Seed Swap Thank You's for Illoquin

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I'm sure we've all said thank you to Suzy in various threads and d-mail, but I thought it would be nice to have them all "lumped together" for her reading enjoyment!

Suzy, a standing ovation - you did a superb job of posting, organizing, packaging, and shipping out! It was so much fun to get the seed packets!

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

yes THANK YOU so much SUZY!!!!!!!! It was great, I really enjoyed it and am keeping an eye out for your next seed swap ;)

not much left to photograph flower wise right now...here's a photo for you of my silly-goose niece & nephew yesterday after they took a swan dive into the growing leaf pile!!

Thumbnail by wind
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

>clap clap clap<

Yes, thanks so much!!!! I would have pulled out my hair had I attempted sucha feat.

Thumbnail by Pagancat
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Nicely done Suzy. I hope I'm included in anything you put together!

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
(Zone 7a)

This had to be one of my favorite seed swaps of all time. And to think you apologized for not sending me anything I asked for, while I couldn't have been more delighted with what you did send. It must have taken quite a combination of sweat and telepathy to individualize everyone's envies so prolifically and well matched to wishes - both spoken and unspoken. Suzy, how much hair do you have left now - lol?

Karen

ps - I was very surprised how Ipomoea purpurea rocketed out of its tub so high into the shady saucer magnolia above - I'm sure the butterflies are hoping as much as I am for volunteers next year.

Thumbnail by bluespiral
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Suzy, thanks. I just left you feedback :)

Susan

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

How absolutely embarrassing! I just now saw this thread from a mention in a post Bluespiral made in the main thread.

So sorry and you are all very welcome and *my* thanks to you for sending such cool stuff for me to divvy up and get credit for doling out.

PC, Have you gotten your seeds (from Wrightie)?

Nobody has mentioned the Zinnia experiment -- the one with the green label. What did you think of it?

Bluespiral -- I owe you and I know it. LOL! About half your pack was just stuff for you to play Seed Fairy with, and know what I owe you, and I'll remember.

Thanks for the bouquets,

Suzy

(Zone 7a)

Suzy, anyone who can ease my conscience about moots rising and spider webs falling while I fool around with my piles of seeds and scheme away the winter with garden dreams has long ago paid up - nope, don't feel owed anything except maybe a few less trees so I can let loose with more sun lovers and maybe a few more frequent visits from the rufus-sided towhee and - oh! - no more drought, please.

Which reminds me - has anyone not yet read Karel Capek's The Gardener's Prayer? It's in this link toward the bottom: http://www.berkeleyhort.com/gardensuggestions/gs_mj07_drc.html

Every few years I like to re-read his small book, The Gardener's Year, first published in Prague in 1929 and translated into English who knows when exactly. Mr. Capek did not make it through Hitler's occupation of his country - no one knows why he disappeared, but maybe his wit had something to do with it. He is well worth searching for in www.google.com .

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks - the zinnia experiment? Well, I haven't taken the tags off, but I was aware of it. I am still sorting everything out.

And trying to read your hand writing. - could you spell it out for us? Thanks, Suzy.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Suzy, you are my hero. This whole thing was absolutely amazing and just too much fun for words. Christmas definitely came early this year. I've been thru my box 3 times, let my DDIL play with seeds, sorted them 2 different ways, and now need to put them into my seed database. But I don't want to put them away. I want to plan on where to put them in my garden, how many to plant, etc. It really isn't too early is it? Wintersowing in less than a month!! (I can't start until after the holidays...too much else going on)

Oh what fun it is to plant, la la la la la...

thanks a million
~ jan

You can't read my handwriting? LOL! I tried NOT to hand write too many of them and so they were mostly typed. The Zinnia experiment was typed -- on green paper. Then stapled to the 2 seed packs.

Suzy

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Suzy is the seed queen - we love her very much,
She sorts, stuffs and seals with her smile bright
She keeps us all on track, organzied and neat
And if we mess up she doesn't even peep!

Oh Suzy is the seed queen- we love her very much
Cosmos, Coreopisis, Calendula and Chives
Poppy, pansy, petunia and pincushion flower too
Suzy we love you for all the hardwork you do
So please don't forget us the next time you swap too!

Well now you all know why I will never be a jingle writer! Was fun making it up though!

Suzy, You are FANTABULOUS!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2007 10:53 PM

Lol! You nut! but thank you, Rachel!

