Seed Catalogs

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Good Morning Michiganians and wanna be Michiganians........I wanted to talk about Seed Catalogs, and although Garden Watchdog is a great feature here at Dave's, I thought we could offer our own positive or negative experiences with some of these bogus companies....the first of which makes me so angry since its called Michigan Bulb. I have my own horror story to tell about this company when I first started gardening.

However, I received 6 catalogs yesterday, one of which is called Farmer Seed and Nursery. Buyers Beware!! This company has some pretty good looking "Eye Candy" out of their catalog, but it is also associated with other not so honest companies. This whole group were once private companies and were bought out by a conglomerate who is running House of Wesley, Direct Gardening, Wayside Gardens, Honeycreek Nurseries, Interstate Nurseries, as well as others. I went checking on Garden Watchdog and could not believe the negatives. Farmers Seed had only 3 positives, 7 neutrals, and get this, 61 negatives....Boy red flags should go up in a New York Minute here....

What has been your experience with some of these seed catalogs, as you all know our mail boxes are gonna be over run with them. So gang, lets weed out the bad guys before any of us start to order and get burned.....

Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have had some bad experiences with Wayside Gardens. I certainly would not order from them again.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I like Thompson & Morgan seed company. I love their catalogue also.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dont order many seeds anymore but i also like T&M catalog
valueseeds.com have been great too with .99 shipping

michigan bulb is OUT-bad bad bad

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I agree notmartha I will never order from Michigan bulb again either. So dissappointing.... almost every thing died last summer or i actually did get some credit but everything was really small. I will pay more for the full grown bush from now on. I really dont order any seeds so I cant rate any of the seed catalouges. But its a wonderful idea. Ronna

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I have ordered from MI bulb, Spring Hill, Breck's, Van Bourgian (I never spell that right), Brent & Becky's, Dutch Gardens and Bluestone Perennials this last year and was realitively happy with all of them. The stuff I got from Dutch gardens, & bluestone perennials were about the same size as the stuff from all the others & they were the 2 most expensive. The only problem with Van Bourgian's was that it took forever to get my stuff. I was hesitant about some of the others after reading on the watchdog, but I've had over all good experiences (the lily bulbs from Breck's ere awsome-I could have divided scaled off as soon as I got them if I'd wanted to). I think a lot of the time it depends on when & what you order

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I do agree the bulbs from breck are always wonderful... nice and full no bad spots i almost always order from the for the fall. i really like it when ethey have the frre 25.00 coupon on the front of the catalouge. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well if were talking best place to order plants and bulbs not SEEDS-hands down its from eflowergarden.com our own daves member bleek-Bert!!! I will always buy from Bert and his daughter Ingrid at Touchofnature.com
those are my TOP of the list companies!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Untill a year ago (pre Daves) I got most of my plants from mich bulbs and spring hill some good stuff most not so good !!!!!!!How was I to know?????? so glad I found this wonderful Garden I think this is a wondeful way for new people to find out about these plant co.
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

has anyone ever dealt with Jungs??? I just got a catalog from them have never bought anything from them but they have really good prices??? Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I order from them about every year have for as long as I can remember on the whole I'v always had good luck with them some of there stuff is smaller than I would like but its always grown for me
Gloria

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have ordered from Jung's and not had any problems.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry I've been away so long gals and guys ... been out with a back problem ... my first ever. Hopefully my last.

Anyway, I've ordered from Van Engelen Bulbs. Split an order with some friends. They were great. I believe they are part of John Schepers (spelling).

I was just looking at the Jung catalog also ... saw several seeds and plants I was interested in.
I was in on the eflowergarden.com co-op and was very happy with what I received.

Thanks for mentioning bluestone perennials, I love looking at their catalog but have never ordered because of the price. But good to know if there was something I couldn't do without then they would come through with the plant.
sharon

(Zone 9a)

Hello All. Is it alright for someone who lives in USDA zone 9a to post on this thread?

Thompson & Morgan puts out a real nice catalog. Just enough hardy, tropicals to get my checkbook out more often than it should be. :) Seeds are USUALLY good.

Michigan Bulb - Not so good. Appears they are owned by someone and whoever supplies plants to those very similar companies does a second rate job.

Jungs has always treated me well. Almost had a plant (Wolfberry) from them die last summer. It got here VERY dry and brown. I know they would have sent a replacement if I had called, but I'm not one to give up on a plant and it was flowering as recently as November. :)

Only bad things I can say about Jungs is that they are too big. "Walmartish". Does anyone know how many sister companies they have? Also, one of those McClure & Zimmerman's website since it belongs to ?Jungs? sets off all kinds of red lights with my virus protection and I am not one to go against my virus protection's warnings.
What did the sales woman on the telephone say? "Oh yea it's been like that for years".

