December Daily Weather III, We Came upon a midnight clear.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wind's only gonna get worse so you might wanna hunker down. :~)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep!
I'm glad I got everything secured out there today.
It's just the start I'm sure.
Ah Winter in the Midwest...

Here's our new work area.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb – The thing I love about making banana nut muffins is they’re so easy to make and only take about 13 minutes to cook. I found these star shaped muffin tins at the grocery store – the muffins are really cute! Pretty moss pic!
Se_eds – Yummm cheesecake, cherry pie! We’re almost ready too. Just need to pick up a couple of stocking stuffers for the boys and the cats and Prissy and that’s it!
Ric – You had he heat wave! 60* - I’d have broken out the shorts and t-shirt too! I cant’ let Jeff see all the bamboo. He will think if it’s okay for Ric to have it – them so can he! Although I do love the striped bamboo. The Alpine Rock Cress is very pretty as well. What will the flowers look like? You should be nice and cozy in the work area now!
Pepper – OMG – Be careful – that’s frightening. Are you near Indep, KS?

55.8 °F / 13.2 °C
Fog
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)

Dense fog advisory in effect until 8 am EST this morning...

Dense fog advisory in effect until 8 am EST this morning...
Today
Widespread dense fog through the early morning with visibility one quarter mile or less. Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of showers...mainly in the early morning and late afternoon. Warmer. High 72. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Whatever this headache/nausea/dizzy thing is that's going around is in my cul-de-sac now. Seems like everyone has it or has had it recently.

dunes

Thumbnail by MySharona

Some interesting fungus on a dead tree branch.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Thanksgiving cactus - I have multiple blooms!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

And here I was thinking solstice was the 21st .....lol. It was on the news last night .... Kiska - no only those that believe in the old Norse gods celebrate solstice here.

Deb - Gáttaþefur brought them pets and peg boards for ironing beads.

Thanks again for the well wishes for the girls :-) Selma did have a bit of a fever again last night but nothing like the night before so she's definitely improving. Looks like she'll have to stay inside until the 24th at least though.

We did get a tree and it's up :-) The girls are decorating as I'm typing this :-)

Nr. 12 is Ketkrókur. He goes straight for the good stuff, the smoked lamb. That is our traditional Christmas dinner, served with potatoes, a white sauce and the leaf bread. It's usually served now on Christmas Day since the food selection has increased vastly and pork has now become the most popular roast on Christmas Eve. We serve the smoked lamb cold so I'll be cooking it today - it brings the scent of Christmas to the house ;-)

Ketkrókur brought the girls pets too ;-)

Today's weather is cloudy, 32°F and a rather stiff breeze blowing straight from the north at 20 mph gusting to 26 mph. Sunrise will be at 11:23 and sunset at 3:30.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Ric - your bamboo is so pretty :-) I especially like the photo of the snowcovered one :-) Your working area looks secure enough! :-)

Sharon - great photos :-) Your Christmas Cactus is so pretty :-)

pepper - yikes! More bad weather! Hope the worst is over by now.

seeds - cheese cake and pie sounds yummy :-)

Rann

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Still dark, trace rainfall overnight, supposed to thunderstorms this afternoon, 41°(F).

Lebanon, OR

Well this weather and the season, has done a number on me. Been sick with Larynitis and Broncitis since Fri after Thanksgiving. Well been twice for it...had to go the Urgent Care center today finally and have pneumonia so now finally they put on super strong antibodic after shot of antibodic and prescription cough meds. Hopefully I will have a nicer voice and feel not so tired by Christmas day.

Wishish each and every one a Very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.

Hope your girls get better Rann.

Tonight too much coughing to sleep well.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Raining (it's a good thing)! 42°(F)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sharon that looks to be Trametes versicolor or Turkey Tail Fungus.
I'll be posting shots of the Alpine as it flowers out.....tease.... lol!

The wind is seriuoesly whipping here now.
It's 41° (Wind Chill 31°) w/ sustained 22 MPH Winds gusting to 55.
Just a spit of rain.
The temps will drop all day to about feezing by dark.
Then it will rise again overnight.

