CG Forum STOKE'S SEED SWA-OP

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/796522/

Stokes Swa-op

Not a Swap, Not a Coop, It's BOTH, and for $12.00, you can get a stake in it!

Deadline for personal orders and wishlists is Thursday night at 11:59 because they are selling out fast.

Go through Stokes seed catalog or website www.stokeseeds.com and pick out 3 or 4 varieties flower/ornamental seeds that you'd like to have if you didn't have to pay the per-pack price and the $6.50 minimum shipping and handling.

We aren't doing veggies and we're keeping foliage plants and herbs to a minimum. (But we will no doubt be getting one or some of each)

Post the name, price and verbal description, and include the item number. You can post what you think is so great about this plant, a photo, a link to a photo, or anything you want. (It's just a few people following the thread, so it can be quite conversational and no one will mind)

You may choose anything -- annuals, perennials, biennials. A certain kind or color of Petunia, or Electric Blue Penstemon, or biennials such as Bellis English Daisy 'Habanera Red with White Tips'.

One thing we will definitely be buying is between 6-10 seeds for each person of the Ivy Leaf Geranium in BURGUNDY. This takes up a chunk of money, as does the outbound postage to you. We might be able to buy one more expensive thing, but Bacopa Blutopia, at $139.00 for the smallest package of seeds, is out of the question.

The things we don't want are the gigantic things like Hibiscus where 50 or 100 plants would take up an acre. Or mixed Marigolds or Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' or other things that show up in our very own swap. I shall cull those out, so don't worry if you see them on someone's list, ok? (If your idea is culled, I will probably have some seed for you of the item you requested.)

Everybody goes through the catalog, or website, and either posts or dmails me with the 4 things they would order and I will look the lists over, and tally them all up and see where we are on money. I already know we can't afford to get all of your choices, and it will be whittled down, but I am expecting some people to actually want the same things, so I believe it will all work out. Please, be watching this thread, and also logging on to read your dmail, especially after the choices are in and the selections are starting. I might have questions.

I might be ordering the next size up for the single package, or even the one up from that if it's cheap enough and if I feel the plant would be popular. If there is money left over, I would add some thing(s) that are splittable, and then place the order with Stokes. I am spending ALL the money on seeds, and only reserving $1.90 (75c for delivery confrimation, and $1.15 back to you for postage) . The delivery confirmation might go by the wayside, I'm not sure, and 30c paypal might be introduced. I'll work it out here.

When they come, I would split all the packs 15 ways and mail them out to you. I will use my own plastic seed envies, and also my own little bubble envies (the small ones from the CG Swap LOL) and the whole thing could be paid for with Paypal or by sending me a check using just a regular envie. I would need people to be sort of agreeable in their general nature and have generally sunny dispositions, because if I get 1,400 seeds in a $9.00/ pack, I am not counting out 93.33 seeds for each person! It will be close, very close, and I do have a scale if it would work for this kind of operation. Not sure. (Note: I checked & my scale doesn't even come close to being able to distinguish between amounts on little seeds...I think I need a drug dealer's scale for that!) The one thing I will promise you is that I will take pot luck on the seed packs like everybody else, and I will not pad one with a "few" extra seeds for myself.

CAVEATS : If you only have a blue & pink garden, then you might not be happy with this swap because any one of the 15 people might order brown and orange or something. If $12.00 sounds like a whole lot of money, you also might not be happy. BUT for somebody who would like to get a nice little Christmas package for themselves, a Stocking Stuffer if you will, it would be sort of fun, and Stokes carries a lot of single colors of annuals and perennials, so it is stuff you can't pick up just anywhere. UPDATE: Christmas delivery is out of the question, but they'll be to you by MLK Day.

I am a little hesitant to suggest it, but if you would give special consideration to the F1 hybrids, you would really be getting your money's worth. Keep in mind the resultant seeds those plants throw might not be as good as other ones (for swapping next year). Some are, and some aren't. I guess you just have to think about it.

SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY: Because of the free shipping on orders over $55.00, we are getting a little bit of a deal, and if you'd like to add on some packs of seeds for your personal use unrelated to the Sw-op, I am happy to flip them in your envie. You might want to be aware that my curly tail and cloven hooves might make it impossible for me not to want to sniff in the seed packages with my piggy nose and come away with some seeds -- not more than 10% -- as an opportunity cost. ON THE OTHER HAND, I WILL BE BUYING SOME SEEDS, TOO, FOR MYSELF, AND I'LL SLIP SOME OF MINE INTO YOUR ENVIE. I'm not really going to rip you off.

MONEY: As it looks right now, most people will be adding seed packs for themselves. If 2 people order the same thing, and the money works out, I'll just order a bigger size without telling you (because it's takes so much time, not because I don't want you to know LOL!). I can split those packs for you. HOWEVER, I can see this getting out of hand and deals being made back and forth, and for those, I probably won't have time to split the packs for you and you'll have to decide where they go and how you're paying for them.

