Plants whose seeds are not fertile ??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Is there a list compiled some where that lists plants that can not be grown by seed?

I'm concerned about this since now i am trading seeds.

TIA,

Terese

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry no one has answered you. I'll give it a try.

I believe that if a plant cannot be grown by seed it is because there will be no seeds. In other words, if a plant is sterile, it will not make seeds. If a plant cannot produce seeds, how did the grower get the seeds you planted? I think this is done by redoing the cross every time to get seeds. This would be very expensive, so usually additional plants are produced via cuttings. I read somewhere that redoing the cross every time is how the Japanese morning glory seeds are produced and one of the reasons they are so expensive. I don't know if this is because the JMG have no seeds or if it is impractical to propagate from cuttings.

However, there is another side to this question. If your plant is a hybrid (F1), then it may very well produce seeds and the seeds will grow, but the results will not be like the original parent plant. Some of these seeds will produce plants with flowers that look like the original mother plant, some will look like the original father plant, and some will be a variation in between or even totally unlike the original plant.

Hope this helps,

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Karen ... i actually started researching this today... but got sidetracked ....

and yes, that all makes sense.

I just want to make sure i do not give away "duds".

Thanks,

Terese

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Terese,

It is likely a seedhead will have mostly viable seeds with some not viable as well, so to avoid the "dud" problem just enclose extras.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OK... makes sense.

Since i have A LOT of seeds of the varieties i have, i do give plenty in trades.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.