Here's our Lenten Rose showing it's new shoots.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: Raining here, too! Another 1/2" so far. Makes a total of 3" in the past 10 days.
Ric: Your Lenten Rose looks better than mine do. They're in a corner of our fenced in back garden where the dogs tend to trample them. :) Hopefully, they will bloom anyway. :)
Dee: You've had a rough few weeks. I do hope the meds work and you feel better for Christmas!
Sharon: Your cactus is just beautiful.
Pepper: I just saw photos of some of the highway pile-ups on the news. You stay safe, now!

Warm enough the sit on the screen porch and read the paper this morning. High today will be 70F. Breezy and damp.
Deb

(Zone 3b)

Cloudy with isolated snow showers in the morning...then snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Highs in the 20s. Northeast wind 10 to 25 mph shifting to the southeast 10 mph in the afternoon.
Hope this link works; about the moon and mars eclipse today.
http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/245097.html
Good morning everyone; will check back later.
Get well soon, dee...
Photo is not current. Base of Pioneer Peak.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I have been wanting to extend the front deck of la-casa-doublewide for some time and just thought of how to use the extension to hide a rain water collection cistern, now I just have to figure out where the get the materials and how to pay for them.

45° & still raining.

Kansas City, Missouri
Sharon, I live closer to Independece, MO than the one in KS.

There were alot of pile ups in the area due to white out conditions yesterday. Most of them were up north though where the storm hit hardest. Northern MO got up to 8 inches of snow in some places though we only got a couple due to the wind. I hope to get some pics today since we also have ice on the trees.

We have more storms coming again this week. Christmas night into Weds, a chance all day Fri and a chance on Sat. Another weekend of storms. This makes number 4 or 5 coming up. I can't remember for sure.

Currently: 24°F Clear
Currently: -4°C Clear
Wind: West at 15 MPH
Humidity: 55%
Dewpoint: 10°F
Barometer: 30.04 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 11°F
Wind: West at 24 KPH
Humidity: 55%
Dewpoint: -12°C
Barometer: 1017 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -11° C

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Love the amaryllis, Kelli-- and Deb, the moss, too.
Sharon that is interesting fungus and your cactus is really showing off! LOL Mine has a couple of big blooms on it but it is probably two or three days behind yours in being that showy! I am sure those banana nut muffins are yummy, but really I am just about "baked out" and nothing sweet sounds good to me right now. LOL
Ric, your bamboo is pretty but just make sure you keep it up there, please!
Rann: sounds like troll #12 certainly knows a good dinner when he sees one!
Dee--so sorry about the illness--I certainly pray that you will be much better by Christmas Day.
Well, kiska, we know you will have a white Christmas even if most of the rest of us don't! ☺☺☺
Dyson: you are getting some rain!! Hooray!!

Thanks for the love, peace and joy, se_eds! I will certainly take it and I'm sending some right back to you! and all the rest of you, too!

Like se_eds, we are ready for Christmas here: Presents are wrapped, goodies are baked. We are heading out in a couple of hours to drive to Bryant (about 45 miles from here) and will be spending the afternoon with good friends.

Today: Sunny. Cooler. High 47F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low near 30F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Dyson – So glad you got some more rain!
Dee – I hope you feel much better by Christmas. : (
Ric – LOL! Turkey tail, kind of looks like one!
Kiska – “Do not Stop” = Yikes! Sounds like you’re definitely going to have a white Christmas! I’m envious LOL! Take pictures of the eclipse if you can!
Pepper – I know you’re in Missouri! I haven’t looked at a map to see exactly where you are as opposed to Indep, KS.
Marsue – I’m baked out too! Glad the majority of the baked goods are at friends and neighbors now. Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon.

74.8 °F / 23.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1200 ft / 365 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Stopped raining & the sun came out at 1420 gauge now at 2.9 in (a .4in increase).

Thumbnail by Dyson
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Sharon, what a beautiful cactus!

Sorry to break the green pictures with a white one !it's been freezing, about 15 forecasted tonight and it's snowing again!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Little windows are really frozen !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Close-up on a small window.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, what a round of wind and rain. Henry10, hope you have things battened down tight. We have the cold air from the west battling the warm air from the south all day - sustained 35 mph and gusts of 50-60 mph. We also received an inch of rain, so far - and it is still raining. Under an advisory for wind damage, power lines down, etc. until 2 AM tonight. Currently 59 degrees and some rumbles of thunder.

