Morning Glories 2007 #35

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Here`s a helping hand for a new htread since it is at 112. This is another light blue double kikyo in a more single form. Karen

To go back to Morning Glories 2007 #34 go here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/790362/

Thumbnail by gardener2005

This is the bed I planted this year. This was last month.

Here it is again this morning. The purpureas are still trying but it will be al over with in the next few weeks. It grew pretty good this last month.

Karen

This is a find in the Burpee`s Best grow out. I`m going to go post results from this year right now.

Karen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Pretty good growth for it being just a month. The high here today is 41 so far, so I don't hold out much hope for many plants.

I'm working on clearing space in the garage to put up lights for seed starting during the winter. The garage stays fairly warm, but if it becomes necessary, I can plug in a heater for a bit.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Karen I like your light blue kikyo what kind of weather do you get? We went down in the 20s last night, and saw the mid 40s by afternoon. I am wishing for spring already!!!

Salem, OR

Hi, Ronnie
I thought we had warmer weather than you back east there. We were in the 20's and high of 41* today. All outdoor MGs are history. The indoor plants in the south windows are doing nicely.
Anybody:
Already asked Beth about this and she thinks 'sport of Seriyu' maybe. I got the original seeds from Cynda. What's the general opinion out there. I love it and have hand pollinated, but can't tell if seeds are forming. More buds on the way. Fingers are crossed. ID?
Renate

Thumbnail by Abbys_Oma

hi renate
i did get seriyu from cynda maybe two years ago...solid green leaf and dark blue with lighter striping for the blooms and they were not very large. I sent some seeds to Beth.
PamSue

It was 50`s at night, 70`s for day for a while. It will dip into the 40`s and go to the 60`s and then all of a sudden one day we need to run the air conditioner and then the same night bundle up, run the heater and wear slippers in the house with this crazy weather. :)

Some of the nils were stuck half bloomed frozen in time from the cold this morning but the purpureas in some areas of the garden have the buds frozen off while others are beautiful. The leaves are obviously getting nipped and some are nipped worse in areas and locations of the yard but they all still want to bloom. This will go on until that day everything gets frozen one good time and its over until next spring. This purpurea was from 11-23-07

Karen

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks y'all for all the kind words about my MG blooms/photos. I guess I am very lucky to have the warmer temps here in my area/zone so that I can continue to grow plants outdoors.

Karen - Beautiful light blue double kikyo! :-) What is the crimson/red bloom? What is the cultivar of the purpurea in the photo above?

I have a question ... I don't seem to be having much luck getting the blooms to pollinate on my Jishi. In fact, I don't even see any reproductive parts coming from the throats. Most of the blooms are doubles. Any advice on how to determine if these are sterile or am I not looking close enough or deep enough?

Also, I love your layout in your yard with the poles in the ground. How tall are the poles? Awesome idea to just set the pots right next to them and let the vines grow all over them. I like it! I need a bigger yard! LOL!

Welcome Renate! Your bloom is gorgeous! Do you grow a lot of MGs or are you new?

Nichole - Your vine looks awesome! Love that amazing bloom! To look at your vine, you'd never know it was cold there! :-)

My Blue Silk just surprised me with it's first bloom. My goodness! is it ever a beautiful bloom! I really like everything about this vine! Another vine that I know will become a favorite of mine. It took forever (over two months) for the seed to actually germinate. I just figured it was a dud, but I have had other seeds germinate MONTHS later, so I don't discount the possibilily. Good thing I waited!

This message was edited Nov 25, 2007 8:21 AM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

And here is another first bloom. It is labeled "Matsukaze".

Please correct me if I have listed any MGs that are mis-labeled.

I will be potting this one and the Blue Silk into larger pots today. And also this Mt. Fuji Pink. This small vine has just been blooming it's buds off! LOL!

Oops! Lost track of my conversation! LOL!

Here's the Matsukaze. I am battling rust again on some of my vines. Grrr ...

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Morning Everyone!

This greeted me when I stepped into my den this morning! I have it marked as Emmas FujiFrost. Does that sound about right Emma?!

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower

Oooooh, Sandy! That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Love the color and the scalloped edges! Nice one! :-)

This message was edited Nov 25, 2007 8:58 AM

I know y'all are probably tired of seeing Jishi, but I can't keep my camera away from it! LOL! Here is an above shot. Shows 2 spent blooms and 2 new blooms. Dew is on the leaves and blooms. My camera just can't seem to get the color right for the new blooms. They are really an almost solid deep purple color.

Hi Becky and everyone,

The solid magenta bloom I posted was from Burpee`s Best mix and my best guess would be kikineyou which is small flower long vine and comes in different colors.

The blue purpurea doesn`t have a name I don`t think. It is a light blue purpurea I guess? It came from a commercial pack labeled "Zeeland Hybrid" but I think these look like ipomoea purpureas and it should be ok to say color such as "light blue" but in these mixes you cannot tell if they carry for other colors without some working with them over some generations.

On your Jishi check your vine to see if single flowers appeared unnoticed toward the bottom and you already have a few pods. When you look into your blooms some will have nothing in there at all because all the reproductive parts have become petals. On some you can find the white tube called a pistil and on others you can find at least one anther of powdery pollen. Some of the very fancy doubles and mutants have a bent pistil turned and pointing downward. Use a magnifying glass if you need to. I have taken the anther and applied the pollen by pushing the anther down and underneath to get the pollen where it is supposed to go which in on top of of the pistil and got a normal pod of seeds from that. Normal pistils can be easily seen and the top has a cauliflower appearance which seems to grab and cling as the pollen is applied. The pollen is on little hairy structures with a powdery substance called pollen that can be applied to the top surface of the pistil. You can check all the flowers and kind of make a plan in your mind which pistils will get the useable pollen you have found. I`d mark any that I hand pollinated for later reference.

