Happy Holidays AV BINGO let the game begin!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Holidays!

I hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration! Happy Holiday Season is in full swing around here. Of course, there are still bulbs to be planted and plants to be settled into place on their winter light shelves... but those gardening activities will alternate with putting up lights and evergreens, baking cookies and making jam, and shopping for a few more "just right" gifts!

We have to visit and chat with each other while all this is happening, and what better way to do so than while PLAYING BINGO!

From the previous thread, here's how it works.

I posted a list of 35 African violets with holiday-themed names. The original list is here, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4201694. All players chose 15 names from the list. Those 15 names make up your Bingo "card," which was sent to Plantladylin, our cardholder this month. Thanks, Lin!

Each day, I'll randomly "call" one or more names from the list and post them on this thread. I'll keep a running list of calls at the top of this thread also, and will try to update it daily. When one of the choices on your list is called, mark it off your card. If all 15 of your choices are called, post "BINGO!" on the game thread. You must post "BINGO!" in order to win. First place goes to the first person to post a legitimate "Bingo!", second place goes to the second to post, etc.

All "Bingo!" wins will be confirmed by Lin -- she will check the list you sent her against the list of calls made. So if you think you have Bingo but three other people have already posted "Bingo,",go ahead and post also... it's possible you could still win a prize. Besides, it's fun to shout "BINGO!" regardless, LOL.

For this game, I think we will not assign prizes in any strict order. The first place winner will get first choice among the prizes. The second place winner will get to choose next, and so forth. I think it's likely that every winner will have a different idea of what the "first place" prize would be, anyway, so this should work out well.

I think we will declare a first, second, third, and possibly a fourth place winner and then offer "biggest loser" prizes. I'll make a final determination when we see how the game is working out at the end. :-)

Prizes -- Can you believe we've got 6 great prizes for this game? :-)
I have donated a 1 year subscription to AVSA as a prize. Kim has offered one of her fabulous handmade doilies.
Jannich has donated a $15 cash prize that the winner may spend as they choose, and an anonymous donor has offered a $15 gift certificate to the place of the winner's choice. Elaine (Kamikid) has offered a lovely box of AV leaves, postage paid,
and Dawna (Ccino42) will send Chirita tamiana seeds to one lucky person.

You can see a photo of the Victorian Lady that Kim has Kreated for us as a prize here, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4204578, although I hope she'll post the photo again!

Anybody else who would like to offer a prize for this game is more than welcome to do so.

Feel free to chat on this thread. Half the fun of playing is in the daily "visiting" that goes on during the game. If the thread gets too long and becomes slow to load, we'll start a second thread for the game and link to it (dial up users, please let me know if a new thread is needed & I don't realize it).

Good luck, and have fun playing!

:-)

edited to update prize list

This message was edited Dec 2, 2007 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

reserved for running list of calls made to date

22. Victorian Angel
2. Guelph's Christmas
11. Festive Holiday
15. Santa's Kiss
18. Ness' Cranberry Lace

7. Christmas Candy-O
23. Perfect Angel
12. Holiday Lights
30. Peppermint Candy
32. Rebel's Gingham Elf

24. Angel Frost
21. The Littlest Angel
28. Candy Cane
3. Volkmann's Merry Christmas
5. Christmas Carol

27. Gingersnap
8. Kiwi Christmas Cheer

This message was edited Dec 5, 2007 9:28 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

first things first.... you'll want to know the name of that AV in the photo... it's a noid! I got it from nannanavarro, and I think she calls it "Gypsy." It doesn't always bloom quite like that, but when it does it's just so striking!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

First call -- finally!!

22. Victorian Angel

Victorian Angel (8287) 07/28/1995 (S. Sorano) Semidouble rose-pink star/wide lighter edge. Medium green, plain, ovate. Standard

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

The NOID'Gypsy' is beautiful!

(Zone 1)

Oh Wow! I love that Noid ... very pretty indeed!

Ok, I'm going to peek at everybody's card and see how many of you have the first call of the game!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Dagnabit, of all the angel's I picked, that wasn't one of them......oh well

BINGO anyways *lol*

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

That is a gorgeous NOID. But then some of the nicest violets ARE noids!

One for me!!!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

hehe One for me too!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, with all those pretty pretty named AVs on the Bingo cards, I had to post a favorite noid photo at the top of this thread! I couldn't resist those stripes... they reminded me of the colors in that pink and red victorian ribbon candy!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Critter, I can see your victorian candy in that!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's a bedtime bonus call!

2. Guelph's Christmas

Guelph's Christmas (9120) 04/20/2002 (J. Brownlie/Guelph University) Semidouble-double fuchsia large frilled star/thin white-green edge. Medium green, quilted, glossy, wavy, serrated/red back. Large

(photo courtesy of Winston J. Goretsky, from First Class database)

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Well off to work for me... Maybe I should let someone else pick my flowers as once again NONE for me...LOLOLOL
Have a good day ladies..
Susan

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have that one on my card and will put that one on my wish list. Critter, I have 15 plants, 2 leaves each, NOID and some named, that I will give as a prize if you need it. This is always a great game and we all have fun reading the comments. Elaine

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Elaine, a box of leaves would make a lovely prize! Thank you!!

I know the weather is getting chilly here, but if the winner is also from the south then shipping wouldn't be an issue... and otherwise you can just watch for a break in the weather.

With four prizes donated now, I'm thinking we should also have a "Biggest Loser" prize. (Elaine, because of the way we're letting people pick prizes, this doesn't mean your leaves are necessarily the loser prize -- it could be the AVSA membership, if that hasn't been chosen.)

