2007-08 Tomato Seed Round Robin

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

CLOSED

Tomato Seed Exchanging and Trading Only—no other seeds can be traded or exchanged. Tomato Seeds for Tomato Seeds.

Depending on the amount of signups, if need be, I will start 2 for the US, and one internationally ( if we have enough interest ) I would like to start the Robin(s) on it’s flight plan by December 24. I will close the signup on December 22. One week from today, or when we reach a maximum number of participants. Dependent on the location, I think 15 people per Robin should be about the limit...

I Will Start the Round-Robin Packages with 50 - 100 Different Varieties of Tomato Seed
(I will edit this number to reflect the actual number I put in.)

For Every Packet You Take Out...You Need to replace it with 1(One) of Your own varieties… you may add more than one packet of a particular variety to share with others, but, the trades are 1 for 1.

eg. If you take out packs of Black Krim, Rutgers, Hillbilly, Pink Thai Egg and Bloody Butcher, you can not add five packets of Brandywine to replace them. You must add one different variety for every one variety that you take.

(Extra Seed Packets Can be Added to the Packet if You Wish...to share with others on down the line, but please be mindful of everyone who is participating, and don’t take “all” the extra packets for yourself, golden rule applies here.)

This information should be on every seed packet.
(Each Seed Packet is to Contain at Least 10 Seeds Less than 5 Years oldif it's a 5 yr seed, please include more than 10 seeds to make up for decreased germination )

YOUR DG SCREEN NAME
1- "Name/Variety" of Tomato.
2- Indeterminate or Determinate or Semi-Determinate.
3- Description of Fruit. (Color-Fruit/Plant Size-Shape-Taste)
4- Heirloom-Hybrid.
5- Personally Saved or Store Bought.
6- Year Collected or Obtained

(Please do not put Tomato Seeds that You DO NOT know what the Tomato is or that you have traded for and not tried in the Round-Robin. You should only include seeds that you have personally saved or purchased.

Seed packets must have your DG name printed on the envelope, even if you bought the seeds.

Upon arrival, the round robin will contain the following besides the seeds:

1. These Rules.

2. Self-Addressed Mailing Labels in Numerical Order of Delivery.

3. A list of the robin’s path. (flight plan)

4. Inventory Sheets that you should complete before you mail the robin to the next participant.

Hopefully There Will be...Lots of Wonderful Tomato Seed Varieties for everyone to Exchange and try this Spring.

Here are the Rules
1- When you receive the Robin please post to this thread that it has arrived at your location.

2- The Round-Robin should be Kept 3 Days or Less and Then Mailed on to the Next Participant.

(This is to Keep the Round-Robin Moving on to at Least 1(One) Person Each Week, if we're lucky 2. The Round-Robin Will be Traveling from Warmer Zones(South) to Cooler Zones(North) so everyone Will be Able to Plant Their Seeds in Time.

3- Please Make Sure Your Seed Packets are Sealed so that there can be No Tampering or loss of seed to any seed packet.

Do Not Remove Seeds from Any Seed Packet in this Round-Robin.

(If You Want to Try Any Individual Tomato Seed Packet...You Must Replace the Entire Seed Packet with Another of Your Own)

4. The Tomato Seed Round-Robin Can be Sent 'First Class' or 'Priority Mail' NOT PARCEL POST

5. The Tomato Seed Round-Robin is required to have a delivery confirmation added to the package.
The Cost is 60-cents(Currently in the US).

6. Complete the inventory sheet included, and put everything back into the package, including the seeds you have added.

7. When You Have Mailed the Round-Robin Package...Please Post the Date of Your Mailing Along with the Delivery Confirmation Number.

REMEMBER: EVEN IF YOU USE PRIORITY MAIL, YOU MUST PURCHASE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. The online confirmation does not track the path of the package, it only tells when it was delivered at it’s destination.

Please...Try to Have Packets Made and Ready Before the Round-Robin Arrives.

To Join, Please Dmail me with

Name
Address
E-Mail Address
Zone or when you normally start seeds. This will determine your placement on the flight plan.

Please, post to the thread that you are joining, just in case I don’t get your dmail. You must do both, dmail me AND post on the thread.