In my garden those were 6 foot(I believe..they were taller than me!) garden stakes for tomatoes. I found the purpureas will clamber right up the rough wood and stay put so I kept that going for this fall. I haven`t needed any string to tie them so fine with me. They got a good idea going of their own. :)

There are No blooms today for me. I woke up to the sound of pouring rain. I`m going to be forced to cut some vines early and mature the seeds putting the ends of the vines in water. The rain is threatening to the almost ripened pods so I`m getting after that today. Ya`ll have a good day!

Karen

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Beautiful blooms Karen, Nichole, Renate, Becky and Sandy.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh, Becky - I don't have any blooms right now. I used a photo from earlier this year . . . It's supposed to warm up a bit this week, so maybe my I. coccinea var. aurantia will still have time to bloom . . . .

Sandy, beautiful bloom!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Sandy I love your Fuji frost!!

Becky we will never tire of any of your flowers especially us Northerners!!

Salem, OR

Hi, Becky...thanks for the welcome! I'm still wet behind the ears. But, very excited to learn from all you seasoned experts! How could anybody be tired of looking at the fantastic Jishi of yours??? Hope you get it to pollinate.
Patootie: Thanks for the kind words. Every bloom is like a surprise gift! I love these things!

All you lovely morning glory people: I bought some seeds from on ebay 'fuchsia morning glories' and the seeds came in a little packet that I thought were covered in spider webs. I read someplace some seeds come from the pod that way. ?

ALSO: MY BRAIN CELLS ARE DYING! SOMEBODY OUT THERE WANTED SOME OF MY AKAHIGEZAKI SEEDS. WHEN I CHANGED SCREENS, THE EMAILS I HAD DISAPPEARED. If that was you, Please dmail me or post on here. They're ready to go, but don't know where to send them.

Houston, TX

Recently there are lots of nice JMG seeds being sold in Japan. The prices are low so I`m stocking up.

I will be offering some very rare JMG seeds that`s not available in USA ect... for a small gift item from USA if you want to participate. Dmail me if you are interested. TTYL

Dee

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

This is nice.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

Will be a hot seller.

Thumbnail by MGJapan

Oh my! Those are amazing! I noticed the speckling inside the tube. I saw speckles inside the throat on a solid color flower I grew. I also have seen stripes going into the throat on another one in the Special Mix. There seems no end to amusement with these morning glories!

Karen

Houston, TX

Thanks Karen,

Yes, I grew a lot this past season and can ID most of the regular Japanese cutivars. The ones from the mix packs produced some amazing flowers and I traded a few this year here in Japan. TTYL

Dee

Thanks Jackie, Ronnie, and Nichole!

Lol about my blunder of thinking your MGs were blooming outside in the cold temps, Nichole! Just know I was hoping for your sake that it was true! :-)

Dee - Lovely blooms! Thanks for showing us photos! It must be such fun purchasing and growing out the MG seeds from all the new selections offered in Japan!

Karen - Thanks for confirming the possibility of the Jishi blooms being sterile. I am thinking that may be the case for most of them. I am mad at myself for not hand pollinating the single flower bloom that I had 2 days ago. Grrr... That won't happen again!

Salem, OR

Dee....Yes, I am most interested. Please keep me in mind for such trading. Your pictures are breathtaking.Pictures of blooms in post 4225592 and 4225596 post are especially appealing to me, but all are beautiful
Regards from Renate in Oregon

Houston, TX

Konichiwa,

Thanks for the comments and to those wanting to participate in trading with me. I`ll get back to you and those that sent me d-mails ASAP with details of this trade.

Some of you guys are already on my xmas list so we`ll deal with that so don`t worry.

Gardener2005/Karen I`m sending you some cactus morning glory seeds for grow out.

I was off today and will be online for a little while.

Thumbnail by MGJapan

We are grinning ear to ear.:)

I love those. We will care for them like they are our pets! Thanks so much,

Karen and Paul

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I got a Seiryu today...first thing this morning in the grow room. This one isn't all split like the first bloom was.

CORRECTED!!! It's SEIUN

I didn't pull the tag out far enough to read the whole word!

This message was edited Nov 26, 2007 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

Beth,

That`s a very pretty blue and delicate flower. You are making me want to grow inside. Keep posting your beautiful flowers so I will get on the job asap!

Karen

I really enjoy the ones grown inside because the blooms just stay open all day! I know it's hard to dedicate the space to a grow room, but it's very rewarding.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Beth, very beautiful Seiryu

I sure hope it's Seiryu, at least that's what the tag says! I'll be looking for striping in later blooms.

OOPS! My bad! It's Seiun. I didn't pull the tag far enough out of the dirt to read the whole name. LOL!

I wouldn't want to lead anyone astray in the ID department, sorry!

This message was edited Nov 26, 2007 1:39 PM

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I would really like to have a few seeds of this one....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4229596

whoever is the one that worked out the trade with Dee please contact me thru DGMail to see if we could work out a trade once you have them!

Sandy

i agree that the speckled blue is nice...

PamSue

Greenwich, OH

:Beautiful! m.glory blooms.I like the second mg and speckled blue mg.

Greenwich, OH

Beautiful!mg Sandy.

Between work and some personal stuff going on, I haven't had time to post the blooms I have photographed this week. It's been very warm here, though the sky today looks like a cold front might be moving in. I need to check out the weather report for my area!

The one above was from my Cocoa Chocolate. It finally threw an odd-ball bloom. Rather pretty if I might say so myself! Unfortunately my tag didn't stay on it.

This one is one I really like. Hannahabuki ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.