To confound things further, it is probable that there will be things on your list of 4 that you'd like to have that we *don't* get as a group, but that you would still like to have. When the list gets firmer, I'll let you know, and you can decide whether to add the pack on for yourself, or just forget it. THAT'S when you need to be available by reading your dmail and THAT'S when you'll get the dollar total to send to me.

If you just want to play, it's $12.00, and that won't change. It's only when you add seeds for yourself that the questions come in.

If you don't care, and potluck is fine, just let me know dmail and I'll mark it down on a list I am making.

Ho ho ho! This will be fun!

Suzy

and then this was added:,/i>
I look at it this way -- on a round robin swap you get everybody's leftovers -- Rudbeckia fulgida, Hollyhocks, Four O'Clocks and have to pay $4.95 plus 75c del confirmation to get rid of it to the next person. If you're lucky, you get 5 packs of seeds you maybe sorta wanted.

For 2x that money, you can get cool, named things and a lot of seed that you know will germinate and come true.

My kids will both be home after Christmas and I think I can con them into doing some dividing with me as we chat about the things they're doing at school that I don't want to hear about. LOL!

Maybe a Martin Luther King, Jr. delievery would be more likey, tho.

We already have 11 or 12 people signed up and they are thinking about their choices. There is room for 3 or 4 more if you're interested.

1. Illoquin
2. Soulgardenlove
3. Wrightie
4. Bluespiral
5. Grampapa
6. Rachierabbit
7. Dryad
8. Seandor
9. Roses R Red
10. Wind
11. Bloomheaven
12. Cat64129
13. Lala_Jane
14. LeBug

The photo is 'Dragonwing Red' Begonia. There are 7 plants in that planter and they are all dead now from the cold, but I could have brough them inside for the winter. They are SLOW and TINY from seed, but easy and they grow really fast once they get about 4 months old.

Suzy

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 10:28 AM

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 10:50 AM

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 12:39 PM

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Reserved spot

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Suzy what??!! You don't have a drug dealers scale?? What kind of gardener are you?? I've had images of my snatched seeds in a drive through paper bag being dumped out on the hood of my car for inspection.. ha...ha...

YOU ARE SO FUNNY Suzy~~~~!!!! "Opportunity Cost"!! :) I Love your honesty and of course by all means want you to have my 10% for it!!!

:)

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Suzy, I found dragon wing begonias can be taken in as cuttings (if you don't feel like lugging in the whole pot) and over winter beautifully. I did that last season ~ this year I put a few of the cuttings in dirt and I've been enjoying them. The blossoms glitter in the sun :)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Must... resist... must....

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

seed rehab maybe?? and just think.. you probably have more land than all of us put together and all that free manure and your going to hold out... hmmm.. I think you should be all in pagan..

Southern, United States

Ok, I'll start. Here's my list from the other thread...

1487A Uproar Rose Zinnia (Annual) - F1 hybrid - $3.25 Deep rose double blooms on plants that reach a garden height of 28-36 inches, with a width of 24-27 in. Loves heat.
1740A Benary's Pacific Giants Black Knight Delphinium (First Year Blooming Perennial) - $3.25 Latin Name: Delphinium elatum 5 ft. plants with deep violet flower spikes bloom the first year from a December greenhouse sowing. Good for cutting, grow in partial shade or full sun.
857H Pacific Astolat Delphinium (Perennial) $1.95 Latin Name: D. elatum Pale pink, rose, rosy lilac, and raspberry rose with dark bee. Standard tall (4 ft.) strain for cutting and plant sales. Should be grown in well drained sandy soil. As plants mature, they should be staked to protect the heavy flower spikes during windy weather. 10,000 - 13,0000 seeds per oz./28 g.
1407B Giant Cactus White Zinnia (Annual) $1.95 Latin Name: Z. elegans (20 in.). Blooms are often 6 in. in diameter.

Other options would be Zinnias: Benary's Giant Crimson, Benary's Bright Pink, Benary's Giant Lime, Any of the Giant Cactus colors (esp. orange,pink) and the Liliput Mix or Whirligig Mix

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 9:41 AM

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

You know you want to join us Pagan!!!!! :o) Are you feeling the plant addict pressure?

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I am such a sucker for flowers :o) Here are a few favorites from the Stokes website. Rachel

898 Figaro Original Mixture Detailed Growing Instructions
Latin Name: D.xhybrida
(14 in./36 cm). Standard semi double mixture for bedding plant sales. Large 2 1/2 in./6 cm blooms, bushy uniform plants with dark green leaves. A nice blend of colors. Packet contains 25 seeds.