Wouldn't you know that the coffee pot quit about 3 PM in the afternoon. When I went to the local dollar store to replace it the rain was blowing sideways. Glad to be back in the dry.

Lebanon, OR

Well been in bed most of the day so far. Maybe that is all the body needs is REST...something I very seldom give it. Honey had to take over printing the catalogs to have ready in time to mail out...

Honey even fixed me lunch:)

Pepper we heard about the pile ups! Yipes.

Tomorrow must bake the pies for Christmas, lucky this time only one...not all of them.

In between bed and rest, have to get the spare bed ready for tomorrow.

Take care, stay warm and happy.

D

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dee: rest as much as you can! Feel better soon.
Dyson: Happy to see your rain gauge moving upward. (rained again for a bit this afternoon. I'm going to get spoiled!)
Adina: Brrr! It does look very cold. And looks like you will have a white Christmas. Casuta kinder is...."children's house" or something like that? (WILD guess.)

Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's still blowing here but the temps haven't dropped.
Still 37° but w/ sustained 20 MPH winds the chill is 27° .
We saw a little blowing snow over in KY.
---------------------------------------------------------------
a wind advisory remains in effect until midnight est tonight.

a strong cold front moved across the region earlier this morning.
strong winds persist behind the front as gusts continue to range
from 35 to 45 mph early this afternoon. southwest winds between
20 and 35 mph will continue this afternoon and evening...with
gusts as high as 50 mph. isolated gusts at 50 to 55 mph will also
be possible later this afternoon.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Glad it's getting it out of it's system.
Tomorrow we travel.

Here's some Cone Cakes for you.
They're baked right in the cone.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Forgot to sat Adina those Hoar Frost photos are Great!!

Thumbnail by henryr10

I thought it was going to rain, but no. Oh well, I soaked the plants at 4:00, which is our cutoff.
Adina – I love the snow pics, especially the last one! You’re going to have a white Christmas too!
Se_eds – Wow – you’re in for a gusty ride tonight! Hang on and stay safe and warm. We’d have left the nest to buy a new coffee pot too! Jeff can’t go too long without his café!
Dee – Sometimes all the body wants is rest. So take as much as you need. May you get tons of sleep tonight!
Ric – I want that recipe! They look yummy and cute! Be safe tomorrow on your journey.

67.1 °F / 19.5 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft / 2743 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 44. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

This was the fog this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

Currently: 27°F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -2°C Partly Cloudy
Wind: West at 9 MPH
Humidity: 53%
Dewpoint: 12°F
Barometer: 30.09 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 18°F
Wind: West at 14 KPH
Dewpoint: -11°C
Barometer: 1019 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -7° C

(Zone 3b)

3pm; gray, black and white; christmas lights look great outdoors now.
Adina~ the wintry photos are very nice; so pretty there. Is Deb right? Seems it could be.
ric~wow~a good time to be indoors looking out. Thanks for the cone cakes; cute idea and look almost to good to eat.
Dee~seems you've been able to take it easy; hopefully you won't overdo tomorrow:)) get well soon.
MySharona~what a great foggy photo; looks to be winter-like.
se_eds~that would have been a necessary errand, here too..gotta keep the coffee coming:)) glad you're home safe and sound to enjoy it.
I'm very excited; the glass projects are selling so fast, we can't keep up. My daughter and I are in this together; we've got both kilns running today and projects planned, just need time.. The large pieces take two days to complete the process. We can do jewelry in a few hours. At least we can now buy more glass:)
Yesterday grkids came to decorate; couldn't get them all in one photo, but all had fun.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

opps; sorry, cross posted pepper; hasn't got any better there, has it?

Nope. :~) My sister is mad at me for it too. Been trying to go see her for several weeks but the roads have been so bad we told her we have to wait til the next weekend. She has heard it 4 times now and she's tired of hearing it. lol.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The winds are dying off here finally. Down to around 15 MPH now.
We're still getting a few blasts but it's still 37°.

But up in Dayton they are still hitting 32 MPH sustained.... w/ a temp of 30° up there they are getting Wind Chills of about 14° .
Hope that's all finished before we slid up there tomorrow afternoon!!

