Parlor Palm

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Before I brought this inside for winter,I trimmed off a few branches just about dead,well over half ways,anyhow,this was middle October,then I noticed branches growing back in the places I trimmed,didn't think that would happen,well Is this normal?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Now then I noticed this,surely not all of them will be flowers???

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

they should i'm sure

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well Good I hope so!!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice palm collection Tropicman. The triangle palm leaves are really long. I have a triangle palm that has grew its first spear since I got it. They are amazing how they grow with the three sides.
The king palm looks really great too for three years. I have about 20 that germinated in November but they are growing really slow. I cant wait for them to start throwing out more leaves.
Goodluck with the collection. Tyler

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

They surely will be. This palm should clump eventually under the right conditions, however, new stems will emerge from the soil and new leaves will emerge from the meristem.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

This palm,I've had for quite some time,started from a little seedling I got in a trade,at least 5 yrs or more,it has bloomed before.
Tyler,I was surprised by how long those new spheres were compared to the rest of them.seems like it jumped a stage of growth or two,after the second year that king just took off,has another new sphere growing,really fast once they get going!

I kind like the single trunk look,wonder if I can dig these clumps up and root them,I heard you can do that with a fishtail clumping forum.
I have two of them with a bunch of clumps on the base of both fish tail palms that I might give it a try!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I must be confused.. .what palm are we talking about here? Chamaedorea elegans (aka Parlor Palm) is a solitary species, not a clumper.. .or is that something else there? As for growing palms from offsets- that is a pretty tricky and low yield procedure... I have not actaully known of any one that has much luck doing that.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes Chamaedorea elegans,is the palm I'm talking about,common name parlor palm.
I only meant if I get any offsets on the parlor palm,I might try it
I thought F4 flora was talking about it too!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

If you do get offsets on your Chamaedorea elegans, it's not a Chamaedorea elegans... maybe a hybrid of one? As I said, this is a solitary species (often sold in nurseries and garden centers in large clumps... but each palm in those clumps is a solitary plant- in those situations, separating the individual palms might work... palms just hate having their roots messed with)

Here's some older plants outdoors in California

Thumbnail by palmbob
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm those are huge,I thought I read,they were a small palm,maybe 5 ft tall at the most?

Cool pic, Palmbob. I have never seen mature elegans like that- I've only ever seen 6 inch to 3 gallon grow pots with multiple trunks. I'm going back to the books to check and see (rather than assume) just how many of the chamaedorea species really are clumping.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have seen these grow up to 10' tall, but by then the stems are very twisted and less ornamental as they can no longer support the crown. This is a relatively fast plant outdoors (at least here in California). 2 leaf seedlings planted 3 years ago are already 3' tall over all and have about 4" of stem. Kept in a pot, especially in doors, they are much slower, and even more slow if grown in a pot with many others (as is usually the case).

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

It surprises me the growth rate on some of these palms,given the dry humidity that you have in southern California,I understand that is the problem with the growing a lot palms that Florida grows,that you guys have trouble with.
Is it if you can provide the extra humidity somehow,that you can grow many palms that they do in Florida,or is it more as well as the temps,being you guys get cooler weather for longer periods of time.
Parlor palm same family as the cat palm,yet it can grow in water,one likes it dry the other likes it wet,sometimes it's confusing to me to understand both being from the same family yet are as opposite like day and night!
Altho I have some parlor palms growing in water for almost a year now,there are seedlings,don't know whether they will like growing in water when they get older and larger in size!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Most Chamaedoreas prefer their soils to be constantly moist, though most do not like living with their roots in actual water, save perhaps Chamaedorea cataractarums (though they do equally well in drier soils here). Chamaedoreas do not like our hot dry summers, nor do they like our freezing cold winters... but they much prefer this climate, on average, to the muggy, constantly hot climate in Florida, so most actually grow much better here than in Florida. In general the soils here are much richer (less nutrient deficient) so that helps, too.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I thought maybe it was the other way around!!!
Well I have several parlor seedlings living in water for about a year,and they seem to love it,there really dark green,this is a experiment just to see how long they will survive in the
water.

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

My C. elegans barely had any damage in the 07 Freeze. It sat in mid or low 20's all night and low 30's or upper 20's every night for a week. It has not grown as fast as PB described, but it is growing pretty steadily.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thats nice to know they can take a little cold,was it out of the wind and in a micro climate
area?
Don

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

All mine did well with minimal damage last year while nearly every other species of Chamaedorea was fried to a crackly crunch in January. Only Chamaedorea adcendens, ernesti-augustii, oreophila and some unknown species did equally well. Some of the suckering ones are growing back, but all the other solitary species are gone.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Seems funny palms of the same family,have such a wide margin of cold hardiness.
But then again a lot of plants are like that.I guess thats what makes it a challange to grow in different areas.

Some species develop in mountainous regions where temperatures can be cooler than valleys.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

And seed hunters collect them and send them to all regions of the world,for people like us grow them in a new habitat,and hopefully change the way they can grow,even croos pollination could be a change for the better!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.