No comments on today's snow?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Are we the only ones who got snow today? Not a lot but enough to make it pretty and it spit snow off and on all day.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Four inches in Brunswick. Is it spring yet?

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

No snow for southside VA today. we got some flakes yesterday but they melted quickly, there wasn't even enough to wet the ground darn it all!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Bbbrrrr...It sure was pretty when it was falling gently to the ground, but man it's cold outside! Even the dog thinks it's to cold to stay outside for very long.

At least we got some much needed precipitation (about 3 inches)! We'll still need a lot more to make up for this past Summer's drought!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Forecast for tonight for here is to dip down to 18. That's mighty cold. It's 28 now by my thermometer.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

yes, it's mighty cold out after a day of appointments and errands.....brrrrrrrrrr!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I hadn't paid any attention to the forecast and had no idea any snow was expected. I sure was surprised when we had snow all day long. We measured 4 1/2 inches by night. Addy loved it. She went totally nuts in it.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

We had about 3 inches. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

the autumn joy sedums were so cold, they had to put on hats. (at least, it looked like that in real life, I figured I would have little trouble with lighting in the picture). Our schools went in two hours late and it was really icy on the neighborhood roads; they made the right decision. It's not that often we get any amount of snow in December, although I do remember school cancelation in Dec about five years ago (messed up a PTA event) It was so cold today the kids actually got to play when they came home today.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2007 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Addy loved it. She went totally nuts in it.

sally, LOL - I couldn't wait to see Phoebe's in the snow - there's nothing like a puppy's reaction to their "first snow" :)

We probably got a couple of inches here, not alot but every inch counts! Heard on the Roanoke station the other morning our normal yearly rainfall is 23" and we've only received 4" this year! Sure was pretty - prompted me to take a few pictures in the gardens.

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn- that is a beautiful picture. There were so many great ones in the contest. I think this is in the league. Can't you see this on December page? Hey , send it in for a bloom of the day!

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

We got about an inch of the white stuff. Forecast for the weekend is a wintery mix, then 60 degrees next week. Beginning to look a lot like March ... hoping for an early spring. Looking forward to seeing the blooms on all those bulbs you made me buy!

it gives me a thrill to go out on a melting-snow February day and see the snowdrops, and daff foliage coming up.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Debbie, it was so much fun sharing Jello's first snow with her. She was so cute - not so sure about this stuff and first and then bounding through it in sheer joy.

Just checked the forecast and they're calling for either freezing rain or a mix of snow and rain for tonight here, more snow further north. I'd much rather have snow than an ice storm.

I love snowdrops, Sally. Like you said, they're such a wonderful sight after a cold winter.

I just looked but don't have a picture of snowdrops in bloom with melting snow all around them. I must have seen them that way and thought it'd be a nice picture.
It been cold (30's) and drippy/sleety here all day. Still have to go out tonight to get DD after school, and go to school Xmas program.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is the advisory I got this morning. It covers our entire area. I'll try to copy the relevant towns and counties too.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-
NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-
PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-
CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-WARREN-
CLARKE-LOUDOUN-FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-
HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-WESTERN GRANT-
EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...
WESTMINSTER...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...
FROSTBURG...CUMBERLAND...WINCHESTER...FRONT ROYAL...LEESBURG...
FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...MARTINSBURG...
CHARLES TOWN...BAYARD...PETERSBURG...EMORYVILLE...HARTMANSVILLE...
KEYSER...FORT ASHBY
1124 AM EST FRI DEC 7 2007

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST
SATURDAY.

TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING FOR MUCH OF
NORTHERN MARYLAND AND PORTIONS OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA...AND THE
WEST VIRGINIA PANHANDLE TODAY. ANOTHER ROUND OF FROZEN
PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT TONIGHT. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS
OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA
THIS AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

$$

GMS

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
She was so cute - not so sure about this stuff and first and then bounding through it in sheer joy.

LOL, I think that would pretty much describe Phoebe's reaction as well! I'm kicking myself because I haven't figured out how to use the video feature on my new camera :( My son showed me how to do it when I was in Phoenix last month, easy, right? Picked it up confident that I knew what I was doing to take a video of Phoebe playing with our cat - they're an absolute riot together - and nothing :( Guess I have to chalk it up to "old-timers" disease and do what I should have done in the first place - read the manual! LOL Maybe I'll know what I'm doing by the next snowfall so I can take a video?

Miserable sleet first thing this morning here, changed over early to freezing rain, slippery!!!!! Fortunately we didn't have to go out anywhere today - however, unfortunately I've been sitting on my butt all day! Looks like warmer weather for this weekend so the small amount of snow we received will probably be gone by the first of the week!

A messy wintery mix this morning. Going up to 45 degrees this afternoon ... I'll be out planting 500 bulbs.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

brrrrr....good luck!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Somebody Up There sure was thinking right when they looked at dogs and thought "snow." LOL At least I hope that was the sequence.

Glad we didn't have an icy mess today. just rain. I guess we were far enough on the southern end of that front to dodge it.

Germantown, MD

An ICE warning is on for TONIGHt and this weekend - everyone bumdle up those tender plants!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Is it spring yet?!

Today: 33 degrees, sleet/rain mixture, not expected to be above 42 over the next 10 day ... I hate winter. Can't wait for spring!

My daughter- designated decorater of the house- just put this onto our desktop background. Took it during that snow but now really helping my Xmas spirit and thought someone else might enjoy.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Missed us, it was decent here today for a change!

Tis the season ... no snow here! 40 today, going to be 56 on Sunday. Thanks for the picture sallyg. Looks like were going to have a green xmas.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

sally, lovely pic - tell your 'designated decorator' she's very talented :)

A light dusting of snow here this morning, should be a pretty morning once the sun comes out! Think spring - tomorrow's the winter solstice and the days start getting longer :)

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Sallyg
Thanks for sharing the picture I love looking at snow! We don't get much here and it melts quickly but so far this year has been very mild. My asters from Halloween are still blooming!

Thanks, folks, for the nice commetns.
I love knowing that longer days are coming!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

What snow?? It isn't here.

didn't mean to confuse anybody, this is the thread from a few weeks ago and I just thought I'd continue it instead of a whole new one for my little ol' picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.