Hibs for weekend of 12/08-09/07

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Blue Flags

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

And Purple Magic

I'm so glad I have the greenhouse to put these guys in--temps have been below 30 for several nights in a row, and this morning it was 25 degrees outside! I'm starting to feel like I don't really live in zone 9!

Thumbnail by ecrane3
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Hey Liz! They're all beautiful, but I love that Antique Treasure :-) This is one I bought from Winn Soldani, so who knows if this one will bloom next spring or not - crossing my fingers though...

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Liz, all gorgeous, but fav s definately Antique Treasure.
Robert,
Thank goodness we are not getting your cold spell here. However, when I can get up off my lazy.....feet (lol), will start putting the lights around the pots.
I figure, if it takes 3 days to spray all my plants for bugs, it'll take 2 weeks to do all the lights. Waiting for the"after Christmas sale" to purchase the lights. Will keep them on permanently, cuz, too lazy to do this every year!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Great blooms. I sure like your picture of Heat Flash, Robert. Great looking hibiscus.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

from yesterday and today. First up: "Big Easy"

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Campfire Girl

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Cloud Nine

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Double Creole Darlin

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

David Boulin

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Envie

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

A very pale "Eva Paoloni"

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Leroy

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Miss Fantasy

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

First time bloom of "Mysteria" .

Robert, it is beautiful. Pictures are not doing it justice.

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Peach El Cap

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Mystic Glow

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Pink garden variety

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Last for today, a super huge and healthy "Wallflower"

Thank you, Matt.

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cat, I love Big Easy; it looks like you could fall in and drown.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

All very beautiful! I especially like Envie and your new Mysteria

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Dec 16, 2007 1:37 AM

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry about the above
Delta Dawn

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Black Dragon

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Red Dragonette

Ardesia,
You MUST put Big Easy on your spring list. She is magnificent in person and as big as a dinner plate, sometimes bigger!

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pretty, Pretty, Cat! Thanks for all these that you post.
Here's another look at my Mysteria from a mature plant.
peace,
Barry

Thumbnail by BarrysHibiscus
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a relatively new seedling, big at 8-9", getting its color from a breeder named Sweet Success and size from Eyes of Texas (to be patented.) So far this one Adobe Clay is under evaluation and has not been sold or released.
peace,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Four newbies that showed up one day last week. I wonder which you find most appealing? Size ranges from 4" to 8.5"
Thanks,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Another interesting bloom under evaluation . .
Antique Silver
cheers,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A mini with very interesting color and nice form . . Infinity:

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jim Croce had a song called "Roller Derby Queen" about "the meanest hunk of woman anybody ever seen" and this newbie got that unfortunate name, too, due to its feminine color but very rough form. The name may not stick if the form smooths out . .
;-)
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a nice double that makes a lot of big flowers; Matt will be selling Renaissance, I think.
peace,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

One more today, just a pink but with such dramatic veins and good size that we are evaluating its potential. Hope Floats:
peace,
Barry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Barry, you've sure got a lot of beauties! I will be anxiously watching Matt's site to get my hands on some of yours next year!

On your pic of 4 new ones...they're all beautiful but I especially like the gold/orange one in the bottom right corner, that one is absolutely gorgeous!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was having trouble deciding if I liked the gold/orange or the deep orange/red /brown in the lower left hand corner the best.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I like all four, but especially the bottom two. Very pretty.

Tulsa, OK

Barry - Love the yellow/orange one, infinty and Roller Derby Queen. Question for you or anyone else that might know - I have 2 pots of hibiscus plants that have suddenly started dropping it's healthy green leaves - and the other's left looks droopy - they are still shiny - there are no visible pests, no yellowing, not overwatered/underwatered (as far as I can determine) it's getting enough sun and is by a clear glass door - indoor temp is on average 65 degrees -HELP - I'm worried - is there any pest or disease that can cause this???

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmmm . . I suppose you are sure that it is not root trouble from being too wet . . indoors? I'd knock off a pot and inspect the root zone. Could be the low house humidity which misting a couple of times a day might help. But I'm afraid most likely is fusarium or such fungi running amok in the root zone. And a common cause is too much water in low light/low temp conditions with some random wound in root zone perhaps as entry point. Or cold north wind dryng them out before you brought them in?

IT's cold here and probably there right now . . but you might set these in bathtub and pour a 10% bleach solution thru the root zone, then withold water for at least a week. IF I had them here, I'd inspect the roots, disturb roots a little and repot in clean pot with new soil, and put in the warmest, brightest spot in the greenhouse . . do the bleach thing . . even treat them with expensive Subdue if they were not replaceable, like promising one of a kind seedlings . .and grow them very dry to almost wilt until strong new growth appeared. In warm weather I'd bareroot them before repotting, but December . . makes things challenging. NO fertilizer during this event.
luck to you,
Barry

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Good info to keep.
Now, as far as the four go, you all know I am crazy about browns, so top right and bottom left are my pics :)
Also, Infinity and Renasance are quite attractive.

Tulsa, OK

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the info - I'll try that today - purchased a fresh (cold) bag of soil & brought out the bleach - what's Subdue? Can I pick it up at any hardware store? I hate the idea of losing it - and I did check the soil is wet - so you might be right! I'm at work with them now so I'll do the bleach thing during my lunch hour - they really look bad so I hope I'm not too late!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.