'Dan's Delight' Pitcher Plant question

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I bought this plant about a month or two ago and one of my dogs decided he would like to break one of the shoots. The top part, hood and all went into my pond, but stayed attached to the main plant by a small thread. I left it alone and two months later there are roots growing out of the inside under the hood.

My question is can I break it off where it is still attached (where the dog bit it) and then somehow make a new plant? It would seem strange to plant it upside down.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Type "o" This plant is called Dana's Delight not Dan's .....lol

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 3 different pitcher plants in a Vietnamese bowl for the last 2 to 3 years. My dog when he was a pup shredded the smallest pitcher plant and tore some tops off the other two. Anyway the two larger ones came back great and surprisingly the one I thought was a goner due to its size and the damage it had came back as well although very slow.

As for your question, you could try planting the torn part and hope for the best or let it go to see if it develops any more roots before severing it. You might try pinning it to some saucer with soil in it, if that is possible. I'm thinking air layering but it may take some ingenuity to accomplish this.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't think they can start that way. Clip what ever is left off and wait for new pitchers.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I have to wait longer now, it got warm the other day and my fish came to the plant and eat the roots....:(

I guess I'll just wait until spring and see what happens, unless someone out there has a better idea. I'm afraid to clip now that there are now visible roots.

I wish I would of got a picture for all to see, it was a vary stange site.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.