Seed Swap Thank You's for Illoquin

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

oooooooooo.....pretttttyyyyyy..... How come I always seem to find the enablers here - LOL??

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Wind If it's not too late, throw some insulation over Pooh in the garden....leaves, straw, anything.

People in Zone 7 and 8 can leave them down over winter, and if your winter has been like ours, you ahven't even hit zero yet!

Dryad, I am a bad influence! Ask anybody :))

Suzy

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Pooh's gone....was 2 seasons ago :(
the weather is warm here 61 deg. today! I was wondering if I had started my WS containers what would happen on days like this (germination?)

but here's an idea....if you get into Dahlias Suzy you can host a tuber swap!!!!!!!!! How's that for me offering up your services!! Your seeds swaps are a huge success :))))))))

My cousin planted 99 diff dahlias last yr and I have a bunch too. He dosn't do swaps or shows though. But I could twist his arm I bet. I have several boxes full in the basement now. But I guess the postage would be high as tubers are heavy.

PC, You asked a question I didn't answer here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4281998

because I didn't know the name of the group. Turns out I *did* know the name of the group. It's "Ya'll". That is the name of the group. I thought DD#2 was pretending she turned into a Southern Belle in the week she was there with a southern drawl.

They made the front page of the IDS (She is not pictured)
http://www.idsnews.com/news/index.aspx

Suzy

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Suzy,
What a wonderful thing that your daughter and her fellow classmates did. I bet she's alot like her mom :0) Kind, generous, organzied and funny.

Wind-
Flat rate boxes my dear, only $8.95 and can weigh up to 70 pounds. Where there is a will there is a way! Best of all the boxes are free from USPS, they will even deliver them to your door http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820

I'm up for a dahlia coop or swap! Rachel

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

and those boxes are nice and sturdy too - and free!!

(Suzy, I thought of your kids last night as I was separating out the Snapdragon seeds and making the little wax-paper packets and wondering "how many did Suzy get her kids to do?!?!!?")

This message was edited Jan 8, 2008 10:18 AM

LOL! Rachel, you forgot smart and beautiful! (She has a real nice scholarship & got straight As her first semester!) But you're right, it was nice of them...kids that age have a real energy about them.

She painted the house they showed, but she didn't paint the porch, that shows inthe pic. The people were dirt poor, and yet they managed to serve a real Cajun lunch of beans and rice or gumbo or somethings to 160 kids. Or was it 60? I don't remember, but it was an incredible effort and expense, so she also learned that.

Yes it's true about the flat rate boxes....how many people could actually fill a flat rate box, tho? Um, I know I could. LOL! But I don't need or want any more dahlias...those things are big and need to be staked once, twice THREE times in the season. Plus, they needto be deadheaded. I hate walking through my beds that much and compressing the soil.

Suzy

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Ah, see - my (and my sis's) dahlias are in narrow borders, not in our beds! As for the box, if you don't have enough to fill it you can fill the extra with paper - so long as you're sure that the flat-rate price is still a better deal than another shipping method. (There have been times I've opted to ship that way as I like their boxes and the convenience...).

Another thing we could consider for us dahlia folk is proximity of other dahlia folk. I know Suzy doesn't want more, but there are some other DGers nearby me, and my sis, and one shipment to me could end up being divvied out to others nearby, and I could get theirs to ship as well. That's a lot of coordination though, so we'd have to think that through before we hopped on that express :)

Since you're chatting about dahlias..may I please ask for just a few tips to enhance their success in my garden? I do like the narrow strip idea.

Dryad~ I am not stalking you, just meeting you in the garden, since this is my 2nd post after you this AM! ;0)

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

G6 - we must have the same schedule today - LOL! I would be happy to give you tips, but I have none - pure luck. This is the first year I'd ever put any in, so I'm still learning at the elbow of the Illustrious Illoquin :) (And to be completely honest I've not even looked on DG yet to see what the dahlia masters here might have already posted on regular care and feeding of baby dahllies.)

Thanks Dryad~ I've read several threads re: dahlias...but sometimes you get some really neat tips that means the difference between success and disappointing blooms! ;0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.