Spread the news, I think this will be fun, and I personally can’t wait to get started! I’m in finals this week, and working on a couple of papers and projects. I will update the thread daily with the participants. Please be patient if I don’t immediately return your dmail or if I don’t post back with an answer to a question right away, I will answer all as quickly as I can.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2007 12:31 AM

Participants and Flight Plan

Robin is enroute to DannL 0307 0020 0002 2054 4074

DannL
en route to sanpedro 0307 0020 0000 8937 6519
sanpedro
enroute to essentialplanet 0307 0020 0000 2917 7541

essentialplanet
enroute to zz 0304 1560 0005 4513 8593

ZZTOPSOIL
enroute to pupil 0103 8555 7491 6945 5847

pupilpropogtr
enroute to ozark 0307 1790 0001 4062 7320

ozark
enroute to defoe

defoecat
enroute to Gary 0305 0830 0000 6386 3869

VGMKY
enroute to sequee0305 0830 0000 6386 3876

sequee
enroute to Cyndie

arrived with Cyndie!
Cyndiehook
arrived with Critter
Critterologist
Arrived with cmoxon
cmoxon
arrived with TLC
TwinLakesChef

enroute to Melissa
Melissa_ohio

I am starting the robin with the following varieties (88 in total)

Abe Lincoln
Allicante
Amana Orange
amish paste
Amy's Sugar Gem
Ananas Noir
Azoychka
Beauty King
Berkley Tie Die
Black Cherry
Black from Tula
Black Krim
Black Prince
Box Car Willie
Brad's Black Heart
Bulgarian #7
Carbon
Carmello
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Red
Cream Sausage
Dad's Sunset
Durzba
Eva Purple Ball
Evans Purple Pear
Evergreen
Ferris Wheel
Gary O'Sena
Giant Belgium
Giant Syrian
Great White
Green Sausage
Green Zebra
Haley's Purple Comet
Hezou
Isis Candy
Italian Sweet
Japanese black Trieffle
Manitoba
Marizol gold
Millionaire
Missouri Love Apple
Mr. Brown
Mrs. Houseworth
Mule Team
Napoli
Old Brooks
Old German Pink
Omar's Lebanese
Orange Bananna
Oregon Spring
Ox Heart
Paul Robeson
Pineapple
Pink Climber
Pink Thai Egg
Plum Lemon
Ponderosa Red
Pork Chop
Porter
Principe Borghese
Prudens Purple
Purple Hillbilly
Purple Smudge
Red Rose
Red Zebra
Rose
Rouge D Irak
Russian Bogatyr
San Marzano
Sheyenne
Soldaki
Southern Nights
Speckled Peach
St. Pierre
Siletz
Striped German
Stump of the World
Stupice
Sunray
Thessaloniki
Tobolsk
Valiant
Weeping Charley
White Queen
Wins All

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 11:23 AM

This message was edited Jan 3, 2008 3:15 PM

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 11:44 PM

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 3:12 PM

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 1:04 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 11:24 AM

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 9:48 PM

This message was edited Feb 14, 2008 9:54 PM

This message was edited Mar 6, 2008 2:22 PM

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Melissa, You have Dmail. I would like to sign up. Cyndie

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Signing up

Melissa,Count me in. You'll have Dmail when I post this. :-)
~Susan

edited to withdraw

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 10:28 AM

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

That sounds like fun, count me in.

D-mail sent.

- Sam

Louisville, KY

Melissa, Looks like you have done a great job putting this thing together! VERY Good!
I would love to participate in this exchange; it has been sometime since I have shared in one of these! What better way to dispel the gray days of winter than to be thinking about springtime and tomatoes and sharing seed you have grown with others! Bring it on!!!!
Gary

Espanola, NM(Zone 6b)

Melissa, looks like I'm in as well - those seeds are headed off on a great adventure! I'll enjoy following their path.

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Please count me in!
D-mail has been sent.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

I would like to join. D-Mail sent.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

I don't know if it's OK to state special wishes, but if it is I would SO like to try some Aunt Gertie's Gold...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Count me in, Melissa! I always enjoy the seeds we trade, so this should be special fun!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the heads up, Melissa, and for counting me in!

Is there a limit on how old seeds can be? I don't think I saw that above, but maybe I missed it. I know tomato seeds stay viable for several years with proper storage, but I figured you might want to put an upper limit on it...

Thanks so much for doing this!!

Darn I thought I had everything covered! Thanks Jill.
I think what, a 5 year limit?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yikes - that seems a tad long; I'd have said maybe 3? But as long as they are labeled, I guess everyone can choose for himself how "old" he/she wishes to go.

Can we have the seed packets labeled as to "saved" or "commerical"? It makes a big difference to me.

Already there sequee. :) #6 on what to put on packets. I guess technically the age of the seed was already there too, (#5) just put a limit on it. I seriously doubt if anyone is going to put any old seeds in anyway, but it's good to cover bases. :)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ya neva know. I traded with someone who sent me seeds from 1992! I was a little less than thrilled...

And shame on you anyway. I had soooo much to do this evening, but instead, I've been playing with my seeds...grrrr! Will I never change?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Okay, Okay, I'm in! I don't know how many tomato plants I'll have this year because I'm soooooo busy with full time work and part time school, but I will doubtless plant a few. And in any case, tomato seeds store well, so please add me to the list. The ZZtopsoil one was so much fun, I can't resist! I will dmail you my details. Thanks!

LOL I've been playing with seeds too while watching survivor. I should have been finishing school stuff, but my brain was tired. :)

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Sequee,

When you say: Can we have the seed packets labeled as to "saved" or "commerical"? It makes a big difference to me.

