CG Forum STOKE'S SEED SWA-OP

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

He was all smiles the whole time so he looks to be a happy kid I was so glad, he spends a lot of time with his other grandmother and she's a huggy person I'm guessing that where he got the hugs from his mother isn't like that, I'm glad because I'm a 'huggy' person too! Nothing like hugging your grandchild no matter how old he is :-))))))) Now I can really say with a full heart I have a grandson!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's the best Christmas story I've heard this year. That's just so great, LeBug. You'll cherish memories of this Christmas forever.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes I will!!! :)

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi gardening friends :)

Received my Royal Flush too!!!! The best hand ever!!!!!! LeBug so glad you had a wonderful reunion with your grandson :) Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

I was thrilled to get such a wonderful package this morning (actually must of come in yesterday's mail but we had company all day...). Suzy you sure do have a marketing/advertising flair. Love all your selections and info. Great labels, paper colors & type styles too! You are the best ~ so glad to be part of your swaps :))))))

~Diana

Thumbnail by wind

THANK YOU!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Suzy-
Got my seeds yesterday! You are absolutely FABULOUS!!!! Thank you so much! Hugs, Rachel

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Suzy you ROCK. And the rest of you as well. I am so glad I've gotten to know all of you. Thank you!

(Suzy I had no additonal insert in my envie. Was it pertaining to the sowing the burgandy geranium?)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

. . . . I am suffering from seed envy . . . . :-( no seeds have arrived yet.

Oh, well . . . I expect they will arrive . . . eventually, and I will be soooo happy.

Meanwhile, I have decided to be happy for all of you who have received your seeds :-)

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Suzy! Gang, she knows I got my seeds - as she dropped them off last night by my door!! My sister and I immediately started plotting and planning on who gets which seeds to start and where they're going - thanks!! What fun!!!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Yay! I'm glad everybody got them,,,except Michaela. Hmmm, I thought I remembered you were one of the first ones to get the swap seeds. I remember looking to see where you lived, and why the mail delivery to Springfield MA would be so fast from Indianapolis.

So, what did you (all) think of the selection? Will you be able to use most of them?

Suzy

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Suzy - it's at least 3 or 4 days until New Years - do you think we could do just a quick mini-swap before then?

>pagancat, running and ducking...< ....

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Love the selection and will definitely use them. But ... I really *MUST* sit and draw up a design so that I can be organized with my sown seeds.

EEK, I do hope that Seandor's seeds simply took the scenic route and will get there within the next couple of days!!!

pagancat you're so funny!!!!!

The selection is great....actually I'm really not even done sorting thru your first swap seeds!!! I've been enjoying looking up this recent batch to see what they look like. I found this on PETUNIAS; has a photo of the Petunia Supercascade Lilac (which is really pretty) and seeding tips:
http://www.slugsandsalal.com/plantdb/flowers/petunia.html

I have issues with weeny petunia seeds though...but they say it is really easy! I tried white Petunia supercascade hybrid grandiflora seed last yr and got about 4 plants out of a whole pkt :) ended up buying some too.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I have different results everytime I grow petunias, sometimes I think every seed has sprouted and sometimes just 3 or four, never know what I will end up with lol

I need a source for some yellow petunias for my neighbor does anyone know where I can get some she doesn't like the light yellow ones she wants bright yellow ones but I've never seen any.

Suzy I'll plant every one of mine I'm really happy with the selection, I have one I need to look up today to see what it is been a little busy but have plenty of time today, and those geraniums really make me nervous lol I have a hard time growing them and these look so pretty any tips? I always put them on a heat mat but the germination isn't all that, is there something else I can do to help them along?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

To be honest I still have to look some of mine up. I recognize many of them, but am drawing a blank on others. I have no doubt that I will LOVE them all though. As soon as I get the Cristmas mess put to rights I am moving into gardeing mode (which is just the incentive I need to face all those boxes, ribbons, bulbs and lights).

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

We can't get out in the garden here it's either cold and raining or nice and raining the ground is way too wet soo worried about my new plantings for the spring! So many of them under the water in places that it's not used to water standing too! We're getting all of that rain that we didn't get in the summer.

