Poppy Blue Himalayan (Meconopsis betonicifolia Blue Himalaya

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Can I winter sow the seeds of Poppy Blue Himalayan (Meconopsis betonicifolia Blue Himalaya)? I'm in Zone 6B.

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

I've never done it myself, but I 've heard of a lot of people having success with it. I checked the plant files and it's listed as a hardy perennial. So, it should be fine for winter sowing.

Thank you! After posting this I remembered the Plant Files. I read that it can be winter sown. I'm going to give it a try.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good morning Michaeljo, I love that color! Did you had them blooming this year or did you just get the seeds? I'm in zone 7b I guess I should give it try too then.

I just ordered the seeds. This will be my first time winter sowing ... can't wait to see these growing in my garden.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've never tried them, nor seen one for that matter. I don't think they'd grow well here. They're supposed to like acid soil and cool wet weather as in the PNW. I have none of those conditions, but it's one I'd like to try. The pictures are always so beautiful.

Karen

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I live in zone 5 (Maine) and am trying winter sowing these for the first time this year :)
I have already sown them.
I have very acidic soil and am HOPING they like it here.
Just for the kick of it, I took some of my soil and put it in a tiny pot. I put a few seeds in the pot and put them on the light stand. After what seems like forever *lol* I see some baby seedlings popping up :) I have never been very good at growing seeds inside but never had a light stand until this year so my fingers are crossed :)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I need to get me some of those too! Just received a portable greenhouse today, set it up on porch (enclosed) so hopefully I can get something growing too. Which sellers did you buy the seeds from?

I ordered the seeds from Park Seed.

www.parkseed.com

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, will check it out.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

VERY IMPORTANT!

I also will be winter sowing these for the first time. The instructions I have from T & M and from fellow DG members is that we MUST NOT let these bloom the first year.

We must resist temptation and remove all buds - that way, these become perennial poppies - not just annuals.

. . . . thought you might like to know :-)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

WHAT! Are you kidding me Michaela? OMG, I might just have to let SOME of them bloom.
Just planted a few more seeds inside last night. I think I will let a couple bloom (just because I HAVE to *lol*).....that is.......if I can get them to the blooming stage :)

Thank you SO MUCH for the tip. I will be sure NOT to let the winter sown ones bloom. I will have to transplant them into the garden this spring at some point though.

Hope all is well with you are and yours and that you have Very Happy Holidays :)

Kim

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Kim - yes, let a couple bloom and take pictures, so we have an idea of what we can look forward to the 2nd and subsequent years!

I am sitting in the living room sorting through even MORE seeds that have arrived via a swap (and I ordered some from Parker, and I am involved with another swap or two! - gee if you need any seeds let me know - I have lots to share!)

It's snowing like crazy here!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Big time blizzard here today also.
Very fine snow but coming down in buckets!
I have tons of seeds too Micheala but I appreciate the offer. I have more than I will ever be able to sow and I was getting to the point where it was stressing me out so I sent a HUGE bag for Robbi's newbies robin :)
Right now I have 2 trays of datura that are already 6 inches high *lol*. Got too anxious back at the end of October *lol*
Thinking they are going to make nice houseplants as I'm sure I won't be able to bring them out until June sometime *lol*

Kimber

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been infatuated with himalayan blues for a couple years now. I got hold of some seed (they must be fresh if you are to stand a chance at success, so I am told) last year and attempted to grow them, to no avail. Apparently, I am much too far South to grow them. I have since heard that you pretty much need to be in Zone 5 or colder in order to grow them. If any of you do succeed, please please please post updates so that I can live vicariously through you?

I will probably sow some seeds outdoors this week, in hope of a Christmas Miracle, but I won't hold my breath. ****SIGH****

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Right now I have only one seedling that was strong enough to make it to 4 leaves. I put down more seed.
I do have some that are outside under 2 feet of snow that I winter sowed.
I have more seed that I will put outside in March too.
I'm trying all kinds of different ways and hoping one method works as I too have always loved these and wanted to try them.
My seeds are from Iceland :)

Still trying :)

Kim

I love a challenge! I am reading up on the little buggers and keeping my fingers crossed. I have 100 seeds (from Germany) and will try a few methods (winter sowing in containers, wet-paper-towel-in-a-baggie method and direct sowing), something has to work.