1146C Joker Poker Face
Alt. Name: Happy Flower
Latin Name: Viola x. wittrockiana
Replaces Jolly Joker. Same dark orange petals/purple cap with black face. Packet contains 50 seeds.

1146 Joker Light Blue
Tricolor face - light blue/ white halo/dark blue face, yellow eye. Packet contains 50 seeds.

934 Mrs Bradshaw Improved
Latin Name: Geumchiloense (G. hybridium)
(2 ft./61 cm). Brilliant scarlet double flowers, twice the size of the old strain. Pkt contains 75 seeds.

1261 Pacific Hybrid Giants Mix
Latin Name: Primula polyantha
(10 in./25 cm). The standard outdoor Polyantha type. Plants survive sub zero winters and summer heat better than most of the other strains. Extra large 3 in./8 cm blooms on short stiff stems. Blooms 15 days later than Dania.

1742H Penny Peach Jump Up
Latin Name: Viola cornuta
F1 hybrid – Peach flowers with violet upper petals flowers on mounded 4-6 in/10-15 cm plants that tolerate frost. For mixed containers

1487A Uproar Rose
Latin Name: Zinnia elegans
F1 hybrid - Deep rose double blooms on plants that reach a garden height of 28-36 in/70-90 cm, with a width of 24-27 in/60-68 cm. Loves heat

1374B Blackjack
Alt. Name: Johnny Jump-Up
Pure black.

1742B Penny Orange Jump Up
Alt. Name: Johnny Jump Up
F1 hybrid - Orange flowers with burgundy upper petals on mounded 4-6 in/10-15 cm plants that tolerate frost. For mixed containers

1162X Purple Pirouette
Latin Name: P. x Hybrida
Pkt contains 50 seeds. Violet purple/ white edge. Popular for containers, pots or more formal bedding. Allow 11-13 weeks from seed to flower in paks or 14 weeks for pots. Most plants are 12 in./31 cm, blooms fully double 3 1/2 in./9 cm.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 8:50 AM

Thanks!

I have a somewhat embarrassing thing just happen -- I went to the Stoke's website and saw the Burgundy Ivy Geranium. Remember me saying how gorgeous it was? The one I saw at the garden center was closer to Ivy Leaf Geranium ROSE, not BURGUNDY. The Burgundy picture on the website looks purple, and there is no photo in the catalog.

Now I am not sure what to do....stay with Burgundy or go to Rose? It needs to be started in Jan to get to "garden center size" early enough. And perhaps now would be a good time to ask who wants it? And of the people who want it, which color would you prefer? It's also possible to ask the reverse question: who doesn't want it? It's also possible to phrase it another way -- is there anybody who would take it one color but not the other. LOL! Just kidding.

--- here's a bunch of blah blah blah, but it's how I think: Bluespiral and I have a 20 seed pack split of these geraniums -- whatever color they turn out to be. But I know other people want it and we are both flexible on how many seeds we get. The next size saves 10c a seed and is 50 seeds. After that, it's 100 seeds. I need 13 seeds minimum for myself, but I'd like 7-10 more, especially if it's at the 50 or 100 price.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

The Primal Addict in me has struck again. I've not even read the entire thread, but as the participant slots are dwindling I need, need, need to get my name thrown into the hat.

OK, now having said that I'll go back and read. :-P

Edited to ask may I join?

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 7:06 AM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - not many people necessarily want the same thing as me - and some of the stuff is pricey for just a few seeds, so I will special order those things.

And I will suggest we order these - there will be lots to share :-)

454Q Montego Violet dwarf purple snapdragon (definitely different!)
Latin Name: A. majus
(8 in./20 cm) A formula F1 Hybrid mix of uniform blooming colors that flower about 5-7 days earlier than other dwarf snaps. Base branching, sturdy plants provide excellent garden performance during hot weather conditions. get the package of 500 hundred seeds

.1102D Fantasy Pink Morn Mini
The FANTASY Series (10 in./25 cm) represents a new class of miniature flowered petunias - "Milliflora". This is the earliest blooming petunia of any class! Unique, miniature 1 - 1 1/4 in./2.5 - 3 cm blooms. Fantasy Pink Morn is an All America Award Winner. package of 500 seeds.

1252J Supercascade Lilac
Super sized 4 3/4 in./12 cm blooms, specially designed for containers or hanging baskets. The Supercascades are a vast improvement on the original Cascade type. Plants are 3 days earlier and are more suitable for hanging baskets or outdoor bedding. Pellets available $2.25 USD/Pkt Since two of us want this, Suzy can order a package of 500 for all of us to share!

Cheers,
Michaela - who is on her last day of exams and marking, Hurray!