Well all I could think was "WELL FIX IT". :)
Jungs is still a quality company in my book. :)

All that from USDA zone 9a :Ф

Thanks
Andrew

(Zone 9a)

Oh - almost forgot, Wayside Gardens seems quite over-priced.
Is it them selling (a few years back) Olive trees for three figures?

Please don't buy that. I'll be selling them soon for nothing compared to that. :)

Park's Seeds or Park Seeds in SC I believe?

Pricing and service - not too bad, but don't always expect to get the same plant that you ordered. NO JOKE!

see ya

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i agree with the blue stone cat. ive always enjoyed looking but never have ordered to pricey. but i may consider the jungs cataloge. looks very nice were the plants a good size??? i really dont do seeds. but i like their assortment of perrenials. i have ordered from wayside many time and have had pretty good luck with them. i ordered some shade clematis last spring they came packaged pretty good i just hope they blossom next summer. they really didnt grow to much last summer. i think i will look at the eflowergarden site i love doing that. i look at the snow out there and am really getting the "itch" again... Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

so really not a good idea to go to the jungs site hey? thanks for the tip zone 9er. now go out and weed your garden!!!! just kidding happy new year, where are you in the zone of 9?

(Zone 9a)

NO Ms. gardenlady123,

Jungs is a good company in my book.
The website just has issues with my virus protection.
Really the other way around. :)
I'm sure it is nothing, but I don't have my computer backed up properly.

Edited because I forgot :
Zone 9a SOUTH :)

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 6:47 AM

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well the eflowers and touch of nature site is very nice very nice prices... i can see you have to get on there pretty early in the season. lots of things are already sold out. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Ronna most of that is from 2007 they will have spring stuff for 2008 shipping posted soon
I promise to let everyone know when its updated!!!

bought me a heat mat today 48X20 $60.00 plus shipping
I have 3 cell packs in the window and the 2 cells that are on the small
reptile heating pad are sprouting, so this yr im going to get them warming!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks notmartha will keep an eye out. im looking forward to getting more cats in the mail i love looking and looking at them... my husband says didnt you look at those already??? i say not 10 times yet. :) happy winter everyone we got at least 4 inches of snow overnight.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey does any one do any interesting heat sources for seedlings??
I read some books and made a very interesting box that I heat with Christmas lights underneath.
On top I put metal studs and then 12"x12" or 16"x16" ceramic tiles( which ever ones are cheapest on sale/close out). I get the ceramic tile to heat up and then my seedling flats go on top.
My box is 4'x8' lumber screwed together and put on a work bench. The metal studs screwed to the top of the wood frame and then the Christmas lights and then the tile. I did this to save on the cost of heat mats since I was growing 50 flats of flowers, veg. and starting 50 or so tropicals, canna, callas, caladiums, begonias, and elephant ears.
My question I guess is does anyone do any alternate to a heat mat and how has that worked for you
as I am always interested in refining my technique!! I know there must be some other clever ways of heating if you do not have a green house. Please share.
Thanks, Julie

(Zone 9a)

jazzzy704,

I lined (very heavily) a plastic storage box with aluminum foil.
Was worried that my heat mat would catch on fire and it helps
keep the heat higher.

I'm thinking about making my own heat mat with a heat cable, some hardware cloth, and some more aluminum foil. It will be a lot cheaper than the 2 X 4 heat mats that I have seen for sale.

I'll let you know if it doesn't have a BAD ending. :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is paul's invention
plus other peeps
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/182057/

This message was edited Jan 6, 2008 6:00 PM

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I've used an old heating pad under the platic trays with the seedlings in it under lights. Worked great. I always kept the heating pad on low setting.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i just ordered a 48X20 heat mat for seeds!
60+shipping!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

If I set a seed tray on a heating pad, where should I set the temp? (Old - just has Low, Med, High.)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I always used low heat. You don't want to cook the seedlings just provide a little gentle warmth to get them to germinate and get going.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

has any one else had trouble with the eflowergarden.com site everytime i place and order or try to it skips from one heading to another. i guess i will have to call there. they have wonderful prices on there bulbs for spring...Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

eflowergarden still has up all its 2007 stuff its not been updated for 2008 as far as i can see
the owner is a member here-Bleek is his user name here at daves if you want to dmail him

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

PJ......just remember to plan your germination in conjunction with when you can take them outside and plant them in the ground........I usually start mine in early April as I really can not put into the ground till almost Memorial Day....

Some plants like Impatiens take a long time to germinate, and Lisianthius is another one that takes forever....sometimes its easier to just buy them when your ready to put into the ground.