Do you think I could use a mix of peat moss and perlite (or vermiculite) to start these seeds?

This message was edited Dec 24, 2007 7:01 AM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I am going to sow some today - the moon is full and it's Christmas Eve - so maybe it is an auspicious time! Wish me luck :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

After reading this, I'm pretty sure that we will all sow some poppies today!

Merry Christmas -- http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/259/

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

THAT is SO cute!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well - I hope I did the correctly - I probably put about 8 seeds in each peat pot and they are not on the front veranda - encased in a one-gallon zip-lock baggie. Cross your fingers that one or two actually germinate!

I'll be cheering for your poppies Seandor and hoping my germinate too!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes - let's keep our fingers crossed :-)

Here's some inspiration ...

Thumbnail by michaeljo
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

[my heart is aflutter]

That's gorgeous, michaeljo.

I wish it was mine ... just a picture I found, something to look forward to!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I picked up seeds for these violet colored meconopsis while in England last Spring and I'm going to try wintersowing them, although I suspect that the seeds may be past their prime. Fingers are crossed:

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/product_58591.html

I also have the regular blues:
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/3060/1

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

wrightie: Even if the "seeds may be past their prime", I would definitely still winter sow them. Old seeds still will germinate via the winter sowing method. However, in our growing zone, I would be more concerned about them flowering during the Summer months. I've winter sown many different types of Poppies, but they all seem to poop out once our heat & humidity hits them.

Best of luck!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I set them out on Friday night. Fingers Crossed that we see a blooming blue. :)

I LOVE the color blue! Can't have enough of it in my garden!!

You're ahead of me, I haven't even started yet! Noooo problem...still plenty of time!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Well, here is my second go around with these babies.
I found out the hard way the first time that these don't like to dry out AT ALL!
Needless to say, this time they are planted in dirt from my yard and are VERY moist.
So far....so good.
I have never been good at seeds so I'm enjoying the challenge of these :)

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

CONGRATULATIONS! How long did it take before they germinated?

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

They were sown on 12/12.
I am not getting my hopes up yet though because quite honestly, I have higher hopes for my winter sown ones that mother nature is going to take care of for me.
Seeds don't seem to thrive in my care for some reason. I can get them to germinate and then.......they fizzle so I'm not going to get too excited that's for sure.

Cute though aren't they?

Kim

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Very cute!

Regarding fizzling ... do you keep a fan going (on low) in the room where your seed trays are? That has been the answer to many of my problems in the past.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

You know, I don't and I just got a cute little fan for Christmas. I think I will set it up as it is just on the floor next to my bed.
Great idea. Thank you very much :)
I sure hope these do grow to maturity though, I have always wanted to have one!
Even if only 1 makes it, I would be tickled!

Fingers crossed :)

Kim

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

GoodyGumDrops! Being in Maine, you stand a much better chance of getting blooms from these beauties. I will live vicariously through you!

Kim: Beautiful first sprouts! However, I'm betting on the winter sown seeds outdoors doing much better than the ones sown inside. Mother Nature waters them, provide a blanket of snow to insulate them, never has a problem with "damping off", plus she hardens them off for you! Your winter sown sprouts are ready to be planted directly in your garden. It will be interesting if you keep a log and let us know how your indoor seeds do vs. the same ones that are winter sown out side.

The Blue Himalayan Poppies will love your growing zone! I'll just have to enjoy their beauty through pictures posted on DG!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

We're getting ANOTHER foot of snow right now so they certainly are under a blanket of snow *lol*
It's done nothing BUT snow *lol*
Kind of nice though as we haven't received enough snow the past few years and I always find the blueberries & strawberries do better in the years we get good snow cover :)

Kim

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Just thought I'd share an updated picture of my blue babies :)
We now have over 4 feet of snow outside and I am curious as to how I'm going to keep these babies happy until I can get them outside.
Hardening them off is going to be another trick.
Right now they are very happy in my soil from outside, in a 9 inch solo cup under a yogurt dome *lol*.
Eventually soon I will have to slowly remove the dome as they are getting too tall and I'm SO afraid of losing them.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Koveting Kim's Kreations!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.