Happy Holidays AV BINGO let the game begin!

North Augusta, ON

I just can't believe it---4 outa 4---keep up the awesome calls Critter!!!!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Woohoo! Got another one

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

4out of 4!? No fair! And here I was excited about 2 out of 4....LOL

(Zone 1)

ooooh .... that's a pretty one! Love that purple center and those white petals!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Everyone keeps talking about AV Society's they got seeds from and such. What's the best society to join for Gesneriads?

(Zone 1)

Diane: I joined the Gesneriad Society a few months ago. When you join you get a little teeny packet of mixed Gesneriad Seeds. You also get their publications that come out quarterly (I think). I had difficulty getting into the forums on the website and finally gave up. I really enjoy the magazine every couple of months .... very pretty pic's and info on different Gesneriad plants. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.gesneriadsociety.org/

I've asked hubby to give me a subscription to the African Violet Society for Christmas! I just have to remind him! No seeds with the AV Society but monthly magazines full of great info and of course gorgeous photo's!

http://www.avsa.org/

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks Lin! Think I'm going to do the gesneriad one. My b-day is next month so that will be part of my present! That and renew Aroid Society memb. And I also subscribed to the Horticulture Magazine read about on one of these threads. HAppy birthday to me!

(Zone 1)

Oh, I love Philodendron's! I lurk on the Aroid forum a lot! Hoya's too! Don't post very much on either of those forums but love both of those family of plants very much!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I guess Aroids were my first love but Hoyas and Gesneriads are really giving them a run for they're money!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I should note that if somebody wins and would rather have a subscription to the Gesnariad society (perhaps because they're already an AVSA member) as a prize, that's fine with me also.

I might have to join up also... maybe when I get another AV article published (that seems appropriate!)... The first AV article (the one that ran on Thanksgiving Day) provided Bingo prizes. That added to the fun of writing it. :-)

(Zone 1)

I love your articles Critter! I wish there was some way all the AV articles could be posted on the AV forum ... at the top, like the Stickies. It sure would help newbies and oldies alike! I don't retain much for long and always go back and re-read stuff. I think the top of the AV forum would be a great spot to "park" them that would make it easy for everyone to find!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, thanks, but there's only been the one article so far... I do have others planned! I've got one in the works now on variegated foliage AVs (I remember how thrilled I was to discover such plants existed!), and I'll do some other "care" topics too (watering, propagation, etc.). I think Dave is setting up a system to make the articles easy to search by keyword, so you'll be able to pull up all the articles about African violets easily. Also, we can probably add links to the articles to our AV resource sticky.

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

I am already stuck at 1! LOL

(Zone 1)

Critter: I know you've only done one AV article so far but was hoping you would be doing more. I loved the other articles you wrote on herbs and was assuming there would be more than one for AV's too ... glad to hear there will be a series! I hope they do add links in the sticky for any and all AV articles, it sure would make them easier to find and would really be helpful reading for all of us, and especially newbies.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Ccino, don't feel bad....I'm already stuck at 0 *lol*
Goodness I hope I'm the biggest loser *lol*

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Nope... I'll be right there with you Kim! I only have one of the calls so far.
Critter needs a hat, I think!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm... no hat, but I had cranberries for lunch... did that help anyone? :-)

18. Ness' Cranberry Lace

Ness' Cranberry Lace (D. Ness) Double red-fuchsia large/variable thin white edge. Medium green, scalloped. Standard

AVSA photo from FC.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

ME! lol

(Zone 1)

I think it helped a couple of people! hee hee .... I have the cards!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

lol...my DS is here and he told me I need to PICK better! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's another tasty call with a pretty, ruffled edge!