This might make Suzy's job a bit easier.

my vote is for the BURGUNDY :) burgundy's do tend to be deep "purple"/wine tones......having said that I can surely find a spot for any color however

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Suzy, I like both colors of the geraniums. And I think they would look great together. So if enough people want them and it's possible, how about getting both? then everybody would be happy. just a suggestion. I would take either or a mix of both.

here's my list from earlier (in priority order):

Bergenia cordifolia (748), Alt. Name: Saxifrage
Latin Name: Bergenia cordifolia
(15 in./38 cm). Easily grown evergreen creeper has clusters of reddish pendula flowers that bloom in the spring. Perennial. For zones 4-9

478 Pulsatilla Dwarf
Alt. Name: Windflower
Latin Name: A. pulsatilla (Pulsatilla vulgaris)
(8 in./20 cm). Early spring dwarf star shape, violet rock garden flowers with yellow centers. Blooms in 6-7 months. Likes partial shade, well drained soil. Perennial zones 3-8. Packet contains 25 seeds. (Cleaned Seed).

Dianthus 880 Ballad Blend (D. plumarius - 12 in. Fully double. Blooms are large, lightly laciniated in a full color range. All have darker centers. Pkt contains 100 seeds. 1.95

991 St. John's wort
Alt. Name: Rose of Sharon
Latin Name: Hypericum calycinum
Hypericum - Rose of Sharon(12 in./30 cm). Dwarf ground cover with evergreen type foliage and small single, yellow, blooms. Flowers May/June.

Hardy phlox 1225 New Hybrids Mixed
Latin Name: Phlox paniculata
(20 in./51 cm). Our seed is saved from many named varieties. Color range includes salmon, scarlet, white, pink with white eye and lavender.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have to say I would be very happy to share in any of these seeds! :-)

I emailed stokes about their price on the bacopa seeds, just to verify, seems so $$$. I personally tried the white bacopa and didn't care for it, was gorgeous at first then the blooms just petered out to nothing. But, I have a renewed liking for it after I saw a DG post of an absolutely stunning butterfly that apparently loves bacopa. Seems like its habitat is in Florida :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/796080/

Stokes did have individual pkts of the choc mint coleus when we started this swap but now it is not there so I'm going to get that, zinnias and tall snaps elswhere. fyi: Park's has Summer Showers geranium hybrids but they don't offer the burgundy alone, only part of a blend so here is my wish list:

> 948Q summer showers 'burgundy' ivy leaf geranium

>1113 sky blue nolana paradoxa (2" blooms, sky blue with white throats) spreads, likes dry sun
http://www.dianeseeds.com/nolana.html

> 1516 royal tapestry alternanthera
http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/detail.asp?subcat=447&product_id=20682%2D10%2D02

> 822B crossandra tropic yellow splash, firecracker flower, blooms continuously
http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=CROSSANDRA_YELLOW&comments=1

I like many of what others picked out too, esp. the cordifolia bergenia and the hypericum calycinum (St. John's Wort)

My add on pkts:
155 Anise $2.10 pkt
417 Magdeburgh (chicory) $2.15 pkt
1266 bonfire red salvia 24" $1.95 pkt
1516 royal tapestry alternanthera $4.25 pkt

edited add on's

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 12:58 PM

Lala_ Jane, You're in! :)

Try to get me a list of 3 or 4 things posted soon, because I thought some things were missing when I went looking at their website last night. You can pick things other people have picked to sort of nudge them into a better position, or you can pick totally new things. Despite the lean toward pinks & blues & Purples, there will be some oranges, reds and whites :)

All,

I saw the Coleus and about had a heat attack -- 250 seeds for like $40.00 was the smallest amount, so it looks like it is definitely OUT of the picture. I am so sorry, I feel like I've been rushing everybody, but I didn't think there was any real rush, y'know?

Funny you mention that about the individual packs being gone and some of the sizes selling out...does that mean I need to kick this into high gear?

Who else needs extra packs of seeds for themselves, and how long do you think it will take you to pull it together? I was thinking Friday (tomorrow), but maybe late Thursday night (late tonight) would be doable???

Suzy

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, Rachel, didn't you get Florence fennel from me in the last swap? if you didn't, I'll send some in suzy's next one. I've got a lot of it.

Suzy, if any of my picks don't make it and they still have packs available, I'd like to order a pack for myself. None of them were expensive.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 10:24 AM

I moved the deadline up to tonight at midnight...yes, I can extend it by an hour, but not wait until Friday morning. I am so sorry -- if you have personal packs you want, you need to add the totals up and tell me what you want in dmail (and if you already did this, you don't have to do it a second time)

Suzy

(Zone 7a)

Pagancat, if I ever have to go into seed-rehab, I want you in charge! lol

Suzy, regarding geranium 'Summer Showers' - I'm fine with whatever we wind up with. I prefer the burgundy for its black tones, but mixed would be fine, and I could find a spot for a pinkish rose. Do I sound biased or what?