Which do you prefer. Just curious.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

"Can we have the seed packets labeled as to "saved" or "commerical"? It makes a big difference to me.

Which do you prefer. Just curious."
-------------------------------

It's late and Sequee's probably gone to bed, so I'll take a guess.

Commercial seed growers must take precautions against cross-pollination, and many gardeners (like myself) don't.

So from what I've read, there's about a 5% chance that self-saved seeds might be crossed with another tomato variety - and hardly any chance of that at all with commercial seeds.

That's the theory anyway. But then I think of the pack of commercial cantaloupe seeds I planted this year and had FIVE different kinds of melons grow from it! But they were all good. LOL

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Is there still room? I would love to join. I will send a D-mail.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Ozark - that makes sense.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

That would certainly explain when something grows out and isn't true. Great idea! (as long as they taste good, I wouldn't be disappointed)

Well, as soon as a couple more people join, I think that we can close this and make it "fly" :)

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't want to sidetrack this Round Robin thread, but I've got a question.

Where do you folks get those little brown coin envelopes to send seeds in?

I've looked at WalMart and a couple of Dollar stores, thinking they would have a package of 100 or so envelopes. They don't carry them at all. I finally found them at Office Depot, but only in a box of 500 or 1000 for $17.95. That's more than I wanted, and more than I wanted to pay. Thanks.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

On the last tomato seed round robin, I made my own little envelopes. I just cut 8.5 x 11 paper into half, put seeds in the middle, folded in half, then folded the edges in about 1/2 an inch or so all the way around, and taped them. I then folded over the top and taped it. I wrote the info on the packets. A lot of people did that.

When I used to collect stamps, the stamp collecting place had little tiny plastic ziploc type baggies. They had them in packets of 50 or 100. If you live near a place like a hobby lobby or something like that, they might have those. I think even Ziploc makes a small size baggie, they call it a snack size or something. It's smaller than a sandwich baggie. You could use those and write the details on a piece of paper and stick that in the baggie. As I recall, people used small baggies in the last one too, because i still have a couple that I had taken out of that RR. Just make sure they are properly sealed.

Claire

Ozark,

I put the seeds in a small ziplock bag, 2"x4", and then put that into a home-made paper seed packet with all of the info printed on it. Found the little bags in the crafts section at Wal-Mart.

Dan

I bit the bullet and bought the coin envelopes this summer, because for me they are easier to handle than the zip locks. I have so much static that everything ends up sticking to me when I try to put seeds in the little ziplocks, and I end up very frustrated. (and Dan is right, walmart sells 100 for a dollar or two in the crafts department)

I ended up having to tape the coin envelopes, and that was a little frustrating too, but not as bad as having seeds sticking to me when I wanted them in the baggie. :)

If you go to DG extras, you can print out a template for seed packets... they work pretty well, or do what Claire did, I've done that before too.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the ideas. I've received seeds from about 3 people on the Forum, and they've all used the brown coin envelopes - so I figured that was kinda required. I'm glad to know it's OK to be creative.

I've got white "security envelopes" for mailing, they're about 3 1/2" x 6", and that's what I've used to send out tomato seeds so far. I just seal them, shake the seeds down to one end, fold in half, and Scotch tape the edges. Now that I know the coin envelopes aren't expected, that's what I'll keep on doing.

Hey all, ZZTOPSOIL is awaiting his mailed in subscription renewal to be processed, he dmailed me, and is going to be joining us in this robin. I'm waiting to fill the last slot, if no one else steps up in a couple of days, I'm going to plan on getting this thing in the air. :)

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Melissa, Count me in. I have many seeds that I grew for Gary in Louisville, but have extras.

All that makes 15.

I'll leave this open to see if another 15 show interest, but the first one is ready to go....

does anyone know which is warmer? A or B in the climate zones?

B is the warmer part.

Thanks Dan!

Your welcome. :o)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And just a little FYI, mine says 6b, but since living here I've learned that I'm on what's known as the Snow Belt, and this little strip is actually a 6a. Don't know that there's any big deal about it, except when it comes to mid-winter when then towns on all 4 sides have 2" of snow and we have 6"! (I must confess, I'm happy enough about that! Many years of living in southern CA and FL made me really appreciate the 4 season, and all I can say is: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Ya got to be kidding Janice.. (yes, I'm lurking around here..) The half foot of snow I didn't mind but I could have lived without the 4-5 inches of sleet.. And you're right, my in-laws just 10 minutes away got 2-3 inches of snow and no sleet.. Like I said, snow ain't bad but sleet... Unfortunately, being in the "snow belt" you get both.. Poo. Since, I'm yapping anyways.. Might as well say hello to Arlene and Jill.. :)

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Hey lcosden! How are you getting along these days? I know this is OT, but I have to say Hello! Cyndie

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Cyndie, didn't notice that you were here too.. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.