trying small fruit, this year will attempt cutting flower garden.

NisiNJ

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 2:00 AM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 3:31 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Nisi, There are quite a few of us Pa. and NJ girls around. Several of us are planing a few small get togethers in the Lancaster area. Not too far from you. You would be very welcome to join us. Have you visited the Market Growers Forum? I would think that would be a good area for you to get some info.

Hi mosbyone and Nisi-!
Fun to read any self-profile, long or short

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Welcome Paul & Denise, And hello to anyone I might have missed.

Denise, another Gardeners Supply fan , love their products, I don't grow as many tomatoes as you (just for myself) but when I got ill, I ordered 2 of the tomato self-watering container kits and have been using them, this will be the 3rd year. Also their Nitrite gloves,have to protect my right hand from cuts and insect bites, this is the first glove I can garden in.

I want to extend an invitation to meet at Longwood Gardens, May 17th catch the Longwood threads for some details. Some of us are making it a weekend trip.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817018/
Chris

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 8:37 AM

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 8:38 AM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nisi, Welcome neighbor!!! I'm right up the road from you in Yardville, east of Rt130 on the country side of the town. Since you do veggies and I do flowers maybe we can help each other out. I'm hopefully going Longwood also, hope to see ya there.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi all! I have been a member of DG a few weeks and am enjoying the great photos and ideas.

Name: Nancy
Family: Married to my lovely husband Gary and 2 spoiled cats, a Maine Coon and a Korat
Employment: retired as of 1/07
Gardening Level: intermediate - completed Master Gardener training last fall and completed my 40 hours service last month.
Gardening Focus: 2 areas of focus - One in the MD garden and the other at our UP Michigan garden. In Maryland - shade gardening and a small patch for dahlias, tall bearded iris and daylilies. I also enjoy daffodils and try to add new varieties every year. In MI it is all sun. I had to deal with too many trees taken out when our cabin was built and stopping erosion. I put in 70 daylilies last year - 50 plants that I picked up for $1.50 each and another 20 that I brought from home. Also achillea, perovskia, monarda, helenium, helianthus and some hostas around the cabin. I am looking forward to hearing more about folks that live around the Mid-Atlantic.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Nancy welcome to the mid atlantic DG gardeners. So nice to make your acquaintance. I hope you have any happy times at DG. I have participated in Seed/plant swaps, get-togethers, co-ops, round robins and all are a great bunch of gardening people.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Nancy!

We are not that far apart. I live in the Perry Hall/White Marsh area. Been here 38 years--not going anywhere either.
I used to know of someone else that lived in Harford County--but I no longer remember her name. With your education and knowledge, i am sure you will be able to help many of us out.

We just had a seed-swap in Frederick that Jill (criterologist) organized. Go read through all the Posts here that had to do with this Swap and you will get to know many of your "neighbors".

Glad to have you aboard! Gita

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, I haven't seen anyone from Richmond so I'll bring us on the board.

Name: Gardengirl1204 (Jeannine)
Family: DH - married for 15 years this May; DD-12yrs old (she thinks going on 18!); DS - 10 yrs old; Murphy, almost 1 year old, spawn of the devil, Golden Retriever.
Employment: Project Coordinator with large credit card comp. here in Ric.
Gardening Level: intermediate; completed Master Gardener class and am currently taking Landscape Design courses thru U of R. Had an epithany last week that maybe I don't want to be a landscape designer.
Gardening Focus: I love the cottage garden styles. I tend to lean towards off the wall perennials - ones you just don't see in every garden center. If they attract butterflies and hummingbirds, I'll buy it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Garden Girl!

Epiphany!???? Please share!

If I was still teaching at UDel I would be scarfing up every class landscaping I could find. Please reveal your wisdom!

Welcome!

Elf

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

HA! I just was sitting in class last week (I'm doing all the plant courses right now) and talking to one of the guys who has started the graphics part and just listening to everything plus the cost of the supplies needed, I was just overwhelmed. I mean, $180 on a set of colored pencils!!! I was thinking more along the lines of Crayola or RoseArt (LOL!).

There are 7 graphics courses to take and I just need to think is this what I want to do. I actually want to be a "Landscape Consultant". I love advising people on what to put where so I know I would use the courses. I just have to decide if investing $335 PER class PLUS supplies is doing what I really want to do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.