CHeap sofa VS LazBoy for a thousand bucks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Is it worth an extra few hundred? It seems to have the same construction, for example, the back and forth wavy wire in the bottom of the sofa and not the expensive hand tied coils. Anybody feel you get value when you pay more for a sofa? I'm so cheap. Then again, I hate to throw anything out so I would probably have to live with a crappie sofa longer than normal.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I will be watching this thread closely. I know very little about "quality" furniture.

We need to get new furniture. I am in the market for leather seating for a living room - am considering arm chairs, couches, loveseats. I, too, like a bargain, but I need to find something that will not aggravate my lower back issues...

I like my sister's leather sofa but my kids are vetoing it for us.
I am unhappy with the last sofa I bought for downstairs. Big fluffy back things that sag, fabric starting to pill, an edge loose on the arm. I think it was $750 several yrs ago. Hmmm, I should take that as a hint and spend more this time.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Ours is a hand-me-down cloth upholstered couch which I suspect was fairly expensive when new, but it sags too much now and hurts my back. I'd rather have a good leather couch by the time we bring home the pupster in March ... imo leather wipes down easily for cleaning, hides stains better, and gains "character" with wear & tear. The cloth-covered couch that we have now is looking two-toned thanks to the dog lying up against it for years -- not pretty!

What don't the chiddddren like about leather?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Sallyg, I'm ignorant. Are lazyboys (sp?) expensive?

I have been looking at this site and thinking about taking the plunge ... unless someone has a better suggestion: http://uptownleather.com/category/15/

The sofa I like at Lazboy is about a thousand, but there are lots of sofas in ads for less. Add a chair and ottoman and we're over 2 K. I know the pupperoni will spend some time on it too. The cheapo side of me is thinking I shouldn't expect anything to last too long. Hey I'm just a whiner.
The kids think leather will be 'cold' and slippery. I used to think that so I understand. That site has a lot of nice looking pieces.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I will never have another leather sofa. It's uncomfortable and sticky in the summer. And, Sally, pupperoni's claws will poke and scratch the leather to pieces.

Look underneath before you buy any sofa and see what kind of framing it has. That and the durability of the fabric are the most important things, I think. I really like this nubby chenile on the sofa we have now. It has worn well, holds up to claws and is easy to clean.

Found this article - I think it will help.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/19654/tips_for_shopping_for_a_quality_sofa.html

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, it really depends on the quality / grade of the leather. For example, a saddle, bridle and other horse tack take quite a beating and last for years while continuing to look good. Same is true with leather upholstery. Certain leathers will actually look good with wear (scratches, etc.).

Having lived in a tropical climate with no a/c, the leather furniture was actually the most comfortable furniture to sit on in summer. Leather can also be warm and cozy in cool weather. Again, it comes down to making the right choices.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Maybe other dogs don't have as long claws as the ones I've had, but I had a very good leather sofa and within months it had poke marks and scratches all over it from the dog. It didn't tear but it sure did get marked up. She wasn't horsing around on the sofa either, just getting up to lay down on it.

And I hated the feel of it in summer. Maybe I have stickier sweat than you. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I bought a sofa and love seat from lazy Boy earlier this year. Overall, i am happy with them, I am just not used to the "puffy look" that most sofas now have. The pillows that came with it are fairly large, but the sofa (I chose it to be a Q-size Sofa bed) is VERY comfortable.

I chose a lovely embossed, light oatmeal color fabric. It had leaves and fern fronds on it--all the same color.

Did you know that Lazy Boy is the largest furniture retailer in the USA?
Did you know that they guarantee the framework of their furniture for LIFE!
I paid extra to have the fabric "Scotch Guarded"
For about $100 something extra bucks, you can buy a warranty on having someone come out and clean any spots off of your fabric for TEN YEARS??? That's how much they believe in this coating process.

Anyway--I know I paid for a few "extras", like--having it made into a sleep sofa was $200 extra. Plus the fabric I chose was higher priced, BUT--the WHOLE two pieces with all the amenities ran me about $2500.

I still think the pillows are too big! I had NO choice on them. They come with the sofas.

I know I took a picture. need to go find it.....Sorry! I might have deleted it.

Sally! ALWAYS buy the best you can afford! The padding around the frame is very important. You don't want to feel the wood frame through it in 10 years!

Edited to say--all the chairs and sofas come with extra arm covers. Same fabric as your furniture.

Gita

This message was edited Nov 29, 2007 7:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.