Need a little help from my friends with plant IDs

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

We just got back from visiting my DS and DDIL's new house on the South Shore of Boston. Whoever lived there before took great care with the plantings and I could identify some of them. But there were some I couldn't ID--maybe because I live in a colder zone where they are not commonly grown, maybe because it was the end of November and not much was left on the plants, probably because I just know the plants I personally grow. Anyway, I took some photos and was hoping the experts out there could help. This is their first house and they are fairly clueless about gardening. They are very excited about the house and eager to make it beautiful. I'm afraid they may just pull out some valuable stuff. So here are a series of photos. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

The first 3 are of a pretty large shrub, maybe 6 feet tall. I'm guessing some kind of andromeda. There were dripping green berries which could have been flowers a few months back.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

2nd pic of first shrub.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

3rd pic, closeup of berries, of first shrub.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Second shrub. This was about 2 feet high. Very pretty pink and green leaves. The first pic was taken by DS in late June before they even bought the house. It looks like there are pink flowers but it's hard to tell.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Second shrub, 2nd pic. The way it looked last week.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Second shrub, 3rd pic. Closeup of leaves.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Third shrub, 1st pic. Maybe 1 1/2 feet high. This was on an overgrown bank. I'm not sure if it got deliberately planted or not but seemed like someone had placed it.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Third shrub, 2nd pic, closeup.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Fourth shrub. This was on the same overgrown bank, probably about 2 or 3 feet. Very pretty leaves.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Fourth shrub. Closeup of leaves.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Fifth shrub. This was 3 to 4 feet.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Fifth shrub--closeup. This is the last photo in the series. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Thumbnail by bebop2
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

1. Andromeda
2. Azalea is my best guess
3. Azalea again
4. ?
5. ? the last photo does remind me of the way azaleas grow.

Good luck!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree with Pirl on 1, 2 and 5. Don't think 3 is an Azalea, but not sure what it is - looks weedy. 4 looks like it could be a Viburnum.

3 is not an Azalea. Must have been a blonde moment - sorry.

(Zone 4a)

pirl you have a lot of those LOL Kidding!! You are just too cute!

I do.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I had two bushes at our previous Wallingford home (the town, not your pet house YankeeCat!) which looked exactly like your bush #1 (not Bush #2 currently in D.C.). I always thought they were Pieris japonica and Andromeda were called Bog Rosemary. To check I looked them up in Plantfiles, and lo and behold, Pieris are also called Marsh Andromeda there. You learn something new every day in DG!

I had been toying with the idea of getting one of the new varieties with red spring leaves, but for some reason the DW does not approve. (P.S. Maybe I'll hide it in the wood patch. Shhh. )

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks to Pirl, Victor and Don. This is really helpful. I thought #3 looked weedy also but because the whole bank had not been weeded, it was hard to tell who was supposed to be there and who had intruded. Pirl, as far as I am concerned, blonde moments are a fact of life. I don't even trust people who don't have them!

What a fun spring to look forward to, not knowing what will be blooming.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I used to have Blond moments. Now all my moments are bald.

Blond roots are there!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Blond moments are us!!! Yahoo.......love that perspective of not trusting people who don't have them, Bebop!!

My advice from past experience is to have your DS and DDIL wait until they've gone through the spring at least to see what blooms, etc. When I bought my first single-parent house years ago, someone advised me to wait, and I was so glad I did. There were wonderful blooming plants that I would have taken for weeds when I moved into the house. How exciting for your "kids", Bebop!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.