Is this the new Earthbox

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

The second crop was planted to late as the weather was cooler. The first crop was delicious. I did not think I could get corn in fall but thought I'd try.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the input about the gypsum. When I went online to see what could replace dolomite lime and other lime sources you have mentioned I found that ground oyster shells are also good for changing the PH. Since I never thought about adding anything to correct the PH in my used EB's before this thread you really got me thinking and researching! I've had EB's for years but usually change half the soil every two years in each box so my PH has probably been OK since the plants seem to do well. The EB soil taken out is a great amendment for my regular garden soil (makes it lighter and more water soluble) as well as the compost pile. But it would be cheaper to cut back on that exchanging every two years.
Wouldn't ground oyster shells be pretty cheap in Florida? I think I will continue to add my regular amendments but will also check the PH before next spring. I see that some types of lime work faster than others which must be taken into consideration so as not to burn new seedlings before the PH has been adjusted. I have a lot of hydrated lime but see one must be careful about adding too much of that. Boy this really is a science! Yikes! Jessica

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I purchased a PH meter at Lowes and therefore eliminated any guessing on my part. As far as lime is concerned, dolomite that is, it contains much higher contents of minerals, will not burn and dissolves slowly. Only about a cup or so is needed each season. My good buddy Flip (aries 44) found me some down his way and I will certainly stock up on it. Sea shells, even ground up, would take years to break down and be of little value although a good idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.