Organic source of humic acid, fulvic acid?

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I FINALLY managed to find the results of my soil test from 2005. The gist was that the soil is really pretty good, but would benefit from the addition of humic acid and fulvic acid. I've done a quick Google and most of what I'm seeing is stuff I'm not sure is organic. Is there an organic soil amendment that's high in humic and fulvic acid? I gather that peat is but I don't want to use that non-renewable (actually very slowly renewing) resource. Or are we just talking that I need to add compost?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

here ya go http://www.biconet.com/soil/humicAcid.html

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep. That was one of the first hits I got. However, it's for application as a foliar feed rather than a soil amendment. Thanks, though!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Just adding compost was my first thought, Spidra, although - at best - it's only a semi-educated guess. If you found any plants that take up those two components or produce it, perhaps you could add them to your compost? Does it give amounts needed? I'm assuming it's just trace amounts - ? Another question would be what those substances do for plants, and is it all plants?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I would wish that the soil tester gave some information on these, two things I have never heard of.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

sallyg, contact your local extension agent. They should be able to help you get that information. When I googled for information on what the heck that was, they appears to be trace elements. Who did your soil test? You certainly should be able to get your questions answered and explanation.

Greensboro, AL

humic/fulvic acids are soil humates. They refer to organic matter in the soil. the best way to get humus in the soil is to grow a cover crop on it.
Otherwise add manure/compost/ and/or any other organic matter you can find.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0116305312130.html

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

well i should mention the back to nature's , nature's blend with alfalfa and humate. the local nursery bought a couple pallets at a show and it never sold so they sold me the whole lot for $2 a bag plus numerous free busted bags. i've spread it everywhere and still have several bags left. just a fine powdered black compost looking stuff. i can't say that i've seen any miracles with it though. http://backtonaturecompost.com/specialblend.html

just for clarification- the original asker was spidra.
My local ag ext doesn't put those two things on the test results- at least not time I had it done.

Sorry, sallyg............spidra same questions? Who did the tests and if it's already 2 years old, I'm not sure that's even valid. Weird..

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

The soil sample was analyzed by A&L Western Agricultural Laboratories via Trees of Antiquity. It measured organic matter, phosphorus Weak Bray, Phosphorus NaHCO3-P, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium, and Sulfur. And pH. I was given the graphical soil analysis report and then there was a cover letter with the synopsis from Trees of Antiquity. I was told that very few modifications are require. My organic matter was 4.9 % and the ideal range is between 2 and 5%. The pH of 6.7 was a good level for fruit trees (which is what I was buying from Trees of Antiquity).

"The addition of some humic acid should help provide a stimulant to the soil allowing the phosphorus and sulfur to become immediately available to the plants. The percent of cation saturation looks great."

The Cation Saturation graph showed 4.6% Potassium (ideal range 2-5%), 10.8% Magnesium (ideal range 10 -15%) 79.2% Calcium (ideal range 60-75%) and 0.9 of Sodium.

This all looks good to me. The biggest problem with my soil here is tilth. I don't produce compost at the fastest rate and I'm too disabled to load up the free manure and compost I could get around these parts. So it's slow going.

As for humic acid being about organic matter, well... the test said the organic matter content was good. What I've read online about humic acid indicates that it's high in peat and charcoal. Things that are aged plant material. So I feel like it's more than just adding compost. It's adding plant materials that have been aged and pressurized in a certain way. Peat being a pretty endangered product, I think I'd feel better about finding some source of charcoal somewhere. When my landscaper added some soil to the raised beds, he added a bit of what seems to be charcoal. Of course, that's just the raised beds, which weren't tested.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I think the Back to Nature stuff might do the trick, Len.

Greensboro, AL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid

Spidra: I think you are trying to make a precise chemical recipe out of what is actually a natural process. You can spend a lot of money adding a capful of this, and a dropper ful of that to your soil. But, that's not the way soil works naturally. Most soil is made productive by adding organic matter to it. The best way to do that is to grow something on it (that is the definition of organic). Humic/fulvic acids are a natural product of the rhizosphere of plants, not something you add with an eye dropper.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

gloria, spidra will have a hard time using a cap or eyedropper with the back to nature products.

LOL, Len >bonk< .

Spidra, I think overall it sounds like your soil is good! You really can work this thing to the ground (totally intentional pun).... should you have any neighbors who might be picking up any of that compost, you should rope 'em in with some cookies.... works wonders!

