Ninebark & boxwood cutting?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

In late summer, I took about 10 cutting of Ninebark, and of boxwood. I put rooting hormone on them. (rooting hormone may have been too old) I put these in mix of potting soil and coarse sand. Kept the soil moist, but no Roots formed on them yet. Boxwood still looks healthy, Ninebark has no more leaves, but I keep hoping to see life coming from them. I have them in the house since October, in a sunny window. Is it normal for them to take this long to root?
Two years ago I started boxwood cutting directly in the ground in the spring, and I have a few plants from them. It worked, but now I can't seem to get these babies going in pots? What do you expert think? Should I keep hoping? Could it be that, I took the cuttings to late in the season? Any advise you can give me, will be very appreciated. Thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not an expert on cuttings, but at least on the boxwood if you had good luck in the spring and you're not having luck now, my guess is spring is a better time of year to do the cuttings. But if your cuttings still look healthy there's no harm in giving them some more time, it could be they'll still root but will take longer than the springtime cuttings did.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks ecrane3, I checked my Ninebark yesterday, one had roots on it, but the rest, of those cuttings are black in the bottom, still hard though. I'll leave the boxwood alone. will wait until spring and see what gives.

Kyle, TX(Zone 8b)

I have done very well with boxwood!! They root easily with soft wood cuttings in spring, Dip&Gro 1 to 3 thousand ppm, mist or poly cover, about 6 weeks. The 9 bark I am not familiar with. I think you may have been too late with your cuttings. Gene

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I believe your right my being to late with my cuttings. Because I did succeed with boxwood in spring. I will try my Ninebark again in spring and see how that goes.

Kyle, TX(Zone 8b)

Burn_2007
I received 3 ninebark cuttings about a month and a half ago in a trade and none of them rooted. I quote from Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. "Propagation: Cuttings, easily propagated from softwood cuttings taken in summer, such cuttings rooted better in sand:peat than in sand, and better at 60 F than 70 F; November cuttings rooted 80% in 53 days without treatment. Probably better to not treat cuttings (best rooting) for IBA-treated cuttings rooted poorly. Seeds germinate readily without preteatment." Dirr does his work in Athens, GA HTH Gene

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Gene, that was good information. It's been way more then 53 days already. They were treated with hormone powder. From your research, early summer would be better then spring. I'll go with that.
Bern

Fulton, MO

I have rooted 'Diablo' ninebark with little trouble from late spring cuttings, Rootone or 1000 ppm IBA quickdip, 50:50 perlite:peat, mist. I agree with the advice to try again in 6 months.

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

I have a ques tion about rooting chrysanthemum cuttings and I think you a ll have answered it. Hope I am not OT . My niece brought a chrysanthemum she had grown from a cutting to me at Thanksgiving. It bloomed for 4 to 6 weeks in the pot in my house. Now the blooms are gone but there is new growth so will I be better off to wait until late spring to take cuttings?

I have tried to root boxwood in pots before and no l luck. Now I am going to stick some
in the ground this summer.

Thanks all

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Indynanny, I've tried a lot of different flower cutting in the past, but never tried chrysanthemum, I would try some cuttings now, if there were some older shoots (soft wood) , that haven't flower, just to see if it worked. As for the new shoot, I'd let them get stronger a bit, before I'd try them.

There is still a lot of things, I want to try to root from my garden next spring. Hydrangea, Ninebark, lavender, roses clematis and the list goes on...... Just for the fun of it.

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

burn_2007
I have done lavender cuttings, they rooted well in water and grew last summer so I was able to plant them out late and they look fine. I'm hoping our cold is not going to kill them. A few years ago I rooted a Cherry Meidiland rose and now I have 3 plants. I layed a hydrangea branch on the ground and planted it last year. It had one bloom ; I'm hoping it will live and grow this year. I think a little animal ate some bark off in the fall so I am holding my breath. I t is so much fun to make new plants. Like you say , just for the fun of it.
Veronica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.