Suzy

Here is a link to another brainstorm I had. It started because dd #2, whose room I use for my seed projects has decided to run down to Biloxi, Mississippi for 2 weeks before Christmas to "help rebuild" after Katrina. I put it in quotes because she is better with a blow dryer than a hammer, but hey! If they're willing to take her, it's okay with me! I will have some room to work, and I got htinking, and that leads to .....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4279758

Suzy

your 'brainstorm' sounds great...I'm not familiar with 'Stokes'...I'll look now for an online catalog and see what goodies they have :))))))))

(Zone 7a)

I only did this once a few years ago, but I busied myself with my calculator and divided amounts of seed being sold into the price they were going for. And then I compared that figure for the same seeds between different vendors. Compared to many others, Stokes came out ahead at that time. And that was just for packets. I pounced on your idea already - thank you.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Is Dd#2 going with an organization? Sounds like something I'd really like to do...

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I missed this one! THANK YOU SUZY!!

Thumbnail by dryad57

You're welcome -- pretty garden shot! Is that your garden? I love it!!!

Suzy

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

sigh - I wish - it's the Chi Botanic Garden - and it's a dahlia that's featured in this years Burpee's catalog (Dahlia Showtime). I think I'm gonna have to break down and get this one this year!

LOL! Well, its gorgeous no matter where it is! I love those collarette dahlias. Is Showtime seed or tubers, and if it's seed, is it a mix of all colors?

Suzy

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Their website only has the plants. I'm going to hold out and see if the tubers hit the shelves this year rather than ordering plants...

Rob

Do you know how to take cuttings from dahlias? And that it's fast, easy and the cuttings bloom as fast as the tubers?

So if you order one tuber (delivered in Mar) or plant (delivered in Very early April), you can have more baby rooted cuttings that are exact duplicates. Assuming you wanted more than one, that is :))

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I must come kneel at the feet of the master when it's time to take Dahlia cuttings!!

LOL! I did it this year for the first time, so no expert here....except it was so easy and fast/ They're just like any other cuttings except they need a little more heat. It's actually amazing (read: scary because I was just fooling around with it) how many you can end up with (which is why even the best and most expensive show-flower dahlias are about $3.00 each after just a couple years.)

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Egads! So, besides the tubers I have downstairs waiting for spring, and the seeds I am to sow in . . .what? three months? now you give me another way to make dahlias? Where am I going to put them all ('cause you KNOW I am going to try this! LOL)

Well, that's how I was last year, See. I ordered dahlias, I dug some up to see if I could winter them over, and I also had apack of those tall (42") singles I love so much, Bishop's Children.

So I was just goofing off, then the cuttings did really well. Even with very heavy losses in storage, and some terrible heat mat problems on some of the store bought, I still was over flowing with them!

Here is one. I know the name, But I forget it.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Dryad, The next pic after that Dahlia was Rudbeckia Choocolate Orange you might wantto see. I forgot I need 2 of those packs back (or did you leave them here)

Thumbnail by Illoquin

and right after that pic was a Four O Clock in Red that we were talking about in another thread. See how it has a pink overlay? Certainly not VW Beetle scarlet-red I was expecting.

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Illoquin - I have one rudbeckia chocolate orange (maybe from you) do you want me to send it to you?

No, There are some uncleaned ones here in the city somewhere LOL!
but you can list them and send them to the swap, or if you're in the Valentine's day swap send them there (Chocolate, get it?). They are highly collectible, but maybe not for the masses. If you really hate them and just want them out, then send them back in with your swap seeds if you want.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Suzy - I'm sure I have them - I'll be sure to bring them back with the cleaned stuff. (And your stuff!)
Robin

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I love the Rudbeckia Choocolate Orange, it's yummy!

Well, m'am, there ya go -- you can slip Rachie's name on it. :)

Rachel, If you get some seed, it was shorter than I imagined -- maybe 14"? Don't make the same mistake I made and think it will be big like Indian Summer, Cherokee Sunset, et al.

S.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 7:42 PM

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing! I will make a note about the height of them. Rachel

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

okie dokie - Rachel I'll be sure to tag a couple packets for you so Suzy has them when I take the cleaned seeds back to her.

Robin

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Robin.

dryad, if you like the dahlia 'showtime' you might like 'Pooh' it is really similar :)

this was from my garden, but I didn't dig up this tuber, must have missed it, so if I want it again I have to buy it again!!!!!

Thumbnail by wind
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous dahlia, wind, I hope you get another one :-)

Aw, that is so cute!!! And such great color, too!

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.