FUYU Persimmon

Longboat Key, FL

I finally got hooked.

I would have posted this on "Fruit and Nuts," but that site seems to have gone into hibernation. But not us -- right?

We have been talking about exotic fruits (other than citrus.) I hope that I did right by taking a flyer on these.

They are six feet tall, and came looking good.

Here is the first.

I braced the top two branches in order to spread the canopy -- if it ever comes.

:)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

This is the second.

: )

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Now I have to seriously take up Ponce de Leon's quest for the Fountain of Youth, so that I can survive long enough to eat the fruit.

(Any of you guys have a clue? It's supposed to be here in Florida.)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

No info on how long it takes a persimmon to bear fruit, FlyBoy, but there is always the possibility of being cryogenically frozen with an instruction to add one of the persimmons to your deep freeze tank so that you can enjoy it sometime in the future. Barring that unlikely scenario, I do hope you have persimmons soon!

Jeremy

Longboat Key, FL

Jax~

Jeremy:

Hmmmm. I never thought of that. But I'd need find someone responsible whom I could trust to quickly reclose the lid.

Quick thawing -- you know.

Be well

Longboat Key, FL

Well -- they made it.

Here's the first growth:

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Yum, I like persimmons. I planted one years ago & it just up & died before bearing, never tried again. I understand that particular variety can be eaten before they are ripe. I remember trying some of the older variety when a kid & they were not good. They would turn your mouth almost inside out! BTW I would think yours would bear soon that big.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2008 1:50 PM

Longboat Key, FL

Rene10~

As for their bearing fruit soon enough -- from your mouth to G-d's ears.

Be well

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Persimmon don't take long to fruit. They grow in the wild here but you don't want a wild one. Taste not so good. LOL. You a Japanese variety? Those are better tasting.

Longboat Key, FL

Thanks.

I just hope I am around long enough.

Be well

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a couple of these trees that I got from raintree nursery last year. No leaves on them yet, hopefully they will grow better this year than it it did last.

Mimi

Longboat Key, FL

mimi~

How big were they when you got them, and how did they perform their first year in the ground?

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

When I got them they were probably around 4 ft, looked alot like yours. Last year it did have a few leaves, but no growth, no new limbs even though I checked them almost everyday!

So I'm hoping for a better growth this year and for yours, too!

Mimi

Longboat Key, FL

Thanks

Brad

Longboat Key, FL

My persimmon trees still don't look much like trees. Much like the whips I unwrapped a year ago. This is today's photo.

The good looking tree behind it (guyed up) is from an avocado seed I planted about eight months earlier than the persimmon. I have already trimmed away much of its foliage.

Has anyone had any luck?

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

I have 4, 2 of each type. Have had the trees 3 years. On has held fruit twice and the others have held fruit once each. One thing you must remember is only use the right kind of fertilizing and little of it. If you have grass near by do to feed the grass as this will keep the trees from fruiting.

Longboat Key, FL

What do they look like? The trees, I mean.

Be well

One is about 10 feet high but only about 4 feet wide. One is only 4 feet high and 3 wide. the others are inbetween. I have tried to keep the tall one undercontrol. They are planted close together( very close) the short one does not get a lot of sun becouse of the fig tree but then non of them get a lot of sun, to many trees.

Longboat Key, FL

Well, mine get lots of sun. I checked with the nursery from which I got them, They agreed that the trees showed stress.

We have a sprinkler system -- and can sprinkle only once a week. But I do, also, water them by hand.

I do fertilize them.

This is an excerpt from their e-mail:

Thank you for your inquiry and the pictures. I can see why you are distressed. The leaves in the pictures show the tree is under some form of stress, it looks mostly like drought stress but the burning on the leaf could be a fertilizer related problem as well. To help sort out the problem we'll need to know if the trees are receiving a good deep soaking of water every couple of days during the summer. This soaking is best accomplished by letting the water hose drip on the tree for about an hour. Do you have a sprinkling system to water your trees? If so check to make sure it covering the root system with enough water and it's coming on two or three times a week. It could also be having trouble with to much or to little fertilizer. They need one cup of 10-10-10 or a good fruit tree fertilizer with micro nutrients like zinc and magnesium in February, May and July. Make sure you get a fertilizer that is granulated and spread it in a three foot area around the trunk of the tree. It it also important to mulch the area that your fertilizing as this keeps the grass from growing around the tree. Grass will steal all the water and fertilizer from your tree, mulching also keeps the root system cool and moist in between watering. It will add rich organic matter to the soil when it rots helping to make a better topsoil.