Scottsburg, IN

I'm busily updating my spreadsheet and trying to figure out where these will go - in my yard or my sister's *grin*- this is so much fun!!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

ha! Sorry guys - that post from clip_clop is actually from me - I was on my sister's PC and didn't realize I was logged in as her and not as me!!
Robin

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Robin, your sister doesn't live that far from me and just noticed she just joined I'll have to shoot her a dmail :) Usually I watch for people around here must have just missed her.

I always write down where I want to plant the seeds I'm planting then when it comes down to it I just dig holes and put them in I have a friend on here that's going to help me with that for next year, I can't design my yard, I can't even do the house lol When I have 5 plantstands downstairs and all of the WS jugs full of plants I just want to get them in the ground and be done with it lol

I keep writing responses and then I need to do something else in the middle of it and walk away from the computer.

DD#1 moved out of her college apt yesterday, she stopped here to switch some furniture here in Indy, then was on her way up to Chicago. They left here last night about 8:00 p.m. LOL! I remember when I was that young, but I gotta tell you, after cleaning the remnants out of her apt, and cleaning it for the next person, I am about half dead. She still had to collect some furniture in South Bend and then unload it all in Chicago.

My dad was a cabinet maker (hobbyist) and made enough furniture for his three daughters to outfit their homes (get a good start), and when he died, there was enough stuff in his house for all his grandchildren! When he died, there were 7 dining room tables for example. The trouble is, it is all so dang HEAVY!

Lala J, I forgot the slips in everybodys envie except Critter's. Here's what they said:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4294127

Let's just say the geraniums need more heat than I realized.

The Petunias really are easy...I was astonished last year. They were a lot faster than I was lead to belive, although I don't think you'd ever call them "fast". Lea has been growing from seed for longer than I, and I put a lot of weight on her opinions. I was also wondering if Valueseed, for example, sold cruddy petunia seeds and the vendor might have something to do with the non germination. ?

Lea, I got 'Rapide Yellow' last year and they were dogs...a sickly pale, pale, PALE, greenish yellow. Basically, there are no yellow petunias yet.

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I kept my geraniums at 70 so I'll try the 75 this year and see what happens, maybe I just didn't have it up high enough, I forgot you had that posting about the geranium, oops lol

Yes pretty yellows aren't anywhere to be found, I always want to plant the ones I can't find!

You know they say T&M is really value seeds and I've never had any trouble with there seeds but maybe they are a little older when they offer them there I've never ordered petunias from them. I had really good germination with the pelleted seeds but you just don't see them that much anymore if you do they are too high for annuals. I can't remember who I ordered seeds from one year and I didn't write it down I've looked and almost every seed germinated, wish I could remember who it was but I'm pretty sure they were pelleted. They need to get on the ball and breed some more yellows!

I'm wanting some red impatiens too and haven't looked that hard yet but haven't seen any offered for just red.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL, I was just about to ask Clip_Clop how she came up with that name -- equestrienne, per chance?

Darn it, Le Bug, Why didn't you say somehting earlier on the Red Impatiens?!!!! That's what the Stokes order was all about....single color flower seed. I would have happily split a large pack with you.

DON'T get Scarlet Baby Impatiens. It's one you can find in packs at the store. It is leggy, rangy, and altogether looks terrible from July 31 to frost. I grew it last year and was very disappointed. (And I bought some at the garden center that did look great until frost, Accent, I think, so I know it's the Scarlet Baby, and not my culture.)

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

lol I just had too much going on for Christmas and wasn't thinking straight lol I have some nice red impatiens out front that reseed but didn't get any seed this year guess it was because of the drought even though I did water, water, water, I did manage to get seeds off of two flowers and that was it, I saw the tempo at Stokes, is that what you ordered? I'm pretty sure that's what I have out front and they are a beautiful dark red I just love them! I have had some reseed in a spot that has afternoon sun and do you know they grow there lol They droop a lot while they are in the sun but pop back when it goes to the other side of the house.

No, I didn't get them. I meant to, LOL! I had about 4 things I eiother forgot to buy or decided I couldn't face having my shopping cart empty yet again and decided to forget them.