All the plastic held and the trees haven't dropped anything major so all in all it's been a breezy but safe day.

The Cone Cakes are easy to make.
Basically you just take any cake mix prepared per their directions.
Then take the flat bottomed Ice Cream Cones.
Put them in cupcake pans or a baking pan w/ sides.
Fill them 2/3 w/ the batter.
Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes. (till they spring back when lightly touched)
Let them cool them ice.
I found it easiest to soften the icing then dip and spin the cones.
Then just pop on the sprinkles.

We'll be hitting the Hot Tub in about an hour.
Nothing like a hot tub on a cold night!!!!
Ric

(Zone 3b)

pepper~~too bad you've been unable to get to your sister's home. Maybe the first of the year?
Ric~~I've got to try the cupcakes; they will be a hit with all.. You have the same attitude as my son, the colder, the better; he's put a small tv outside, undercover, so they don't miss the ftball games>>
My son, ice fishing and cooking hot dogs; no fish to fry...
The ice is several feet thick...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska, your son isn't even wearing gloves!!! BRRRR. You really have to like hotdogs to cook them in that kind of weather outside!! LOL Your grandkids look like they were having a great time icing those cookies. What fun!
Ric, those cone cakes look like a chocolate lover's dream! and I know with the weather you have been having that hot tub is going to feel extra good tonight.
Pretty pictures, adina, but cold-looking!!
Pepper, sorry about your bad weather preventing you from visiting your sister. Hopefully you won't have to wait till spring to visit her.
Think I'll go watch a Christmas movie. Talk to y'all tomorrow.

Lebanon, OR

Thanks all for the get well wishes. Since being in bed most of the day, I do feel better! Will continue resting until pie baking tomorrow.

It has been raining most of the day but is warmer than we have been for about 10 days now. Got up to 53F today:)

Almost a heat wave!

Chat with you all tomorrow.

D

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!!
Kiska – Congratulations on your success! Post some pictures of the jewelry and more of the pieces you are selling. This is so exciting! Your GK’s look like they are having a great time.
Pepper – Surely your sister understands about the weather. Hopefully it will clear up enough to see her next weekend.
Ric – I never thought about baking cake in an ice cream cone! It’s a cute idea and great for the kids. Glad the plastic held so you could enjoy the hot tub!
Kiska – Your son doesn’t have any gloves on! I’m sure you adapt to the temps and it doesn’t feel “that cold”. How can you tell how thick the ice is?
Marsue - I can eat a hot dog any day any time! LOL! What movie did you watch?
Dee - Glad you are felling better. Try to not overdo today.

44.4 °F / 6.9 °C
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 28 °F / -2 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 42 °F / 6 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Cooler. High 60. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Looks like we'll have a cool Christmas this year! Wooo Hoooo! LOL! I'll have to do a little more baking today - a birthday cake (Jeff is a Christmas baby). I started some chicken chili last night (for lunch/dinner today) in the crock pot. It smells so good it woke me up!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Currently: 18°F Clear
Currently: -7°C Clear
Wind: Southwest at 7 MPH
Humidity: 77%
Dewpoint: 12°F
Barometer: 30.13 inches and steady
Wind Chill: 9°F
Wind: Southwest at 11 KPH
Humidity: 77%
Dewpoint: -11°C
Barometer: 1020 millibars and steady
Wind Chill: -12° C

Pepper -12 wind chill Brrrrr!

We're a little cooler now than my earlier post.
43.2 °F / 6.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 28 °F / -2 °C

This mornings sky from the back yard while I was refilling the bird feeders.

Thumbnail by MySharona

And from the front door

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: I'll say the same....No gloves?! LOL! I was out taking some photos this morning. It was 38F and I cut my little session short because my fingers were getting numb.
Sharon: Glad you'll have a cool down for the holiday. I have to admit that, as much as I hate cold, the frosty morning does feel more 'right" for the season. You had a lovely sky this morning.
Oh my goodness, Pepper! I know you will be wearing gloves if you have to go out in -12 windchill?!!!
Dee: Glad you're feeling a little better.

Curently 44F, on the way up to 65. Had a surprise frost last night - it was only supposed to get to the low 40s but turned out about 8 degrees colder. Weatherman scores again! :)

Here's one on my pics from this morning.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.