After the first, second, and third place "BINGO!" wins have been posted and confirmed, I'll ask how many calls are remaining on everybody's card. I won't keep posting calls until there's "one man standing," we'll just see who had the most calls left on the day the third person won. If there is a tie, then I'll post a call.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

WOO HOO!!!! BINGO!!!!

WE HAD RAIN!!! For several days we have been having some rain, Thursday, then a good bit night before last, and some late yesterday. I am so thankful!!!

What beautiful AV pictures, Jill! Love the stripes and the ruffles!!! You certainly put some beauties on the list!!

Good luck everyone! Have fun! I know I will! BONUS calls and pictures!!! I love it!

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

OR the biggest loser prize could be seeds from Chirita Tamiana - which I would like to donate. I will even pay the postage!

Dawna

(Zone 1)

Janet: So happy y'all are finally getting a bit of much needed rain! It will still take a lot more to make up for that deficit but every little bit helps. It has been so very dry up your way! We've been on watering restrictions for many years here in our area but I can't imagine not being able to water at all! Some areas of Florida are on more stringent restrictions than we have in my county. We are back to two days a week for irrigating lawns. It's still a lot dryer than normal .... a couple of weeks ago we were under fire warnings for a day or two because the temp's had dropped and the humidity was very low and it was so dry. Had a nice shower a couple of days ago!

Well, I am outta here .... got to mow the lawn!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Mow the lawn......wow that's AWESOME.
I gotta go out and start the car early so the frost thaws *lmao*

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh! Another prize! Chirita seeds!! Thank you, Dawna, I'll put those on the list. :-)

Good reminder, too... Elaine, before I put your leaf box prize on the list at the top of the thread, would you like the winner to pay postage for sending the leaves, or is that included in the prize?

Janet, I'm glad you're finally getting rain. We finally had enough the week before we left for NC that I was able to do some tilling out back (before, my little tiller just bounced around) for my new daff bulbs... Now I have to get out there and plant this week, before the temps drop!!

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

WOOHOO and the game has begun!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I will pay the postage. The leaves are not very heavy and I will be glad to do it. Elaine

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Critter and I never feel like leaves are a loser since you can never have too many leaves. I like the way you are doing this because a couple of times the winner in succession already had that prise.Thank you for doing this. Elaine

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, thanks! I just didn't want to assume... :-)

Wow, we have 5 prizes now for this game!

I know, everybody wants to know when I'm going to post the next call.... Well, I am sitting on the couch with my laptop, and I have a purring kitten in my lap. The dice (my random way of making the next call) and the computer with First Class are in the other room. You wouldn't want me to dump this sweet kitty onto the floor, just so I could post a Bingo call, now would you?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

What a sweet kitty. I have one named Kami which is white and a grey and white that love to be pet and loved. And of course we would never expect you to dump a kitty just to call a new bingo name. We all love our animals so much and they become a real part of the family.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I was going to attach a photo of the cats.

Thumbnail by Kamikid
North Augusta, ON

Don't dump the kitty on our account---just this morning DH asked me if there was a pot of coffee, I looked purposefully at the sleeping puppy in my lap and DH said "never mind, I'll make it"---LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFL! I was sure the next post was going to say, "Dump the kitty!" I should've known better... too much loving holiday spirit in this forum!

Speaking of holiday spirit, our next call is:

11. Festive Holiday

Festive Holiday (8239) 07/28/1995 (S. Sorano) Semidouble white pansy/variable red edge. Mosaic variegated light green, ovate, quilted. Standard

Linda Rowe contributed this bloom closeup photo to the FC database.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and the mosaic variegation on the leaves of Festive Holiday is so pretty, I had to show this photo from The Violet Gallery (also from FC) too!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Goodness, I may just be the biggest loser *lol*.........so far 0 for 3 *lol*

(Zone 1)

You'll catch up Kim .... Just wait. Sometimes you will have absolutely nothing and then all of a sudden you start getting every call!

Oh Critter, Eliot is so cute .... he has really grown!

Kamikid: I love Kami and your other kitter too! We have 4 in our household at the moment! All with very different personalities too!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Kim, I'll see if I can't catch a few ESP vibes from you for the next call... blow on my dice... ;-)

Kami is a sweet looking kitty!

Eliot is definitely a "catling" now, not just a "kitten" any longer. I'd tell you what kind of mischief he can be, but he's back in my lap purring and looking oh, so angelic. Butter would not melt in his mouth.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

*huffing, and puffing* hope I don't blow your house down *lol*

Plano, TX

this is fun--play bingo and learn about african violets--didn't know there were so many kinds ---now i know what to ask for at christmas!!

(Zone 1)

Planolinda: You will be hooked in no time! It all begins with ..... one little plant! And, then you buy one more, then you root a few leaves, then you make some trades here with these great gal's, then you win Bingo and have more plants to add to your growing collection!

Welcome Aboard the Gessie Train!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

*lol* now Lin you are making me laugh so hard! I really need a good chuckle :)

Plano, TX

if i get hooked like i did on gardening this summer--watch out!!! when it was time to move plants in i filled the atrium to the max--------well---maybe i could fit in one more african violet -ha ha

(Zone 1)

Ooooh, Atrium?? I want an Atrium!!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Well, darnit I missed another one!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Tonight's call, made by my friend Theresa:

15. Santa's Kiss

Santa's Kiss (Lyon) Semidouble white fluted star/light fuchsia edge, variable green tips. Variegated medium green and white. Standard

Photo by Bob Lombard, from FC

*smooch*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.