7. Christmas Candy-O

Christmas Candy-O (5032) 08/27/1982 (S. Groeneman) Double pink/fuchsia ruffled edge. Plain. Large

FC photo courtesy of Vicki Carr

Thumbnail by critterologist
North Augusta, ON

ok Critter, I haven't got the last 2, stuck at 4, you need to start focusing again!!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

We're on a roll now Jill..........1 for 6 *lol*.......At least I'm not getting skunked now *lol*

(Zone 1)

Oooooh .... Christmas Candy-O is soooo pretty! I love that one! Looks good enough to eat just like Christmas Candy!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Both calls for today are pretty ones! Don't know which one I like best.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love that Ness' Cranberry Lace!
While I am throwing away trays of babies that never got potted up, I am already searching like Kim, to make my want list (LOL)

North Augusta, ON

Where's your dumpster Gail?? I wonder if UPS would be suspicious if I had them overnight a garbage can, to be picked up in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere......

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

LMAO
OMG That is SO awesome! I needed a good laugh like that! AWWWWW laughter......SO nice. Thank you :)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You pulled off a good one, threegardeners!
I have to go back to the other thread for Diane, but she has made a liar out of me. "Liar liar pants on fire".

I was able to get one good plant from each of the really big ones.
Here is a picture of two decent plants taken from 2 different solo cups. I can get one good plant out of most of these evidently. These in this pic aren't too bad to pot up.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Now you can see why I can't use these. They each only have one side to them or maybe two sides at best.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Some of those lopsided ones have really nice roots, though... could you break away the nearly all the leaves, just leaving the crown, and pot them up? Do you think they might grow out symmetrically then? They look so healthy!

Of course, there's also the consideration of "how many babies do you need?" I start potting up, and suddenly I realize that I have 14 plantlets of the same variety, just because the leaves produced that many healthy looking babies... and I really should have just picked the 2 or 3 best looking plantlets and tossed out the rest of them. But I get very tender hearted when it comes to baby plants! LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Critter. I have been wondering the same thing and you just answered it....just take all but the crown part and pot up. I have already thrown away a lot, but on the ones that I really like the cultivar of av I will do what you said and see what happens.

As you say, I don't want more than one or two unless it is a really good looking african violet.

Thanks again!
PS I need help sometime desperately about propagating chimeras. They are giant in size and Snowrose was going to do a tutorial and now she is not here. I got confused looking at Rob's and other places on doing it as they show about 20 good pieces to root. I was thinking more about taking one good cut out of the center???

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I seem to remember a tutorial type thread on that... I think the approach is basically to remove the crown (which is a very bold move) and re-root it as a new, smaller plant. The de-crowned plant will then start suckering like crazy, and most of the suckers should come true to the chimera parent (eg, they'll have both genetic tissue types since they'll be crown suckers).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, Dave has been improving the search engine! It usually takes me a lot longer to try to find old threads...

Here's a thread on propagating chimeras where Snowrose posted some good photos: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/657838/

(Zone 1)

Great tutorial! Thanks for that link, Critter!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

yeah for Critter! I am going there now.

****I am so happy you found this thread. That is exactly the way i wanted to do it but was scared. I asked Snowrose about 6 months ago to please make a good list of chimeras to order. They are some of the ones she showed plus she gave me Yukako, Kiwi Dazzler and (I can't remember her name.....she is variegated with purple flowers)

Now, I am going to do at least one a day until they all get propagated. Thanks for the encouragement. Our own AV people do much better tutorials than the vendors do. It makes so much more sense when Snowrose explains it.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2007 8:55 PM

(Zone 1)

Snowrose gave me an one that's a Foliage Chimera called 'Harmony's Little Stinker' that has purple flowers! It is just getting a bloom.

edited to say: My camera is making the flower look blue but it is actually purple.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2007 9:17 PM

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That is it!! Yours is great looking. Wow....we can all try together on this project (LOL)

(Zone 1)

Oh no, Not me! I'm not chopping this baby up! It's too new, give me another year at least! LOL.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow I am just checking in before bed as it is late for me to be up this late on a work night.... I more then likely will blow my chances now but I have to say that this is the first time I have this many on my card ever...LOLOLOL So Critter what ever you are wearing as a hat to call these please keep it one...LOLOLOL
Hugs,
Susan
PS Very pretty flowers...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.