I'll post my updated list in a separate post - sooooon :)

karen

ps I deleted Dianthus 'Dynasty' and Impatiens 'Fanciful' semi-double white, because I didn't see anyone else showing any interest. But did that happen in any dmails to you? I've been adjusting my list to what everyone else posted, but that's hard to do if some are not posting their wish and add-on lists.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK, here's my modified list from the previous post. Suzy - if none of these make sense then please feel free to abandon my choices (although I do still want any of the Italian dandelion mentioned in another post) and lump me in with the selections that others are making.

1274A Horminum Tricolor Mix: Latin Name: Salvia horminum
(18 in./46 cm). Formula blend of blue, pink and cream shades. Packet contains 100 seeds. Approx. 9,500 seeds per oz/28 g.

1295D Salsa White: Salvia splendens: Ivory/white tips. The SALSA Series is daylength neutral (plant height remains compact in mid summer). Bushy plants will flower 8 - 10 weeks in paks and are excellent in 4 in./10 cm pots. Prolific bloomer! Responsive to B-9 and high light intensity to stay extra dwarf. (Outdoors 15 in./38 cm).

156 Caraway: Carum Carvi: 70 days. Biennial. Roots are eaten as a vegetable, leaves and shoots in salads, seeds for seasoning. 20in./51cm plant. Best sown in late summer to yield fresh seed next season. 12,000 seeds per oz./28g. Pkt. 200 seeds. (According to some odd website called Dave's Garden, this can be sown after last frost. This should give it the opportunity to get established for a really rousing time the following year, with the possibility of a late seed harvest the first year.)

Rob

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Suzy- I edited my list to remove "Hello Gorgeous" and replaced it with "Figaro." I also removed the florence fennel since Gram said she could send me some. I I would like to buy and individual packet off the following if they don't make the final cut:

898 Figaro Original Mixture Detailed Growing Instructions
Latin Name: D.xhybrida
(14 in./36 cm). Standard semi double mixture for bedding plant sales. Large 2 1/2 in./6 cm blooms, bushy uniform plants with dark green leaves. A nice blend of colors. Packet contains 25 seeds. (Packet $2.25)

1146C Joker Poker Face
Alt. Name: Happy Flower
Replaces Jolly Joker. Same dark orange petals/purple cap with black face. Packet contains 50 seeds. (Packet $1.95)

1146 Joker Light Blue
Tricolor face - light blue/ white halo/dark blue face, yellow eye. Packet contains 50 seeds. (Packet $1.95)

934 Mrs Bradshaw Improved
Latin Name: Geumchiloense (G. hybridium)
(2 ft./61 cm). Brilliant scarlet double flowers, twice the size of the old strain. Pkt contains 75 seeds. (Packet $2.25)

F1 hybrid – Peach flowers with violet upper petals flowers on mounded 4-6 in/10-15 cm plants that tolerate frost. For mixed containers (Packet $2.25)

1487A Uproar Rose
Latin Name: Zinnia elegans
F1 hybrid - Deep rose double blooms on plants that reach a garden height of 28-36 in/70-90 cm, with a width of 24-27 in/60-68 cm. Loves heat (Packet $3.50)

1374B Blackjack
Alt. Name: Johnny Jump-Up
Pure black. (Packet$1.95)

And this one that wasn't on the list but I just found it!

1377Y Sorbet Coconut Swirl Detailed Growing Instructions
(F1 hybrid) Cream with purple picotee/yellow eye. 60 days from seed. Zone 5B.
(Packet $2.25)

Just let me know what I owe and I will send it your way!

Thanks, Rachel

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Gram- I need to check my seeds, thanks for the reminder, maybe I did get it! I will let you know. Rachel

Suzy- I am good with either of the geraniums :0)

(Zone 7a)

Here's my modified wish list; it's been adapted to what others were and weren't showing interest in -

#1 Wish List in Order of Preference -

Viola Penny Purple Picotee #1742J p75 (20sd/$2.25; 500/$15.25) (Illoquin, Roses_R_Red) - has dark purple picotee, with cream faintly blushed with pale yellow and whiskers - I think pale yellows make black tones of other colors even sharper & that being a low carpeter/edger with good foliage, it will make neighbors behind more attractive. I like the luminous, misty quality of these flowers. They'll last all year if cut back in August and watered/fertilized after blooming.

#2 Wish List -

*Browallia #716 Amethyst p88 (1 pkt 50sd/$1.95; 500/$3.65; 1,000/$4.91) - In my garden, this has taken 3/4 shade, bloomed till frost, and has kept its attractive leaves all season, thus being an essential counter-balance to scruffier incidents elsewhere.

*Geranium (Trailing Ivy) Summer Showers #948Q Burgundy p66 20sd/$12.45 (wind, grampapa) If I could only have one flower in an elevated pot, this one would be it - with all the pale colors I grow, black-toned shades like this one are most welcome. Also, I have a lot of small places either tilted or terraced where I prefer "pre-flopped" plants like this one, instead of ones with pretensions of staying upright for any significant length of time on their own.

