First Iris blooming in the "pool" bed!

Louisville, KY

WOW I thought I'd have to wait til next year! This little baby wins the prize for the first to bloom out of the 150 or so I put in the new bed I made out of the former swimming pool area. (some may remember helping me with that.) I think I'll hang a little medal around her. Hooray I finally have a photo to share of an iris of my very own. This my friends, is "Hot."

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

worth another shot.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

ok heck. and showing the gang how it's done.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

and this one is just funny. can you see it? if you see the whole huge bed and this little tiny flower all lonely glowing in there on November 20th it's really amusing. a talisman.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looks like "HOT" is a big shot!! Hee- heeee. How fun!! And what joy that little baby gives you........yes it deserves a medal! I also loved the way you put It "showing the gang how it's done".

You know Soulja - I really like those round stepping stones you have placed around your irises to walk on. How handy they will be. What a smart idea! I bet you can't wait until spring. :-)

Thank you for sharing those pictures. I hope you share more as they all begin to bloom for you.
~Margie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your little iris is one happy camper! How nice to see it blooming so soon! The others look like they are growing nicely. Spring will be fabulous at your house.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You've done a really great job there. Please post pictures in the spring.

Hot is hot! Cool!

Louisville, KY

thanks so much. i'm so proud. when my friends (who have seen me working hard on this bed for months...) stop by i grab their hand and walk them back there to see my little "Hot". it's just the cutest thing ever.

I also just put about 600 bulbs between all the iris, keeping with a spiraling cool/warm color scheme. and what did i ask for for christmas? a compost bin. black gold by spring is my goal. and you bet i can't wait!

maybe next year i can get in on that Favorite Iris Photos of 2008 thread! Margie your photos have really inspired me all last season and well through the planning of my beds. thanks everyone.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Soulja, we are visiting in Owensboro (whitesville) and can't get over the weather. Tuesday it was 72 degrees out and we gave 3 collie dogs an outdoor bath and grooming. The petunias and shasta daisies are still blooming. Amazes me that things I transplanted in October have grown so much. This will give your new iris bed a really good start to develope a good root system. Looking forward to your 2008 iris pics.

Louisville, KY

Hi Mittsy, yeah it's crazy. i have clematis still going, roses, pineapple sage and even a few PASSIONFLOWERS! I'm glad to know that too much new growth won't harm these if a sudden freeze comes up. also, do any of you cover the rhizomes with top soil or mulch for the coldest parts of the season?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't believe you should cover the rhizomes.

South Hamilton, MA

We use pine needles as a winter mulch. This is to prevent heaving. Also it can keep ice off the rhizomes if it forms. That is probably not a worry further south. W hat has worked in past winters? Our zone is 6a, but since we are only 5 miles from the Atlantic, our beds can alternate freezing & thawing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.