Your soil sounds fine. What type of fruit trees are you looking to plant? I have both Bosc and Schekel(sp?) pears, we're talking about replacing our apple trees( they just pooped out from old age) with new dwarfs and maybe add another schekel. I'd love to have Barletts, but we have cedar apple rust here and it killed the last 2 I planted, so that's a no go. We're also going to replant black walnuts, and maybe some almonds. This is not a real large area so we are trying to go for the dwarf type trees. Just make sure you protect the young trees from critters the first year. If these are going to be standards then you also might want to consider using stakes to train their them to grow straight.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

My hands are in bad shape right now so instead of typing the whole list, I'll let you browse here:

http://www.myfolia.com/gardener/spidra

I'm getting some cherries and more apricots in bareroot in January.

Mmm... apricots.... the perfect tree, in my eyes - beautiful blooms, beautiful fruit and tastes *so* good compared to the carp you get in the stores.

Greensboro, AL

carp? No comparison, I agree.

>smile<

Picked up the term 'carp' from Wrightie so I don't trip the family-friendly-language police. Still smarting from my previous reprimand!

But, in my defense, store bought apricots could be made from carp, compared to home grown, freshly picked this morning apricots!

I have never tasted a fresh apricot. Am I weird? They don't seem that popular here in stores. Or carp, for that matter.

Greensboro, AL

Sallyg. To eat a fresh ripe apricot is one of the pleasures of living on this earth. Especially with the right glass of wine and some camembert cheese.

I'll make a note to self. I can probably get fresh apricots AND carp at the Korean grocery. Good produce.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

isn't carp the fish that tastes like crap pie?

could be. There's a lot of stuff for sale to eat at the KG that I wouldn't touch, no offense.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

oops! sorry i meant crappie! lol!

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

pagancat, just use crappie. another fish, but then no one will think you transposed the letters.
eg., tastes pretty crappie to me.

crap pie- I am still chuckling!!!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

sallyg it is crappie!

Len, as I've stated before, you're cute, but rather transparent!

Did you know that Koi is a type of carp?

I just broke out a brick of Stilton cheese with apricots in it. It is *really* good. Thank you, Costco.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i think of heard that koi is a type of carp but i don't really eat that much fish. but for the record crappie really is good. at least that that my uncle caught and aunt cooked. I'm usually reluctant to eat fish, because when i get to that "fishy" tasting stuff i can't eat anymore. I think they named it crappie so people wouldn't eat them all to extinction.
and the cheese with apricots really does sound good. i don't have any and can't think of anything that i might have to substitute!lol

These would make a lot of pies Oh I forgot, these are CARP

This message was edited Nov 27, 2007 11:30 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

lol sally! i hope they're just overcrowded because it's feeding time!lol! otherwise they might turn into walking catfish and start looking for less populated waters. by the way what ever happened to those invasive wc that i learned about in the weekly reader in grammer school? they still around?lol

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I was browsing through my first seed catalog tonight and something called SOIL SYRUP was for sale.It says the humic acid improves soil structure and increases nutrient uptake for all plants. Makes fertilizer more effective. Use at least every 2 months as a foliar or soil spray. www.totallytomato.com.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

They also have a product called Hasta-grow.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

next they'll be selling landfill compost. lol!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Len,

Where I live they sell a product called Dillo Dirt. It is Sludge from sewer plants that has been treated in some way. Though it is not recommended for food crops.

I once saw a show on the Discovery Channel called Dirty Jobs. It was in San Fransico, where they were collecting all sorts of paper products from garbage and food scraps. They would take all of this wrap it in black plastic at the landfill and let it heat up. Afterwards, they had a fine rich black compost. They would either sale or give to a local winery, I can't remember. The winery used organic gardening methods and would spreda it around there vines.

Dean_W

Those 'carp' are at the Nat'l Arboretum in Wash DC, and they have the machine that dispenses food pellets to toss in the pool. Dogs allowed too, on leash.

The invasive catfish- the ones in Crofton MD a couple of years ago? I know where the pond is. It was big ol' news around here. Snakeheads- thats what they were. They killed all the fish in the pond, only to find adults already living in local rivers, so they've been here awhile before anybody officially knew.

I remember that brouhaha, Sallyg. Haven't seen anything lately, but I remember a brief blurb on Channel 4 about finding some in the Potomac, which ain't good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.