Good Luck PJ

Deann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well duh notmartha i didnt even look at the date!!!! no wonder i couldnt order anything!!!!! i guess i better wake up. i really want to order from them when they do update i will have to keep a close eye... and an open eye. Ronna

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Here are 2 web site I ordered from this pass fall & I was very pleased with the seeds I got from them .
I see some have given neg votes for them for one reason or another but I had no problems with my orders

http://www.hardyplants.com/
Hardyplants was out of a couple of the seeds I wanted but they sent me my money back in cash
took maybe 3-4 wks for the seed order but i was in no hurry anyway .

http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=Hazwho
recieved seeds within 2wks time & any out of stock was set later when it was restocked.

Park seeds order same as hazzards out of stock was sent later.
I have loads of seeds to plant this spring :))) some I have planted now but with this JAN Thaw I hope they won't grow :(

anyone here winter sow??? well I have to get out of here you all have a great day also hope to meet you one day:)

susie /deejay9
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/778693/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i got some morning glory seeds from a friend are they pretty easy to start in sine??? does any one have them do they need full sun??? i have a place where they might get some all day dappled sun is that good? i want to mix them in with my silver lace vine... i got the idea from a nother forum. it sounds very pretty. Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I usually just direct sow morning glory seeds after I presoak them. Some plants don't really like to be replanted or moved. They germinate very fast. I planted some Heavenly Blue last year in with my silver lace vine and it was really pretty. I like silver lace vine but it is a lot of work. I have to hack that thing back every spring ot it just eats the trellis and fence.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I always start my heavenly blue and the pink ones inside. I have Grandpa otts that reseed all over. I put three to a cell pack (not the tiny cells...about a three inch square thing) I saw they did this at my local greenhouse. Last year I started some later in the year and stuck them out and had blooms all season long. Mine tend to peter out by August.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

I hacked out my whole Silver Lace but it keeps sneaking back and mixing in with the hops. It never bloomed but it's a monster grower. Ugh.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello All,
Hi Susie and thanks for the link to Hardy plants. I need alot of one seed and they are a terrific resourse for lots of a particular seed. I thank all of you who shared your germinating techniques.
I have the same set up as "pauls" in the link you provided Dori, but mine is 4'x8' and on the top I put ceramic tiles as they spread the heat and don't give you HOT spots as metal does.So we are on the same wave length!!
I have always started my seed too early. So this year i swear to start a little later than usually.
Susie, I also do some winter sowing. I am trying to do more. I put my seeds in zip lock bags in the moist potting mix and wait for signs of green. i do this with cabbage and Kale which I use for my victorian gardens and several other plants but I want to do more of it. There is so much to do in Spring I hate having TOO many little sprouting green things in see thru pouches looking at me begging for a pot!!
I usually put up half a dozen to a dozen flats that I no longer want!!
I start with an idea of color combinations for my 30+ containers and by the time spring is here I have changed some plants I want and of course I did not buy the seed so I must purchase the plant. It happens for me every year!! I always seem to see something i think will work better and bam there i go down to the local green house to empty my wallet on the latest new annual or perrennial to use in my pots!! I pour over those catalogues and then think I have confirmed my ideas and well you know....At least I am Flexible!!
How about all of you? Do you grow all your own annuals or not??
Does anyone have any success with sweet pot. vine?? I have tried to overwinter but with NO success.
Thanks I'll shut up now and look for some answers!!
Julie P.S. Can't wait to meet some of you at the plant exch. that Susie is organizing!!
I hope my wisteria blooms well this spring. This picture is from 2007!!

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Jazz thanks for the swap Boost :)) & YW for the seed link . & I hope that you might Have some cutting for the wisteria or some rooted sprouts
I have just the spot for it :)))

heres my pansy I found blooming in my yard yesterday :)) so spring in on the way :)))

Thumbnail by deejay9
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Jazzy,

Your wisteria vine is beautiful. I bought one summer before last at Walmart. It looked so healthy that I couldn't pass it up. I even bought it it's very own trellis. The following summer it bloomed. It only had about 4 blooms on it but I was surprised since I've read how hard it is to get them to bloom and how many years etc. I guess I just got lucky or it likes it's spot or something. I jus thope the trellis is sturdy enough to hold it up since I hear they are heavy vines.

What a nice find to get a pansy blooming in January! It must think it's spring. I know we still have a lot of winter to get through but I sure hope we have an early spring this year. Wouldn't that be nice?

I buy my sweet potato vines new each year. I just alot myself so much money to buy my favorite annuals and vegetables so I do. I have a fancy grow light setup but haven't found a place yet to put it up in this small house. Ideally it should be in the basement but my basement is so full of stuff. :) Someday! I used to buy all my annuals downstate at Blocks cheap and figured it was easier than growing my own. Those light units take a lot of electricity to run 14-16 hours a day. If you don't keep strong lights on them the plants will be spindly and not healthy. Some day I'll get back into it though since I used to love growing from seed. If I can clear out a space in the basement the heat from the lights will rise and help heat the house.

The only seeds I've ordered and received so far are a special small cucumber seed from Stokes.

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.