Palms in my yard

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

or...this ones for you Radman! lol I figured I might as well start a new thread as I think there are going to be a few pictures here.

Here is a "before" picture of my oldest and largest T. fortunei. I can't remember when I planted this one-but I think around 1990. It gets quite a bit of shade in that garden and I had not fertilized it in a long time, and I have never protected it from the cold. They are tough palms. I know it went down to 8 degrees one winter and probably colder than that, and when it was quite small.
This picture was taken in the spring of 2006 just before I completely renovated this garden. Took out all plants but this, a liliac and a Sabal minor that I had planted at the same time.

Thumbnail by tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is it last summer-amazing what a little fert can do huh? lol

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

and here it is this past summer. This garden did not get watered much at all-we had/have a very bad drought with record high temps and I think that it came through fine

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here it is today.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is a Butia, but I am not sure which it is. I know that it is not a capitata. Where I got it ( a palm grower in NC), I remember him saying that it was not a capitata but rarer (at least in NC) and he didn't tag his palms. I need to call him and ask him-maybe someone here has an idea

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here it is from the summer of 2006-boy, you really can see the difference in growth doing this! It is the small palm closest to the rocks edging the garden, near the red cordyline.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a Sabal that was sold as a uresana, but is not. Mistakes with the seeds, I guess, and now there are quite a few of us in the SE that thought we had uresanas and is probably a minor-although the grower thinks that the petioles on this minor are longer than normal! lol I will probably move this one. In the above picture, you can see the size of this one as well from 2006. It is the palm in the middle of the picture

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a cycad taitungensis that was planted in the summer of 2006. Made it through at least 6-7 nights of 17 degrees ok as a baby.

have to apologize for the messes in the gardens, I have not had a chance to clean out all the frozen foliage of the tropicals yet.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is an old Sabal minor that was planted at the same time as the T. fortunei-but gets quite a bit of shade. I have another one that I will show next that has always been in full sun and the difference in growth, seeding etc is quite prominent

edited to say....my bad-this is a Sabal birmingham

This message was edited Nov 27, 2007 3:56 PM

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is the S. minor that gets full sun ( and some heat from this grhouse)

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is the Sabal minor in the shade

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a not very good shot of the S. birmingham from summer of 2006. It is at the near end of the middle garden behind the brug

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

this is a Sabal x texensis

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here it is in summer of 06 , it is between the trachy and the needle palm. I am realizing that in order to do a good before and after, I should have taken the pictures from the same distance away in order to have a better comparison.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Needle palm, It is in the above picture as well from 06. Will post a picture next of another one that gets full sun and I think there is a big difference there as well.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

nice palms...

Dean_W

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is the Needle that is in full sun. Close to a grhouse as well. I sort of hesitated to put this one here, with plastic so close behind, but i can take the shears to it if it gets too close.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

thanks Dean

here is a T. fortunei-it is one of two that I planted at the same time, same size, but on either side of the front door. It will be interesting to see how they both grow as one side ( this palm) gets quite a bit more afternoon sun that the other side.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is the shadier side

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a Brahea edulis that I got as a two strap leave palm in the spring of 2006. I planted it this summer. I think it has grown pretty fast since I got it. I will be protecting this one this winter, although it has gone down to 27 degrees the other night (hence all the frozen foliage you keep seeing) and I didn't do anything to protect it yet.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Not a palm, but I thought it was worthy of a picture-this is Bambusa multiplex 'fernleaf'. Has done great through last winter. A nice small clumping bamboo

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a Dioon edule 'augustifolia'

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

sabal palmetto

have to go, will finish later

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a Livistona australis. Not sure about this one making it, but got it as a very small seedling in the spring of 2006. It grows pretty fast.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Washingtonia robusta -with the drought that we are in, I couldn't ask for a better first winter for this palm. Got planted this summer

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Trachycarpus princeps-have had it for awhile, but decided to go ahead and plant it this summer. I think it will grow faster in the ground and I will protect it for a few winters.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is the princeps in the summer of 2006

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Phoenix sylvestris planted this summer

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

chamaerops humilis I have 3 of these planted throughtout the yard-like some of the others, it is interesting to see the difference in growth due to sun or shade. This one is in shade until around 2 and then gets intense summer afternoon sun

have to go again, will finish later-hope this isn't too many palms to look at.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is another Butia-same as the other one-unknown this one gets more sun but was shaded by the leaves of a Giant Thailand EE this summer.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here it is in the summer of 06

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

another Sabal minor

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

the growth on this trachy has been amazing to me-here it is now

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

and here it was in the summer of 2006. I think it has grown about 2.5-3' in a yr and a half.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

another S. minor

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

S. palmetto

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

small C. revoluta that someone gave me that I am going to leave in the ground and see how it does here over the winter. Anyone know at what temps it will start to experience leaf burn from the cold?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

another C. humilus

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Livistona chinensis made it through last winter with leaf burn, even though I had wrapped it every night that it went down to 17, but it came back fine in the summer-fuller even.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here it is in 2006 before the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.