Rawlings Conservatory Holiday Display

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome to our tour.
We were a small but enthusiastic group. Gita,Nutmegnanna & husband Ron, HollyAnnS & husband Ric. This beautiful poinsettia tree display was set up in the Orchid Room. The Orchids were in full bloom, I think we could have spent hours in just that room alone.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These 3 huge balls are in the North Pavilion which is the Main Entrance. I understand that it took 4 huge guys to move them get them hung. I'm thinking about trying to make one of these in a much smaller version next year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

More of the North Pavilion display. There were 7 different varieties of red Poinsettia used in this display.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita is a volunteer at the conservatory & arranged our tour. Here she is with our guides. She hand crocheted the little wreath pins for all of us. Somewhere I have mislaid my notes so Gita will have to provide us with the names. Having a guided tour was a real highlight. The Palm House build in 1888 is one of the few Victorian Conservatories left in the world. The history surrounding it and a real insight into acquiring plants, transporting, planting & maintaining this Conservatory was wonderful.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

South Pavilion & my favorite display.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This room was full of the most beautiful pink poinsettias.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

more

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have more pictures to post later but I need to go now. Ron & Gita both took some pictures and they will be posting some of theirs here as well.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful, HollyAnn! I don't know what's prettier in the top photo, the tree or your wonderful faces.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pictures, Holly!!!!

I uploaded mine a couple of days ago, but was waiting for you to start the new Thread so I could post them. Didn't want to "beat you to it".

Our 2 tour guides--Kate Blum (the short one) is also the director of the Rawlings Conservatory. Sorry, but I did not catch the other guide's name.

OK! I will post my pictures. Some, I am sure, will be repeats.

Here are the 5 of us again. Still holding those smiles.....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Took some pictures in the Palm House. Don't know the names....Holly! You took notes!
I do remember that this one was called "the Bottle palm"--for obvious reasons...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This was the Conifferous Sago palm. Obviously there are different kinds. it is about 30 yrs. old. The fact that the "cone" had split open was a big event at the Conservatory.

Did you know that the Sago Palm is one of the oldest living plants? it was around before the Dinosaurs! Another plant equally old is the Ghinko Tree.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a close-up. Much like a pine cone, the sections pull right off. The seeds are the small bumps on the wide end.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here isKate Blum--our main guide.
There are some huge, amazing Ginger plants in the Palm House!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is a very beautiful Fan Palm of some kind. SO symmetrical!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This one is almost to the ceiling of the 5-story Palm House. I shot this one straight up.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my Ric Rac--happily residing on the edge of a "cliff" in the Tropical House". They gladly adopted it. I bet it will bloom it's little heart out next summer. Sitting right above a pond--plenty of humidity--perfect temps., etc.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the gorgeous Poinsettia Tree in the Orchid Room! Man! What an impact!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This was a large Poinsettia planting in the Mediterranean House. Kind of just sitting there. Added a lot of color.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice shots Gita, When we got home the DSL was down till Monday morning and I just couldn't get to it till this morning. Ric took all the pictures I'm posting BTW. As I mentioned earlier the Orchid House was in full bloom.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nutmegnanna, Grows orchids and I very much want to acquire one. I think we could have spent hours in in just this one little room.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is my photo of the Christmas Tree in the North Pavilion. Right up against the window. Just beautiful! Surrounded everywhere by Poinsettias.

Here I want to tell you that the N. and S. Pavilions DO NOT actually have any beds. They are just open rooms with a few plants around the edges and in the corners.
When they have these big Shows, they create the beds by hand by edging them with the heavy, granite paver stones and then fill the beds with tons of mulch.
All the plants on display are still in their pots! They just bury the pots in the mulch and cover up any tell-tale edges peeping through.

A lot of this work is done by devoted volunteers. Not me! I cannot kneel or squat. The price I pay for 2 knee replacements.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's one of the two HUGE toy soldiers in the S. Pavilion. They are at least 8' tall!
The arms and legs were made from PVC pipe and the body from one of those concrete tubes. So clever--these people are! And--also very resourceful!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm off to work, will check back later to see more of your wonderful pics Gita. One more shot from the Orchid Room.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the choo-choo train, pulling cars-full of poinsettias. So clever!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly and I hip-hopping to show our pictures.

Now I will post my close-ups of almost every kind of Poinsettia in the displays. At least the less common-looking ones.
Sorry, I don't know all their names. Holly??????? Where's your list?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's some red ones....I think these were the "Jingle Bell" ones.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

These were just SOOO unique! Amazing! Kate said this is a new variety. Hasn't hit the retail market yet--I don't think.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

These were so serene looking. The foliage below was sage green.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a close-up of the previous new variety one.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

These were so tall! Sticking way above the ones below. Very interesting blooms!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a nice grouping.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a close-up of the tall ones 2 pictures back. I sure am not too organized here.....:o(

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

These are the "Winter Rose" variety. They are "fairly" new----maybe less than 10 years on the market???

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the bloom of the Oncidium Orchid. They are smallish and look like little Dutch girls.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

One more......Last one!

The other toy soldier in the S. Pavilian. He bids you all adieu and said to tell everyone to come back for the Spring Bulb Show.

Hey! I have been to that! You think you have seen all the kinds of Daffodils and Tulips????? Guess again! They get their bulbs straight from Holland and all the blooms are outstanding!

Did you know also that the Rawlings Conservatory is also in charge of decorating the City Hall and other prominent government buildings in the city of Baltimore?
The Conservatory IS under the Baltimore City Parks and Recreation Department.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

WOW! I'm sorry I missed such a fun gathering, but I sure do thank you for taking and sharing such wonderful photos!

(O/T, my mom's procedure went very well, and it's good to be up here with my folks this week... she should be back home by the weekend!)

I'll just have to try all the harder to make it to the spring show... and of course I hope you've already penciled in the Groundhog's Day Tea Party and Seed Swap on your schedule! I'm making sure I have some extra seeds on hand for the occasion... but my place sure won't be half as colorful as the conservatory, no matter how cooperative my amaryllises are!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill,

Just WHEN is Groundhogs Day? Can you post a date please? Frankly----I don't want to hear the word "groundhog" after last summer....

I looked at your article and the glass/Botanical gardens. OH MY!!!!! Is that ever beautiful!!!!
I can't even imagine the plants there without all the glass architecture. Each and every one looks like it just belongs there. How on earth does this man do it on such a scale?

Nice job on all your articles!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Saturday, Feb. 2. I feel your pain regarding those pain in the tail critters... but I guess growing up in Pittsburgh was close enough to Punxy that I have fun with the day's festivities. If you've never seen the movie "Groundhog's Day," it's worth renting. :-)

Chuckles the Groundhog will not actually be on the menu, but rest assured I'll be serving something involving sausage -- it's a little tradition of mine. Our usual groundhog's day dinner the past few years has been fried potatoes with sausage, onions and peas... not exactly dainty tea party fare, but very tasty.

I'm glad you liked the Chihuly article... be sure to click on the link for the video tour of the Phipps exhibit!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sorry i missed the tour. Beautiful I bet we can find time to stop in over the holiday, maybe even get my mom over there. wanted to take my mom and MIL together but just too much other stuff toujours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.