Portulaca Sundial #1239F double white p80 (1pkt/$1.95; 1,000/$3.65) Another flower I like to use masquerading as a little rose - I have a little bit of seed left of the "black-purple" coleus "Palisandra' (spelling) I harvested a couple of years ago, which should make another great combination exploiting black and pale tonalities with this moss rose. These two flowers would be wonderful with either the pink or apricot spectrums. I did bring fuchsia 'Gartenmeister' in this fall - should mix well with these two next summer - it'll loom out of a bit more shade towards them...and Suzy's Alonsoa...and a Mina lobata if I can aquire some seed...will also thros in some Brazilian sage now wintering indoors - hummers, watch out!
----------------------

Flowers that others are interested in that I am, too -

Delphinium elatum 'Benary...Black Knight' (BloomHeaven

Primula polyantha 'Pacific Hybrid Giants' Mix 1261 p96 (1pk 25sd/$2.25; 100 seeds / $5.15) (from Rachierabbit; Rose_R_Red chose this too)(I deleted my choice for Primula Orion Blue - Rachie's choice is fine with me)

Salvia horminum 'Tricolor' mix 1274A (from Dryad)

VEGIES, HERBS - I'll ask for a pack of these to be added - anyone else want to share here?
Celeriac 94A Giant Prague (pkt 1,000sd/$1.85) p17
Feng Qing Choi 422F (no seed count - pkt $1.85) p16
Mitsuba 411A (no seed count - pkt $1.85) p16 - Japanese parsley
Parsnip Rooted Parsley 'Hamburg Half-Long' 229B (pkt 500sd/$2.15) p40

Vegies & Herbs that others are interested in that I wouldn't mind splitting, if they don't mind -

Anise 155 (pkt 200sd / $2.10) p30 (from Wind)(Dryad)
Carum carvi (Caraway) 156 (pkt 200 sd / $1.85) p30 (from Dryad)
---------------------------------------

If only a few seeds are available after splitting, then I'd like also to add a full pack for myself of these:
Portulaca Sundial White 1,000/$3.65
Viola Penny Purple Picotee (20sd/$2.25)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For the rest, pot luck is great, except for:

Amaranthus - already have seeds
Anchusa capensis
Dahlia 'Hello Gorgeous'; dwarf

Dianthus plumarius 'Ballad' blend - I don't know why, but this D. plumarius has not done as well for me, nor smelled so heavinly as have other cultivars of D. plumarius in the past. I suspect Ballad may be more likely to be D. chinensis or D. hedwiggi (spelling?) (or hybrid thereof), which have been less fragrant than D. plumarius 'Sonata' or 'Ipswich' and needed more sun when I grew them in bygone sunnier times.

Geum chiloense 'Mrs. Bradshaw'
Nolana 1113 sky blue nolana
Helianthus - already have seeds

Pansy/Viola - the following are all great, but don't fit my current schemes -
1146C Joker Poker Face
1146 Joker Light Blue
1374B Blackjack
1742B Penny Orange Jump Up
1162X Purple Pirouette

Phlox paniculata (hardy summer phlox) - I'll bet these will be more gorgeous than the volunteers lurking on edges of our paths, where, if Mr. Woodchuck messes them up again, they can be cut back until next year, and the rest of the garden none the worse. But I'll stick with our survivors.

Salvia splendens 'Salsa' white - not fond of just this one species - the rest of the sages I have tried so far have done well for me and I look forward to growing others listed here.

Veronica - In my garden, the low veronicas so far have wanted to roll over all their neighbors, and the taller ones want to flop over them. If I want more floppers, l'll plant a sage any day before I plant another veronica. I do get along very well with floppers, though. Mats of Viola labradorica and Geranium lancastriense, among others, make great carpets for floppers, I've noticed, as does Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'...Viola odorata has withstood the advances of Begonia evansii very well, too. And, another great flopper/floppee combination for us has been Lunaria annua self-sowing through a cream/gray-green Vinca minor.

Zinnias - There are other full-sun lovers I enjoy growing more right now. Some day, if I find my elderly, creaky self with lots of sun and a flat space, I'll go bananas with a pack of zinnias and nothing else.

Karen

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 12:26 PM

no problem to share the anise or italian dandelion :)

...their customer service person got back to me immediately confirming that was the correct cost for the bacopa!

karen, just curious why don't you want the nolana? I was wondering if it is the same as blue ensign?

LOL!

Of course, you get a lot of seed for that $139.00. Maybe next year I'll put out a real coop (on the coop forum) and have that on the list. The price per seed isn't all that high, but the total sure keeps the riff raff out!

