Annual pots reseed?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

As I cleaned up the last of the yard today I was pulling annuals out of the pots and got to wondering. There were seed heads on some of the plants. I saved the seeds and once I got the plants cleaned out, I shook the pods over the pots (same dirt). They are snapdragons. Is there any chance they will sprout and grow next year? Should I cover this pot in the winter like the wintersown pots, or just leave it and see what happens? Thanks for any advice.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Cathy,

I think there's a good chance that they will sprout even without being covered. However, snaps are great little winter-sowers, so you could cover the pots with some plastic that you've poked some holes in to ensure better success. This spring, I topped off a big container with soil from a windowbox that had had annuals planted in. It ended up being just filled with Crystal Palace lobelia and trailing nasturtiums that had seeded themselves. From that, I've decided that I'm going to do more direct seeding in containers.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks Susan, I'll add some fresh soil on top and cover, I just love snapdragons, they make me smile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.