When to pick a Pondersoa lemon?

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

This lemon was the only one that didn't drop (or get knocked off by pets/varments). I thinned the small tree (about 3' tall) to three fruits. It initially set about 6 fruits in the Spring. The fruit is grapefruit sized and mostly yellow except for right around the stem. This is the first harvestable fruit I've had from this little tree and I don't want to pick it too early. I also have a Citris medica (Buddha's Hand) ready to be picked. Only a single fruit from that tree this year as well.

Dave.

Thumbnail by digital_dave
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Dang ,yours are are way ahead of mine.....
I think its a lake effect issue....LOL

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I only have one. LOL

As for the question, how do you know when to pick it? There's just a hint of green now at the stem.

Dave

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I usually pick mine in the spring
I wait till they look like they can't get any bigger or more yellow
But remember where I am and how late everything is up here

I did find with the ponderosas it was 1/2 peel.......
It was like shelling a nut casing to find it...LOL
not sure they're all that thick

Johns Island, SC

I've always harvested mine the minute there's no green left on the skin. I'm going to harvest one while it's still partly green this year to see if I notice any difference in flavor, juice, or skin thickness.

(Zone 9a)

Your nose knows.
Even if you don't. :)

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Dave, my buddha has only given me 1 fruit for the last 2 years. This year the fruit was a lot bigger than last year.

Thumbnail by weeding

It was picked and used as a perfume item at work.

Thumbnail by weeding

I pick my ponderosa when I can sueeze it and it gives. The rind on the ponderosa is realy thick. This one was picked way ahead of schedule by one of be nephews.

Thumbnail by weeding
Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

The fruit fell off and we decided to make a Shaker Lemon Pie. Here's the sliced fruit.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

...and here's my finger after stupidly not listening to DW to use the "guard" on the mandolin. Actually, I tried to use the guard but the rind was so tough the pins would not penetrate it.

Fortunately, I just sheared off the nail and a little of the skin under it. It looks worse than it is.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad it wasn't worse!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.