I'm not Karen, but Nolana is nothing like Blue Ensign. Blue Ensign's flowers are 5x bigger and a bright ultra-blue and the yellow and white are very visible. Nolana is a softer blue and the white eye isn't as noticeable. Nolana is weedier looking and a lot smaller plant. If you have a dozen plants, they don't make nearly as big a show, and even at the end of July you can see the ground betwen them. Blue Ensign can hold its own against taller and bigger things, and while Nolana looks good coming up between things, they have to be really short things. . It also doesn't bloom all season like Blue Ensign. (Although that might not be completely fair to say, I planted Nolana is a shadier spot than the Blue Ensign, but I think it is probably true.)

I'm making it sound like it's not worth growing, but it is. I liked it, but I didn't collect seed from it so it would self-sow.

S.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for letting me join in Suzy :) I am up for about anything so would just like a nice surprise just a note though no veggies or herbs, I like lots of flowers! Just surprise me with pot luck :) I'm sure I will be happy with what ever you pick :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Whos the last lucky person going to be??

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I listed my requests above, but just to comment on some others...

the zinnia 'Uproar Rose' that has been mentioned twice sounds good :)

I would vote for any of the violas/johnny jump-ups

I generally like herbs, but don't want any of those that have been requested

primula, salvia, portulaca...all good. actually pot luck on the flowers as long as I get a shot at a couple of my picks is fine.

(Zone 7a)

Wind,

Hope I didn't come off sounding like the Christmas Grinch about seeds I did not want. I think we all - over the course of our gardening lifetimes - should try as many different kinds of plants as possible. So, if you haven't grown Nolana yet, I would definitely try it. If my memory is working properly here, I seem to recall that an old name for it is the Shoofly plant - reason enough to grow it at least once. I grew it once before, but it burned up rather early in summer heat after going to seed, so I would just as soon continue experimenting with other plants new to me, as well as staying with others more compelling to me.

Blue Ensign is the name given to cultivars belonging to the genera (plural for genus) iris and pulmonaria - plus, there is an Ensign Blue cultivar belonging to Convolvulus tricolor, a dwarf morning glory. So, whichever Blue Ensign or Ensign Blue we may be talking about here, it's very far removed from Nolana botanically.

Because one common name can refer to so many different kinds of plants, it makes more sense to use the name of a plant for which there is only one name: the scientific name. DG PlantFiles is great, because you can put just about any ol' common name in the search hopper and usually arrive at that plant's one and only scientific name. It sure does save on confusion, as with Blue Ensign above.

Since you asked me what the difference is, I hope nobody minds if I give an explanation of the scientific name which has two words: Genus, first and capitalized, followed by species in lower case. This is followed by the name of the cultivar with initial caps in single quotes, which is followed by the common name in initial caps within parantheses.

For example, Ensign Blue as a morning glory would be called:
Convolvulus tricolor 'Ensign Blue' (Dwarf Morning Glory) and

Blue Ensign as an iris would be:
Iris 'Blue Ensign' - belonging to Tall Bearded group
(The species epithet (name of the species) is often left out for Iris because of heavy hybridization)

Blue Ensign as a lungwort would be:
Pulmonaria 'Blue Ensign' (Lungwort)
Here, there probably is a species epithet, but since PlantFiles is said to sometimes go by what merchants (or groups that rely on merchants) use for a plant name instead of taxonomists (scientists who classify living things), the standards of DG PlantFiles are not what they could be.

Following is a very simplified tree showing where genus and species are located within the plant classification system, from broadest category to narrowest:

Kingdom - the top of the tree canopy (distinguishes between plant or animal)
Order - An order is a group of classes.
Class - A class is a group of families.
Family - A family is a group of genera (plural for genus).
Genus - A genus is a group of species, more closely related to each other than the members within the above groups are to each other.
Species - Species do not normally cross or hybridize with each other.
Cultivar - A cultivar is a plant that has been either hybridized or selected over enough years that offspring look like their parent. Cultivars within the same species can most easily cross with each other.

An example of another useful application of being able to maneuver around within this system of classification has to do with the families to which plants belong. Look at the PlantFiles page for Nolana - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77655/ . At the top, for family, notice it says Solanaceae. Well, tomatoes also belong to the family Solanaceae, as do petunias. Dame's Rocket and Honesty belong to the cabbage family(Brassicaceae). Sweet peas belong to the bean family (Papilionaceae). And morning glory Blue Ensign belongs to the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae) as do sweet potatoes. It's recommended that vegetables be rotated since growing the same group in the same spot year after year concentrates the diseases and pests for which members of that group are vulnerable. Many farmers don't do that, and they often have to spend more money on chemicals to control those bad guys.

Well, the same thing is true of flowers. If you ever have a choice, it's better to not grow nolana or petunia where one or the other or both grew the previous year, but rather to switch off to, say, the dwarf morning glory Ensign Blue. And so forth. This is a broad generalization to which there are many exceptions, but it's nice to know.

