winterizing fig trees before they are dormant

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

My two 8 foot tall fig trees still have their green leaves and 28-30 degree temps are predicted this week. Thursday it is supposed to "feel like" 19 degrees. I want to prune back and wrap the trees so the branches won't freeze and have to start over again next year, thus preventing their energy from going into the production of fruit ( as happened year before last). But should I strip the leaves now and prune or wait till after the first cold night, when they will probably be ready to fall off, risking some damage? Is there some simple answer to this quandary? Last year the leaves were already off before the really cold weather came.

Baltimore, MD

You don't need to worry about them until it gets to a "real" 25F or lower. I have waited until temps hit 20F to wrap my figs in fact. On the other hand you could also just wrap them now with leaves on and that is also fine -- they will fall off on their own. I wrapped my figs last weekend since I had some free time and they had about half their leaves still on 'em.

Scott

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Scott - maybe I'm too nervous about a little bit of cold. Besides, the trees are almost 4 years old now, and maybe they can stand a bit more cold. Anyhow, it's good to know they don't have to be dormant to be wrapped.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.