somewhere, PA

I got this lovely spreading primula from Norm Deno,
of seed germination fame. P. Kisoana

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

A stand of primula japonica

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Anyone else want to walk along the path with me?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Lovely photos, Tammy! I love that stand of P. japonica. I'm a sucker for candelabra-types, but they're not entirely happy here.
I'd be delighted to join in!
Here's my earliest - P. marginata, in a trough (photo taken on April 27/06):
(Another one, in the ground, and in a shadier spot, blooms later. Draba rigida is gearing up to bloom in the background of this shot.)

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 5:56 PM

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

P. elatior is one of my absolute favorites (shown below)! About P. veris - another favorite of mine - I long lusted after the red version, that you have pictured, and finally managed to buy one (and also started them from seed) last year.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 6:05 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Shocking color! Primula 'Jay Jay':

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Primula polyneura, a good one for this area, and easy from seed:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Another shockingly pink one, P. rosea. This one is interesting in that it's blooming before the leaves have even started emerging from the ground. (Equally shocking in this photo is the hideous soil they're growing in. I've since disguised it with some mulch, so at least it doesn't look quite so bad.)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Primula 'Garryarde Guinevere' (high potential for a misspelling, there). Interesting purple-tinged foliage.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Primula rusbyi, a native to the highlands of SW New Mexico, SE Arizona and southwards through to Guatemala (the only Central American primrose). Does nicely here, presumably since (one assumes) it's adapted to drier conditions.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

An unfortunately really bad picture of a Primula sieboldii - I'm sure many folks out there have much better pictures, and I'd love to see them! This is the only summer-dormant species I'm growing.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 6:40 PM

somewhere, PA

ooooo.. do you save seeds? They are just glorious.

Is this another veris? I lost its label.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

P. Juliana

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Here's that same stand of P. Japonica but this year. They love the
wet soil by my spring & pond.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Here's another group of P. Japonica

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

As you can see by the label I'm holding in the
picture this is P. Frondosa. That was the only
year it came back. 2005

Thumbnail by Tammy
Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Really outstanding Tammy and alta, I'm a huge fan of primroses. I love the P. marginata, alta and the one in the first photo, Tammy. I love all the photos you share!-Kath

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Tammy,
Oh, to have a spring and a pond - I'm deeply envious! (Ample moisture is exactly what we lack here.) The plants look utterly content in that setting, especially - just fabulous!
I haven't tried collecting seed to date... I admit to being somewhat baffled by that whole "pins and thrums" thing with primroses, LOL!... Could try it next year, though. Strangely enough, I think P. denticulata is the only one that's ever self-seeded for me.
Yes, that does look like a P. veris... to my inexpert eye, anyway. Very unusual color - looks like a cherry red on my monitor. Wow, your P. 'Juliana' is another traffic-stopper! P. frondosa is stunning - too bad it was short-lived there; must try it if I ever come across it here.
I planted a mess of P. marginata, juliae, allionii, elatior, and P.pubescens hybrids last year - maybe next spring, they will have gotten big enough to put on a show.
Thanks for the comments, Kathy!
Just for variety, another color of P. denticulata

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Another trough-dweller, P. farinosa; as the flowers mature, the flower stalks extend to about 2" above the basal rosette:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A 'Gold-laced' variety, starting to bloom:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A P. alpicola - a fragrant, summer-blooming species. Poor thing looks like it needs a drink, though! Thus species is very reliable here (in my experience, anyway) in what are probably marginal conditions for it - surprising, since in prime habitats (British Isles, for example), they get a great deal taller, apparently.

somewhere, PA

Your primula's are just so beautifully grown! Do you water them often?
I couldn't grow any of them at my last house - they'd just melt away. Here
I have them competing with the grass is one spot (the japonica's). I'm
planning to remove the grass to extend the area for the primroses. :-)

(Zone 7a)

Thanks Tammy & Alta, I, too, am a huge fan of primroses like Kath and have a lot to learn about rock gardening - Those were gorgeous pics of flowers & gardens. Also, like Alta, we do not have a spring or natural pond on our wannabe primrose hill.

As I mentioned on Alta's other thread, Tammy's P. japonica seed germinated beautifully last spring from a March winter sowing, but had to be planted somewhere other than our shady hill as I had hoped - many to-dos still to do.

Nevertheless, I'll be wintersowing seed from the seed exchanges of the American Primrose Society* and NARGS** to my heart's content this winter. Can anyone recommend some companion plants for primroses for a four season, dry-ish shady hillside garden? We got through a 10" below normal year of precipitation with no losses - including azaleas on said hill - without watering.

Regarding the collection of primrose seed, I've heard of bagging the pods with pieces of panty hose and twist ties.

*http://www.americanprimrosesociety.org/index.html

**http://www.nargs.org/

To newbies like me, I think it might be too late to join the APS seed exchange, but it would still be a very good idea to see if it's possible to join NARGS for its seed exchange.

ps - Deno mentions in his book that no seed germinated of P. sieboldii that were sown 40-70-40 (means 40*F for 3 months, followed by 70*F for 3 months, followed by 40*F for three months - hope I have that right). However, my winter sown seed germinated fine that came from NARGS - how likely do you think it might be that this was mislabeled seed?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Tammy,
Yes, we generally do have to water a few times through the season. We only get, on average, 16" of precipitation here annually (compared to, apparently, something like 40" on average for Pennsylvania). Another difference in climate is that our summers are cool - we may get a week or 10 days of 30 degree Celsius (86 degrees F) in a summer, and not often much hotter or longer than that. People here start complaining about how hot it is when it hits 70 degrees F! So a lot of primroses suffer from inadequate moisture here, but at least they don't "melt away". For example, I killed many Primula viallii before finally admitting defeat - they are winter-hardy but one has to construct special conditions for them to provide enough moisture.

But... where there's a will, there's a way. This lady lives here (see her gardens, below) - fascinating website:
http://www.primulaworld.com/PWweb/personal.shtml

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Bluespiral,
I wouldn't conclude that your P. sieboldii was mislabelled just on that basis.
Deno's records (and who knows how many trials are represented here) also say 62% germinated in his test at 70D-40-70D... When seeds are wintersown outdoors, and go through various temperature fluctuations, is it really possible to pin down which of Deno's standardized treatments it most closely resembles? Anyway, your experience is another demonstration of the effectiveness of using "nature" (i.e. outdoor temperature fluctuation) to break seed dormancy. (And who can beat nature at this? LOL!)
Another thing I've noticed is that there are often a few "rogue" seeds in a batch that will germinate early... which suits me, as I generally only want 2 or 3 of any plant to try it out. By contrast, Deno's studies were aimed at determining the methods required to break dormancy for a statistically significant portion of the seed sample (or at least that's the way I interpret it).
Lori

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Lori, Thanks for the primrose link-what a great resource!-Kath

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Tammy, your frondosa is not the real thing. Frondosa is very similar to farinosa. Here is a pic of mine

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Where to start with my primula....I have quite a few, including most of the ones shown. A few 'others' include: P. capitata...blooms in August!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

P. luteola

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

P. cortusoides

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula hirsuta

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula villosa