So, now you know some reasons why nolana and Ensign Blue are different. They have different pest and disease issues, and since they are both low and blue, are nice to switch in the same spot from year to year. They are very far apart botanically, as you can see from above. And MG Ensign Blue has a more open growing habit - leggier - than nolana, so perhaps growing something else up through it - like curly parsley - will save the day.

Hope this helps -
karen

(Zone 7a)

Y'all are making me feel down right "Entish" (remember the Ent men in Tolkien's Lord of the Ring? - vewwwwwwwwwwy ancient, slow-moving tree people). I see I crossed with 4 posts.

Suzy, it's a good thing we're not all me or each other ... something like that - am quite cross-eyed after replying to Wind. All I remember about growing nolana is that it disappeared very quickly after I planted it, so good thing you helped wind out there.

unchaining from pooter, now -
karen

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

After reading bluspirals description - I want some of each!

Okay, LeBug.

SGL, I'm not going to worry about it, and am going ahead as if there are 15 people. The last one or two just won't get a choice on the seeds if they sign up tomorrow or later, but it is shaping up really nicely, I think, so I think everybody will be happy. In a way, somebody just now seeing the thread is luckier than you were -- you didn't have a clue about what people would want. Somebody just signing up and reading this thread can more clearly see the direction it's going.

Bluespiral, thanks for the explanation, and to add a bit, crop rotation is also important on Rudbeckias and Asters. I learned that last year when somebody posted a pic of a funky Rudbeckia -- it had Aster Yellows! I was going to get some of those cool Sea Star Asters aka Tiger Asters, but with all the choices already listed, decided against it. I had them last year and they were really cool -- sort of shaggy in a Meg Ryan $1000.00 hairstyle kind of way. LOL! I saved some seed, and I'm sure it doesn't come true, but it will be interesting to see what I get.

Another reason a person might not want Nolana is because she already has it. (The longer you've been on DG, the more likely you are to have one of everything. LOL! But sometimes I decide to take a different direction that what I was thinking in the winter when I ordered, and sometimes I have grass that died and decide to maybe move the line of my flower bed out a bit. Not enough that Mr. Clean notices, but enough for a couple of varieties to be added ;)).

The one thing I have always wanted to do is have 2 summer gardens -- one for the cool season plants and one for the hot season plants. It is very difficult to do in Indiana, and even when they do it in England, they have 1/3 acre of tilled rows to grow things to size and a greenhouse. Oh, and a staff of gardeners. LOL! Still, I'd like to try to see if it could be done. As of now, the only combination I have come up with is dahlias in the spot where tulips were. And Zinnias where anything else had been....making for LOTS of Zinnias. (In other words, I'm still working on it)

Suzy

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

nothing wrong with lots of zinnias :)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

That's what I say!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Karen - 'fess up, you've taught this to other people, haven't you?? What an excellent explanation for "crop" rotation in a flower garden!!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Holy cow I'm so far behind...I found this thread too late! I'm going to try to find some time tonight to browse through Stokes, but I have a feeling I'll just be saying, "I'll have whatever they're having." LOL!

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Rob - nope - not a teacher - just have fun with language

Suzy, I, too, dream of different color themes. Have you read any books by or about Vita Sackville-West and her gardens at Sissinghurst? One of them was in front of the "Priest's House" and was called the "sunset garden". Typing

Sissinghurst + "sunset garden" into the search bar of www.google.com

yields some interesting results to explore ( like this one - http://www.lynetter.com/blogs/amherst/2005/06/what-ive-learned-about-herbaceous.html ), try
"Priest's House" + Sissinghurst and so forth. A picture I saw of her sunset garden showed 4 beds broken by paths meeting at a crossroads with a tall, narrow conifer off-center in each. The picture was looking over a high stone wall perpendicular to the house, and there was a climbing rose in pastel sunset colors foaming up over the wall. She liked to play structure in the design against a frou-frou wildness in the meadow flowers.

If it were our garden, what we plant? And, lacking armies of gardeners and space stretching to the horizon, let's think in miniature.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm too pooped to give this Swa-Op my full attention to detail, so I am going to sit back, pour myself a drink, punch the PayPal Button ... then wait to see what you beautiful people came up with.

Suzy, is PayPal really an option? That would be groovy!

I second the paypal option.

LeBug's here........hi LeBug :) you have dmail

boy nolana wasn't too popular....well I appreciate all the explanations. I guess I should have said it's for a hanging basket. The blue ensign I was referring to was the Convolvulus tricolor 'Ensign Blue'. Suzy, gosh the convolvulus ensign blue flowers were pretty small and they said the nolana is supposed to be 2" which is larger, that's why I thought it might be nice to try.

photo of Convolvulus tricolor 'Ensign Blue'

Thumbnail by wind

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.