We get fantastic growth out of our persimmon trees by applying a heavy dose of 10-10-10 in the February, I top dress a three foot area around the tree with manure,( if I can't find fresh manure then I use the bagged black cow) I finish off the trees by applying a whole bale of hay to that area (Make sure you pull the mulch away from the trunk to keep it from causing a rot). If I'm doing the trees in a yard setting where it's got to look good I'll top dress the hay with a more attractive mulch like pine bark. This thick layer of mulch and manure will break down within a year and feed the tree while helping keep it moist during dry spells.

I really expected real tree-looking trees. But I'll be patient -- if I survive.

Be well

Ug! I do not do any of that! If it rains they get watered. No mulch, no manure, grass around them. For the last three very little care at all. I was taking care of my dad and the yard get left to itself. I will try to take better care now

you can find better instructions at www.justfruitsandexotics.com they have better info. One thing they say is to only use the 10-10-10 the first year for growth. Then only us 5-10-15!!!!!

This is also a great place to buy fruit trees for florida!!!!!!!

Longboat Key, FL

Wren~

That is where I got them!

And the above is their instructions, from Brandy.

So, take your pick.

I don't know. the only thing- could it be too hot for them where you live?

Longboat Key, FL

Live and (maybe) learn.

I am still having conversation with Just Fruits. They know where I live.

Hoping.

What kind of soil do you have? I wonder if that might be part of the problem. You are on a island. And the soil down there is a lot different than the soil up here. I have more of a south Ga. type of soil. Lot of oak leaves.

Sandy

Mulberry, FL

any time i have something stressed out I give it superthrive with the fertilizer always helps

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It seems my Fuju persimmon fruits abundantly one year, then skips the next. This year the crop was pitiful, so hopefully next year it'll make a come back. My Fuju is grafted with 'Lotus' root stock.

Longboat Key, FL

We are on a dredged-up piece of land -- but the soil had been augmented with topsoil. The avocado next to the little critter is thriving -- maybe I should have planted something that already grows well on my neighbor's lot.

My best figs came from cuttings from my neighbor's garden.

S'funny. The grower advises to fertilize sparingly three times a year , starting in February.

Never knew these little devils were so fussy.

And, lily~, how big is your tree and how many persimmon does it produce in a good year

Be well, all

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted mine year before last. Ironically the branches were weighed down with fruits the year it was transplanted. Then one by one they felt off the tree before mature?

This year it yielded 3 fruits. The tree is about 5-6 feet tall. Birds/critters got to the fruits before I get to them though. Arghhh!!!

It is normal for the trees to product every other year. fruit drop can be becouse of to much nitragin(?) the first number or not enough water

I could loan you my dog to keep the critters out of your fruit. But I should warn you that he is know as the demon child from h----l Not only is he good at keeping critters out of the fruit he is a expert on getting into mischief!!!!LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks wren for the tips. I shall try to take better care of the tree next growing season. Ahhh, what makes your dog so 'human', lol. Mine are too, infact, one of my dogs doesn't know she's a dog. lol.

I think Andre thinks he is a Superior being, and us humans are a big joke.

Me to on the tree care the last three years things have been let go around here. I hope to trim back the fig tree(no one eats the figs) to get more sun for mine persimmons.

Longboat Key, FL

It looks like a better year -- so far.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Looks good. I have noticed that I have a LOT more blooms on my 4 trees this year. Maybe the cold helped.

Sandy

Longboat Key, FL

Sandy~

Please show me what the blooms look like. I still have not seen one.

Be well

Here is a picture of them open on one of my trees this year. I already have some fruit. They look like tiny green bells. You have to turn them up to see the flowers when they open. Here is a picture from the fills http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/40832/

Thumbnail by wren107
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My citrus trees are flowering like crazy this year, could be the cold. We got as cold as we ever get up here. One night we hit 23 for a few hours.

My cherry tree flowered like never before and the Flordaglo peach also had a lot more blooms (nothing yet from the pear tree). The additional chilling hours did seem to do the trick to make the fruit trees happy.

Jeremy

Longboat Key, FL

We did get a lot of bloom this year on the citrus.

But, I never saw a persimmon blossom -- so far.

Thanks for the link.

Be well

It may take a couple of years. My smallest tree only had couple of blooms last year and it lost them but this year it is loaded. And they have disproved the theory that they produce every other year as the 2 that had fruit last year are loaded with blooms also.

Sandy

Longboat Key, FL

Good luck. Hope some rubs off on me.

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.