Franklin Park Conservatory picture tour. Part 2

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Here are some plant and flower pictures enjoy!

I liked the yellow trumpet flower, wished I had my new camera that was delivered when I got home, it has an optical zoom.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Orchids

I thought this white orchid was striking

Purple anyone?

Orchids everywhere!

More purple. Don't know what it is but It's pretty.

This Desert plant was huge. It strached over the walkway and onto this huge rock.

They had a lot of poinsettias on display but these were the most unusual ones.

Another

Same plant different shot.

Looking through the Palm house. The end!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ladygardener,

Every year there is some kind of a "new" Poinsettia.

In your pictures, the crinkled-looking one has now been around for about 3-4 years. It is called the "Winter Rose" Poinsettia,

The one with all the white splashed throughout looks like the one called "Jingle Bells".

There are so many more pretty ones!

How far are you from Baltimore? We are planning a Conservatory trip here on Sunday, Dec. 16th to the Rawlings Conservatory. Have a nice group signed up--maybe 12 of us. We will have a guided tour of the Botanical Gardens.
Then--we will go and take in all the festive X-Mas decorations on 34th Street in Hampden. Maybe grab a bite to eat?????

community/forums/t/788825/ (Mid Atlantic Forum)

Please join us if you can.

Gita

Hmmmm...WHY did this not come up as a "Hyperlink"?????

This message was edited Nov 28, 2007 8:11 PM

Gita, As the crow flies 266 miles. Just a short trip! ha ha

Thanks for the invite.

Thanks for the name of the Poinsettias, I live in a small town so they are new to me. The Conservatory had a lot of different verities they were # ed but could not find a brochure or list of the names.

I sure miss living in Pittsburgh, they have a great conservatory there, use to visit it a lot when I was a kid. And the museum was within walking distance Mom and I made a day of it!

Have a great time & Take pictures!

Chris

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chris,

Albion must be way up there! Almost 300 miles??????
We will have a few people coming from PA, but mostly the lower end of it.

I am a registered volunteer at the Rawlings Conservatory. Just have not had too many days I can give to be there. Also--quite a drive for me. Gas is now so expensive and i work also.

You can see some pictures of this place if you go to the "Mid Atlantic Forum. There is a Post about this trip and who wants to go. Also a link by Holly to her previous trip from last year at the 2006 Mum Show.
Absolutely gorgeous pictures!!!!!!!

You will be in my thoughts when we stroll along amid all the greenery.

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chris thanks again. I so enjoyed the tour. What a wonderful day it must have been for you and your family. I'm hoping to get out to the Phipps Conservatory to see the conservatory and the Chihuly exhibit . I've never been to Pittsburgh and I just love Chihuly's work. I had thought of you also for the Rawlings Conservatory trip but knew it would be far for you to travel.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks again for sharing these beautiful pictures with us!

What a wonderful trip to take during these cold Winter months.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey!!!

Holly!!! Where are you??? Need your organizational skills here!

The date is nearing fast for our Conservatory trip on the 16th.
Perhaps we all need to either commit to come or not come so we can get a head count.

What do you all say? Are you IN???

I'm in! Gita

Gita: Here is the thread I think you meant to post on. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/788825/

Thanks Shirley. I have a ? for you, I noticed you grew a Nicotiona named Marshmallow a year back, did you like it? did it smell good and did you notice the fragrance when you walked out side or did you have to come really close to the flowers to enjoy them.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/108778/

Parks have the seeds for 0.75 just wondering if I should order them.

Chris,

I did grew Nicotiana, "Marshallow" from seed. However, I planted it in my garden, instead of by a door that I exited frequently. I did not notice much of a fragrance from it. Perhaps, it might have been due to the time of day or certain weather conditions when I bent over to smell it. It certainly did not have a powerful scent that I would call intoxicating.

Everyone's sense of smell is different. Some people are more sensitive to certain smells than others. I haven't grown that particular variety again, but for 75 cents, how can you go wrong?! The flowers are still lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.