Indian summer figs

Longboat Key, FL

This is just about the end of the season.

Here are the stragglers on my "BlacK (according to my neighbor who brought it over)"

(That's a penny.)

: )

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And the last gasp on the "Brown Turkey."

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Hope springs eternal.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

flyboy do the brown turkeys taste sweet? what type would you recomend. do you have your figs in a pot or in the ground. someone told me to keep them in a pot because of nematodes. figs are on my list for this year. thanks in advance for any info

Longboat Key, FL

candela~

I have four producers.

The best one came from a Greek neighbor, who brought it over in his luggage. He calls it "White." He also gave me another. He calls that "Black." I also have two store-bought: a Brown Turkey and a Green Ischia. They are all sweet. The longer on the vine (in the ground, by the way), the sweeter they get.

The photo is the "White." The black and white started as cutttings.

It's a race between me and the squirrels. So far I've caught almost as many of them as the figs I have lost.

Good Luck

:)

Longboat Key, FL

It is certainly not Indian Summer -- but I picked these this morning.

Are they last year's stragglers -- or next year's Brebas?

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think they are new year crop because of the size. And I agree - figs should be planted in-ground. They say Celeste is the sweetest fig, but I prefer the Brown Turkey (named for the country, not the bird).

Longboat Key, FL

These came from my "Black." That's the name the neighbor who gave me the cutting, called it.

I have a couple of Celestes, one in NJ and one down here. I still haven't tasted any, but some are are ripening right now. I'll let you know when I get to eat one.

My Brown Turkey is now a large plant, but hasn't produced much fruit. Maybe this year.

Be well

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Aboukounis Black (Greek)--Large, purple-black with dark red pulp. Two crops.
Kalamata Black (Greek)--Medium, black with dark-red pulp. Sweet. Two crops
Kalamata White (Greek)--Large, round, with dark-pink pulp. Main crop only.
Mykonos Black (Greek)--Large, peare-shaped, reddish to purple-black with strawberry pulp. Brebas only (San Pedro type). Synonym: Perkounis
Mykonos White (Greek)--Large with strawberry pulp. Two crops.
Chios White (Greek)--Large, white, pear-shaped. Strawberry pulp. Two crops
Corfu (Greek)--Large, white, pear-shaped with dark strawberry pulp. Two crops. Synonym: Speros
Crete (Greek)--Large, white, light strawberry pulp. Two crops. Synonym: Kronos

http://home.planters.net/~thegivans/ethnic.html

Longboat Key, FL

Wow!!!!

You grow all of them?

You must have an orchard. I am stuck on a 15,000 sf lot here in Florida, on the water -- and my DDW insists on some of the land pleasing to her.

Be well

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I think Brown Turkey is so popular because it grows really fast. When I moved to Wake Forest, NC, I had 5 different varieties -all about 1' tall- and the Brown Turkey grew bigger than all but one (Black Mission). I like the taste of Brown Turkey figs but not nearly as much as I love Black Mission, Celeste, LSU Gold. BTW, Black Mission is a CA fig and you have to protect it from our cold winters in NC. (BRRRR!, 23 deg last night)

Here is a pic of a main crop Black Mission. Brevas are a little bigger.

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Longboat Key, FL

You convinced me.

I am going to try to get a Black Mission. They are not available here in Florida.

Be well

:)

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I only have one tree, but I found that page that describes "black" and "white" Greek figs. I thought it might be useful to you.

Longboat Key, FL

Thanks.

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.