Planted too late? Or am I worrying too much?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Greetings ~

I did search the forum but didn't see anything that sounded like this...any words of wisdom or consolations appeciated.

All my other fruit trees (semi-dwarf apples, a nectarine and a cherry tree) were planted in the early spring. Except for rabbit depredations before I knew to wrap the trunks, everything has survived surprisingly well here in the desert. So I thought I would try some fall planting. My understanding is that you plant out in the fall when it has become cold (flirting with freezing at night), but before the ground becomes frozen. This would be the beginning of November for us - with winter following very quickly. Due to various weather delays, our latest trees (3 grafted semi dwarf apples and 3 (looks like grafted) standard pear trees) did not arrive until well into the end of November. Days were/are still above freezing, but nights are in the low 20*F range and have hit the teens a few times and will do so again this weekend. Do you think they will make it? They are all less than an inch in diameter. I double wrapped the graft and wrapped the trunks from ground to about 3 ft hight. We don't get much snow here - just lots of sunny but very cold days. They are in a semi-protected area from wind. We water throughout the winter, about once a week and any time it looks like it will get above freezing for a half a day or more. They look so tiny and helpless. Is there anything else I can do to help them? Should I fetilize? If so, with what? Or -- Am I just lacking faith?

Thanks! -Karla

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Most apples and pears are pretty winter-hardy. It seems to me that you're doing everything you should be. You don't want to protect them to the point that they break dormancy before they should in spring, or fertilize. Let them remain dormant and wait for spring.

I planted a new apple tree late last fall in a zone colder than yours, and it leafed right out in the spring.

Baltimore, MD

Karla, don't worry. I have planted many trees this time of year and they do fine. The ground will not freeze with a couple 20F nights, it takes more than that. Do not protect them. They can take to 0F or lower. Do not water too much either, you don't want them to get diseases on the roots. Do not fertilize until the spring.

Scott

Thanks so much! I will have faith and wait for spring! I'll try and refrain from "over mothering."

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi Guys,

When is the best time to plant Gooseberries?

Also, do I break open the seed pod and just drop the seeds into the hole?

What soil would I put in the hole to start them?

Thanks,

Debi

Sorry, don't know about gooseberries, but my trees all survived winter and started leafing out last week :-)

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

How wonderful it is to see them thrive!

Baltimore, MD

Debi, what we call gooseberries up north are grown from cuttings and there is no seed pod on them. It sounds like you are talking about a different plant which I do not know.

Scott

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hey Scott,

Well that is what I was told they were.

Can you have a look and let me know what you think they may be.

Thanks,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Baltimore, MD

Maybe that is a Cape Gooseberry? If so, treat them just like you would tomatoes. They are more low and wide growing but otherwise are quite similar.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.