I have some reseed, too. Something interesting: A church up here had Impatiens planted red and purple, every other one. I harvested all the purple, then in a separate envie, all the red. The seedlings of all were just a mix of reddish-purples of all colors. It was very pretty here, but I can say they must cross pollinate or at least not come completely true. I have no idea what kind they planted, but it was probably F1. I have some coral colors that do seem to come true that reseed in another spot. Not sure, of course since they throw so may seeds in Sept. (in a normal non-drought year). My Impatiens seeding was terrible this past year, tho.

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I had one flower of the ones that reseeded and it was a red and white I have no idea where that one came from perhaps from the birds, I hope it reseeds again this year lol There are some purple ones where my reds are too that reseed along with some funky pink ones that I don't like, I'm hoping to get pictures this year lol I'll let you know if these come back true if they germinate for me.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

yeah Wrightie - clip_clop is my sis, and she's been a horse person since I can remember (I'm older than she is) and gave her a DG membership for Christmas. When you do that, you either let the person sign up or do it for them. With her schedule (O.R. nurse, kids, horses, sheep,...) I knew she'd never do it, but would get on if I signed her up! So, I made up some goofy name. The nice thing is, DG gives her a "one time only" name change if she doesn't like my brain-cramp - LOL!

oooooooo-------red impatiens........don't start!!!!!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, send her on over to the Equine Forum! We'll take good care of her. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/horses/all/

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 3:28 PM

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin, I think clip_clop sounds good for someone into horses and wish I had known she liked horses I dmailed her and asked her what her favorite kind of flowers were lol So I'm guessing we won't be seeing her on this side? :)

I'm trying to get to the seed catalogs today without much luck and I really need seeds!!!! I wish I just had a penny for every seed that I do have I'd be right up there with Martha Stewart lol

Yes, I LOVE clip clop!!!

Lea, Do you htink if I invited newbies to our big seed swap and had them send in 10c for each pack they wanted that Dave would get mad? We could spread the proceeds around and buy new ones from the catalogs! Park's came today and I only want 7 or 8 packs :))

Geez, maybe I could charge everybody 10c == wouldn't that be fun?

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I think we better stick to swaps, 'cause there are the classified ads if we want to sell stuff. :-)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Suzy you are a trip if it works I have some from Park's that I want lol

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

How's their poppy selection? {:>)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Do you mean at Park's, I'm not sure of their poppies I try and not look at them I don't have any luck sowing them for some reason the birds probably scoop the seeds up before they have a chance to germinate.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yep, Park's. I haven't received their catalog yet (not that I need any more seeds anway!).

Mine was in today's mail....darnit! LOL! The postage for seeds is only $2.95 for under $10-.00 order and $3.95 for 10-20.00 I think.

I never had much luck with poppies, either, LeBug....Last year I sowed themon a windy day (to get broad dispersal) right before a snow. Not only were they spaced out so I didn't have to thin them, but also, the smow stuck around long enough so the birds either didn't see them, or they sunk down in the mud...not sure.

Bluespiral posted something where she said she couldn't grow a certain species of them, and I think I didn't have luck with those either.. The Shirley poppies are the ones I can get to grow & bloom; luckliy, they are slao the ones I love the best.

Yeah, 10c a pack sounds cheap, but would be sort of high on a 100 packs.

Suzy

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Don't worry LeBug - she's a big time gardener too!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Someone sent me a bunch of lavendar poppie seeds last year I mean about 1/4 of a sandwich bag and I put them out with my daylilies and not one came up I really wanted those!

I got a new Park's catalog this weekend I forgot all about it I'll have to check it out tonite shipping doesn't sound bad at all.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

lol I'm glad :)

I need to go fix dinner, need to go check that Park's catalog out too maybe I can find some subs for all of those T&M seeds I want lol I need to quit seed catalogs altogether and just stick with it here lol But that ain't gonna happen lol

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LeBug, what time of year did you spread those poppy seeds? Many of them generally prefer cold weather to germinate, so I wonder if it was too warm at the time?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.